Author Topic: A legend takes a blow...  (Read 1002 times)

DR

A legend takes a blow...
« on: March 27, 2011, 01:33:58 am »
Stumbled upon this snippet tonight. A while back I was trying to contact John DeSoto and now I could but the timing isn't so good. I wish John all the best and much sympathy, from the sound of things he had one heck of a wife :(

Adelaide Keanuenueokalaninuiamamao "Frenchy" DeSoto, lifelong champion of Hawaiian rights and widely recognized "mother" of the Office of Hawaiian Affairs, died Friday night at the age of 81.

DeSoto had been suffering from pneumonia and congestive heart failure.

DeSoto was married to John "Cobra" DeSoto, the local motorcycle racing legend and co-founder of the Hawaii Motorsports Association. She is survived by four sons and a daughter.

The full article can be found here...http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/20110123_Tough_OHA_activist_had_heart_of_gold.html

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: A legend takes a blow...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 05:45:40 am »
I think you'll find that's his mother, not his wife.

DR

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 07:57:34 am »
I thought that ken. His mother would have only been 17 when she gave birth to John as he was born July 21, 1947. Sorry for the confusion.

TooFastTim

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 10:44:54 am »
I thought that ken. His mother would have only been 17 when she gave birth to John as he was born July 21, 1947. Sorry for the confusion.

Considering that she was born dirt-poor having a kid at 17 isn't that unusual. More power to her for pulling herself up by her bootlaces. RESPECT.

firko

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 10:59:21 am »
John DeSoto is one of my all time favourite riders and after reading his mums obituary I can see where he got his drive from. His mum was a beautiful and strong woman who's certainly left her mark on Hawaiian history. Her son Johns story is equally as inspiring.