Author Topic: Your fav mods to your classic bike.  (Read 8363 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Your fav mods to your classic bike.
« on: March 25, 2011, 11:57:55 am »
Hey Guy's,

I was just interested in what were your favourite mods were back in the day, mine were ......

Suzuki TM125L

Filtron airfilter.
Bassani exhaust or Terry Bryant modded (shortened) stocker.
Skunkworks rear suspension linkages.
Koni finned, alloy bodied rear shocks.
Preston Petty front guard.
TS100 kickstart lever.
ATF fork oil.
ATF gearbox oil.
B9EN spark plug.
Castrol R30 two-stroke oil.

Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

DR

Re: Your fav mods to your classic bike.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 09:30:19 pm »
John, I think my fav mod was running Bel-Ray MC-1. Never really modded much but spent lots of time making sure things worked how they should ;)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 09:38:46 pm »
Not too many for me, but definitely the old Preston Petty guard and headlight, ATF in the forks, Bassani or EDC chamber, Koni or Boge shocks and Holden valve springs in the forks, and big wide solid alloy bars.

I had a DT250A with Konis, EDC chamber, big bashplate, trailer light on rubber flap for a taillight, TY headlight and Petty hex grips. I thought that was so cool!

Offline mustanggrahame

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 09:50:15 pm »
I agree with Doc. Not any modifications as such. Back when I raced I had the belief that Yamaha knew much more about their bike than me or DG or Boysen, etc did. I would spend money on tyres. The suspension, I would set up as best I could. The carby would be tuned. Then just ride the thing. Get it running as it should.
Cheers, Grahame.
RT1, DT1F, MX100A, TY80A, YZ80D, DT125E, CR125RE, 1982 KTM125RV, 1985 Can Am ASE, 1989 YZ250WR, 1991 YZ250WR

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 10:26:12 pm »
On my RM125B it was bigger carby, Mototek ignition, long travel S&W shocks, Metzeler tyres and Tony D Preston Petty front guard.

firko

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 11:00:15 pm »
I'm one of those blokes who live by the credo "the slower you are the faster your bike must be". I hotted nearly every bike I've owned but I kept my Maicos surprisingly stock in comparison. To use my MC350 square barrel as an example, here's the basics from 40 years of ownereship.
*Replace brittle fibreglass fenders with aftermarket plastic items. (then Pacifico  now DC opaque)
*Replace tank with alloy version. (then '74 Lyta Vic Eastwood....now 77 AW or '74 narrow coffin)
*Replace shocks (then Koni steel and then finned alloy....now Works Performance and currently YSS)
*Replace full width front brake (then conical DT2MX Yamaha.....now 77AW conical Maico)
*Replace original bolt on cross bar handlebars (then and now Inter-Am solid alloy)
*Replace slippery tubular pegs (hen home made serrated mild steel...now Wheelsmith steel)
*Replace Carburettor (then 34mm Mikuni ....now 38mm Bing from a Husky)
*Replace stock points ignition (then stock points....now PVL)
*Replace original big clutch with later small dia version (then, '74 Maico 440 small dia...today '81 Maico forged basket and Barnett plates.)
*Replaced stock pipe numerous times with '74 440 Wheelsmith pipe and the current Peter Reynolds fatty being the only pipes that made any noticable difference.
Back in 1973 or so I had Gary Treadwell blueprint and champfer the ports without modifying them very much. Later on in the 90's I had the head machined to replicate the Magnum era "square wall" combustion chamber but the perforrmance difference was minimal. I used Castrol TTS oil for 20 years when on Petrol and Catrol R when on methanol and only had one engine failure, in 1991 when the inlet manifold rubber came adrift and it sucked in a whole bunch of Dargle sand. I now use Motorex.

I have a few little personal mods like Wheelsmith fork dampers, Vintage Iron springs, Wheelsmith air caps, Wheelsmith brake stay/chain guide and brake pedal, Webco gas cap, alloy airbox, Twin-Air filter, alloy Boyd and Stellings swingarm and later alloy back hub but stuff is just bling that has little bearing on the bikes performance. They're just the folly of an old Maico tragic keeping his pride and joy looking pretty. ;D

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 08:07:13 am by firko »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 11:31:19 pm »
My favorite mods are usually

1. change the swing arm to something old and weird or convert it to mono shock
2. change the tank to something else
3 then finally actually change the frame completely
4. plus trick forks get extra points

In fact normally I start with a single part like swing arm or tank and work from there.
formerly Marc.com

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 12:00:51 am »
Back in the day I had no money and the local shop had bugger all stuff.  I did put a Torque pipe on my TT500 and it flew.  Amongst a sea of peers on YZ and RM80's I was a legend . The girls loved me and the boys hated me.

Thanks to mature finnancial decisions and ebay I have another TT500 this time with a Wiseco 540 kit, DG steel swingarm, solid alloy bars, White brothers pipe, Pro fab tripple trees, Pro tec fork air caps and oil tank cap,  OGK natural colour hex grips,  I'm trying to build the bike I couldn't when I was 15.  Now, if only I could order a new Dick Mann frame....

Captain Bilko

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 08:08:09 am »
Sometime in the 1980's it must have been all the rage to toss your motor/tank/frame and suspension for something from an earlier version or just drop an XT 500 motor into your perfectly good YZ.
Being an inter-bred hillbilly, I didn't get to see it that often.

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 09:08:16 am »
Ran into an irish guy at wonthaggi races with a yz 125 that had full air shocks no springs.I looked at my RM125S and made a set af air caps with hoses and small air res and a guage removed springs added oil and ran these forks for around three months. Chris Oldfield won the 125 race at christmas hills on this bike, other mods were skyway muffler port job and jetting by Highway Motorcycles Me! 275x21 front 410 supper digger on rear. alloy bars those heavy solid things waffle grips. God i loved that bike..... sold it and got rm125 six speed god i hated that bike, well not hated but i just wasn't as sweeeet as the old "S"
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!

oldfart

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 09:23:36 am »
Generaly clean ports up. 
Replace reeds with boysen 

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 09:40:21 am »
other than a bassani pipe and Bert Kingston kit on my XR75 I saved like mad and bought a Mugen ME250 kit for my 1980 CR250 when I couldn't afford an 81 model?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 10:05:36 am »
Never went too radicle as reliability and cost was always priority nd it was always a road registered trailie.

Dress the piston and clean dags  from ports.

Change stinger to a chrome VW beatle one.

1" intake manifold extension.

Rejet stock carby to suit.

Preston petty's front and rear and clip on  headlight.

Yokahama super digger on the back  or a trelleborg if we were riding hard gravel.

Air caps  double fork seals and nice soft grips .

S&W koni or mulholland shocks.

suzuki43

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 10:15:21 am »
other than a bassani pipe and Bert Kingston kit on my XR75 I saved like mad and bought a Mugen ME250 kit for my 1980 CR250 when I couldn't afford an 81 model?
Aha!! Rossco what a coincidence I was only reading the Trail and track magazine that you wrote your article about the Mugen kit on your 1980 CR,last week.I knew it was you!!
Nice work.
I wonder what happened to your old bike?????

suzuki43

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 10:22:45 am »
And before I get tarred and feathered for changing tack on this thread,I will add my ten cents.....
I reckon the best mod I have done to my vintage bike is rebuilding the engine-bottom end up.
So many of these old girls get a new piston slapped in,and are then considered "rebuilt"

Apart from that,my personal favourites are the adjustable struts,twinair single sided airbox,and Ceet safety seat I added to my "old girl":