Author Topic: A funny thing happened…  (Read 1942 times)

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
A funny thing happened…
« on: March 03, 2011, 12:49:48 pm »
I was sitting in my office last night colour correcting Issue 45 [off to the printers soon!!] when there was this loud cracking noise from the garage.

I jumped up to take a look, but all seemed fine. I was expecting to find an RM125 frame on the bonnet of my car.

Then I noticed that a couple of rims I have hanging from the roof we swaying - so I took a better look and it seems that one of the old rims just decided to explode at the weld line. Must have been stressed over the years and finally gave up the ghost.

Scared the livin' daylights out of me though.

Has anybody seen [or heard] of this before?
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: A funny thing happened…
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 03:33:33 pm »
Type cracked rim into search & scroll down to " what is that?" it,s 6 from the top cheers Smed

firko

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 04:15:18 pm »
Yeah Jeff, while it doesn't happen every day, it's a fairly common thing with old DID or Akront rims. I was working in the shed on Sunday arvo and I heard a ringing like two rims hitting together. Thinking it was the cat rummaging through my rim stash I didn't worry about it. A couple of weeks later I was going through them and found an XL Honda DID front rim split and seperate just like yours. There's a thread elsewhere on here (Alison?) describing others experiences with split rims.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 04:36:23 pm »
.... a fairly common thing with old DID ... rims.

I've got a pair of DID rims from an '04 CRF - virtually brand new, but both have opened up at the join.

Also have a number of late 80s ~ mid 90s DIDs that have cracked around the spoke holes (cracks point to the next spoke, not to the bead).

F$%King DID rubbish!

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 05:15:19 pm »
Yes i have seen that happen too on a gold front Yamaha rim, but it was after it had a hard life. It was also hanging up and just popped open.

That is disgraceful Nathan that that can happen of virtually new 2004 rims. What are they makign them out of?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 05:17:10 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline ksithumper

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 05:36:35 pm »
Nordisk rims on late 70's/80's Husky's are very prone to this.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 03:14:10 pm »
It just shows I should pay more attention!!  :)
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 08:48:57 am »
I was in the shed (old farm shed ) working in the rm and heard a similar thing and then a frog screaming looked up and see big F$^&ing snake eating same frog. At first i thought my ring would break. OH Rim split sorry i was on another track.
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!