Author Topic: Just too cheap…  (Read 4718 times)

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
Just too cheap…
« on: February 25, 2011, 11:47:28 am »
I have had to purchase an Apple iPad for some work projects.

Seeing as it is sitting here gathering a bit of dust after hours  I decided to get digital subscriptions to a few of my favourite motorcycle magazines.

I normally get an airmail copy Cycle World at Borders for $16.95. The digital subscription is $12.00. Not much of a saving I hear you say, but that is $12.00 for the YEAR, yes its only a dollar an issue.

When you buy as many magazines as I do, this is going to save me a fortune.

I will still purchase printed copies of the titles I been collecting for 30 years, but for the others this is great value.

VMX42  ;D
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Just too cheap…
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 11:58:21 am »
Wow

I imagine by the time we die a lot of things will be very different.

Like the economies of our countries, when they figure out how to extract excise for fueling up an electric car fitted with a solar panel ::)
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 11:58:55 am »
I posted on that a while back Jeff, they are as cheap as chips. In one promotion I got MXA for something like $7 for a year and that Classic Dirt UK mag for about $15 for the year. The downside is that I way prefer an actual magazine, but it's not too bad. I currently subscribe to MXA, Dirt Rider, Classic Dirt, RacerX and Popular Photography.

I use Zinio. Who are you using?

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 12:16:33 pm »
I posted on that a while back Jeff, they are as cheap as chips. In one promotion I got MXA for something like $7 for a year and that Classic Dirt UK mag for about $15 for the year. The downside is that I way prefer an actual magazine, but it's not too bad. I currently subscribe to MXA, Dirt Rider, Classic Dirt, RacerX and Popular Photography.

I use Zinio. Who are you using?

Sorry about that Graeme, I can't keep track of all the good stuff on OzVMX.  :D  And I am never an early adopter of new technologies.

As I said I am only subscribing to the magazines that I don't actually collect, so the local newsagents don't have that much to fear.  And I totally agree it doesn't beat holding a mag in your hands, but I am fast running out of storage space, so this will only help.

Yeah, Cycle World uses Zinio. It all depends on which distribution platform they choose, but Zinio seems the most popular so far.

VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 12:25:42 pm »
Hey Graeme,
I didn't realise you could get digital copies of CDB till I just read you post.

8 minutes later, and I have subscribed, paid and already downloaded and reading Issue 18. Four issue for 10 quid. Fantastic.  ;D

Like a kid in a candy shop…
VMX42

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 02:58:13 pm »
Borders and cohort company Angus and Robertson Books are now in receivership with managers appointed... blaming loss of sales to the internet.....  ::)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 03:32:30 pm »
Borders and cohort company Angus and Robertson Books are now in receivership with managers appointed... blaming loss of sales to the internet.....  ::)

Hey Tim,
It is the choice of individual publishers whether or not they offer digital subscriptions of their titles. I'm not downloading titles illegally, I am still paying the publisher for his work - how they can make a buck at $1 copy is anybodies guess, but I didn't set the rate - I am only surprised by it.

If you saw the size of my magazine collection you would know that I could never be accused of not supporting the newsagents of Australia.  :D

As for Borders/Angus & Robertsons laying blame at internet sales - that is a simple 'cop out' for a difficult situation. You can't tell me you haven't wandered into a Borders store and seen all the people sitting around reading the latest titles and then putting them back on the shelves and walking out. They are riddled with huge stock levels, the cost of enormous floor spaces, complete with lounges and comfy chairs and coffee shops - all of which add to the cost of their books/magazines. I get the feeling that the public don't value these creature comforts as much as cheaper books.

Having said that it is always sad when a major employer has tough times - but times and markets change and Borders will have to change with them to survive [it is the same challenge that every business faces].

And also, I am not sure that Borders showed any compassion when they drove all the local neighbourhood bookstores too the wall - they would have claimed that in a free-market economy it is survival of the fittest, well now it is their turn to adapt or die.

Also remember that the advent of digital publishing of magazines and books will also open up huge opportunities for publishers to market niche titles far more cost effectively. It also opens up self publishing to authors who otherwise would never have access to a market. So I think it is not all bad, but change is always difficult.

VMX42
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 03:38:22 pm by vmx42 »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 03:50:05 pm »
I still reckon you'll need some kind of indexing on that applepie thingee gig vmx42,,find any XL Cheney/Ribi bike articles..  ;D
Best thing VMX mag did was put that index/article page up  8)  :-*
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline 500Fool

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 03:57:39 pm »
What's it like to read those things? Most news now you can read online but the adds and banners make it unreadable for me. Do the mags have advertising through articles? Are pictures resonable res?

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 04:36:35 pm »
The digital issues I have seen are exactly the same as the printed version - ads and all.

There is a new suite of software in beta testing that will open up what is achieveable in this market to include video links, 360° panoramas with image scrolling, sound bites and many other things that are not possible on the printed page.

Yes you can zoom in on text and images if they are too small to read, but this is a hangover from the fact that currrently the files are just a conversion of the printed page artwork and not really optimised for the iPad screen size. This will change in time and only improve.

They won't stop me buying printed magazines, but it is nice to have the option.

cheers A

Funny Alison, I thought a womans memory was already perfect? They always seem to be able to recall any and all facts during any argument you have with one.

I must have been mistaken.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 04:38:35 pm by vmx42 »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 05:07:34 pm »
cheers A
Funny Alison, I thought a womans memory was already perfect? They always seem to be able to recall any and all facts during any argument you have with one.
I must have been mistaken.  ;)

Oh !! so thats why marriage's fail..  ;D
Bait not taken  ;)
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 05:25:39 pm »
Bait not taken  ;)

Now where is the fun in that.  ;D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 05:31:16 pm »
Back to the topic..vmx42 can you get moto-retro on dig subscription or just some mags ??
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 05:36:12 pm »
Back to the topic..vmx42 can you get moto-retro on dig subscription or just some mags ??
cheers A

The quickest way is to go to https://www.zinio.com and take a look. They are as shop front subsciption service for 100's of publishers around the world.

Or go to the magazine web site of your choice and see if they offer it. Every publisher is different [and I don't know what kind of magazines you read  ;)].

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 07:57:10 pm »
 Whoa Calm down my friend 42  ;) most definitely not having go at ya.  I just happened to hear that snippet on the ABC news radio that day and thought it was  somewhat relevant to your post. Have used internet service for  Ethernet publications too .Cheers :) Tim754
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.