Author Topic: Dealing with Ebay hassles?  (Read 21398 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with Ebay hassles?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 07:00:37 pm »
i got jammed  by 2 differant sellers overseas after 50 emails covering everything they said before i bid, after 4 weeks we were getting nowhere ( avoid the peanut call supermex ?) in the end i said jam it and logged with paypal - he refunded in full withing 4 hours.

second peanut sold me a dud multi meter, turned up not working, dealer pissed me about for 2 weeks in the end loged with paypal on the $14, got a full refund next morning :O)

last time i got bad feedback only 2 in 350 trans, i left not only shit feedback on this prick but responded to the feedback he left me, if you get shit feedback makeshure you respond to it by going into the feedback area as you can leave feedback on there feedback - give you a chance to bag em once more or explain to other why they gave you shit feedback.  if i read the reason there im likely to reread both parties feedback to see who is the dud.  WHATEVER YOU DO LEAVE SHIT FEEDBACK other wise the rest of us get riped too, i hate people who get worried about bad feedback if the seller is a shitter, peple need to start posting it other wise it makes the whole feedback system a JOKE.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline gorby

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 08:27:21 pm »
I am not real impressed with the new e-bay system of not disclosing the bidders user name on purchases over $500.

I could tell if the seller constantly sold to one particular buyer (stooge mate?)

and also if someone else i know was bidding (probably why they changed it)

but then again I've never purchased any $500 items

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 09:19:45 pm »
i thought i didnt show it any more at the front page ?  if you click on the number of bids i usually show you the bidder names, but more im portantly if they have 2 bids and the same bidder you know they have closed it out with a higher second bid after they thought they really needed to put in a great bid to cover there shitty first one :O)
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 09:25:06 pm »
Doc, here's a quick rundown on my dealing with ephantcc.

Bought a DT175A swing arm for $9.99.
Got slugged with $20 for postage.
Sent him an email politely making it clear that I knew that $20 is a rip off.
Nothing for ~2 weeks.
Sent anothe email saying "Did you get my first email?"
Got a reply (and I quote in full): "$20".
Yeah, OK buddy, serves me right for not checking postage costs first.
Go and do the checkout thing and on top of the rip off postage there's an extra handling charge of $2 (WTF!?).
Coughed up the dough, but was pissed off.
Item turns up, with $11.15 postage...

Now, charging a handling fee when you've almost doubled the postage cost is just not cricket in my books. Because I'd studied his form, I asked for a refund (and explained why) before handing out the neg feedback.
To my surprise, he offers me a $5 refund!
Sweet - thanks - you're only half the wanker I'd thought you were. Maybe this will have a happy ending after all.
Send him my account details.
Nothing.
We're now another two weeks down the track and I've still heard nothing.
Sent another email earlier this arvo - I'll keep you posted.

I know I'm not the only forum member to have had hassles with him.
Check his ebay feedback like my other idiot, he keeps his own feedback rating looking good effectively by bullying people with retalitory feedback when they (at least sometimes) fairly hand out neg feedback. Sure you have to deal with plenty of idiots as an Ebay seller, but treating everyone like shit is not a good way to do business in my books... And as a business, he has to understand that customer dissatisfaction will sometimes result in public posts like this one... :)
As you say, it's a small world - and it works both ways. ;)

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Doc

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 07:48:56 am »
Nathan I reckon buying on ebay is like playing poker. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. If you expect to win all the time then you're being very silly and will most surely get pissed when someone burns you be it an honest mistake or not. All this bullshit for $5 or $10. You said you'd had a good run basically and I'll bet some of the deals you got were absolute bargains. Did you feel like telling the sellers that the bargain item you just won is worth so much more and you will send him more cash? If you wish to avoid these situations on postage email the seller before auction end and confirm the postage. If you're not happy don't bid. As for the item not being what it states well that happens too unfortunately. Maybe the item 'did' work before it was packed.  It can happen. People get burned left right and center on ebay for many reasons but ultimately you are buying items sight unseen and commonsense says this is crazy.
Freaky, unless the item is a biggy and the payment was of a corrosponding size then "if you're a seller also" the negative feedback will hurt your rep no matter what. I don't sit and go back through everyones history, I have a quick look at the stats and if there looks like theres been trouble before then I'll steer clear no matter who is at fault. I've bought/sold over 500 (300 different sellers and buyers) items on ebay with 1 negative and that negative was simply because I didn't read the description fully and didn't double check with the seller first. My mistake! I regret leaving that feedback in hindsight but I got the shits too till I cooled off and looked at things with a little more perspective. I don't like handing over money for an item that isn't what it's stated to be either but I accept it is an online auction with no guarantee's..it's the luck of the draw I'm afraid. As they say, if you don't want to get burned then stay out of the kitchen ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 07:52:42 am by Doc »

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 08:46:01 am »
I think eBay's a wonderful application of the internet, and it makes it possible to buy things from all over the world that you may never had the opportunity to even see, let alone own.

I also have had over 600 transactions privately, including some pretty high value ones internationally.  I have had a few transactions where I have been a little dissatisfied arising from poor and/or deceptive descriptions of the item, but by far the greatest majority of eBay sellers are normal honest people like you an me  ;)

The key is to take the time to fully evaluate whatever it is you are buying, BEFORE bidding.  Check the sellers feedback, analyse the description fully, check out the photos (and request more if they don't give you what you want to see), make sure you fully understand the possible freight charge (again ask for a quote if not specified in the listing).  Generally, you should steer clear of inexperienced sellers, i.e. those with <5 feedback ratings - they can be very unaware of what they are doing on eBay and there's a large risk of misunderstandings.  If an inexperienced seller has something listed that you absolutely have to win, then contact the seller and work through your expectations with him via email/message prior to the auction ending.  Usually, they will appreciate the assistance. :)  I have bought items interstate worth >$1000 from sellers with 0 feedback, but only after I had been in touch and had a chance to assess their bona fides.

In Mid-Ohio, I took delivery of one of my recent eBay purchases, a KX250A5, which I bought for US$2600.  This might seem risky, but the bike is in unreal original condition and I had a few offers while it was sitting in the swapmeet area for as much as US$5000.  I could have sold it multiple times.... :o  (but of course I didn't want to sell it).  So I am a particularly happy eBay customer in relation to that purchase!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 09:50:46 am by AjayVMX »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 09:22:35 am »
Nathan I reckon buying on ebay is like playing poker. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. If you expect to win all the time then you're being very silly and will most surely get pissed when someone burns you be it an honest mistake or not. All this bullshit for $5 or $10. You said you'd had a good run basically and I'll bet some of the deals you got were absolute bargains. Did you feel like telling the sellers that the bargain item you just won is worth so much more and you will send him more cash? If you wish to avoid these situations on postage email the seller before auction end and confirm the postage. If you're not happy don't bid. As for the item not being what it states well that happens too unfortunately. Maybe the item 'did' work before it was packed.  It can happen. People get burned left right and center on ebay for many reasons but ultimately you are buying items sight unseen and commonsense says this is crazy.

Quoted for truth.

But as a buyer, leaving feedback is my right.
I'm not sending him letter bombs, or threatening to come over and beat him up or anything - I'm honestly rating my Ebay experience with the seller, and so far, it's been negative. *shrugs*

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 06:15:41 pm »
And there you go.... $5 appeared in my account today!
So while I'm disappointed that I had to hassle, alls well that ends well, I guess.

:)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 10:51:12 pm »
your all right the oppertunity toi find all the shit we need for xcellant prices is only ruined by a few peanuts.  overal you have to smile at the kewl stuff you get to find.  and spew at teh stuff you had to pay full tote odds for at you local bike shop a few years back when you had to litterly beg them to sell it to you.  its swings and round abouts, just need to limit the loses hey :)  keep swinging lads keep swinging  !
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 09:47:38 am »
I basically agree with the comments - take the good with the bad and be aware that sometimes there will be a bad.  Unfortunately mine was a local Australian who tried to rip me off for postage ($15 to US $60 Melb to Perth).  When questioned he relisted and resold the items, left me negative feedback and raised disputes with ebay against me all the while still having my $114.  He sent obnoxious and rather unpleasant emails as well.  Ebay support was non existent and paypal said they couldn't help either as the time had elapsed.  Dont worry in this small community he will be remembered - I dont bag him in public but certainly let people know if they ask?  One day I will run into him and will be able to discuss the issue face to face.

regards

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2007, 09:56:08 am »
You should tell everyone his eBay ID publically  :(  You don't have to name him of course ;)

As you say the eBay support structure is toothless.  Irresponsible sellers should be exposed so that they can't do it to others in my view. >:(

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2007, 02:08:31 pm »
we should have an forum post regarding "seller ID to check closer"

Can we start one ? we dont had to say what happend just the ID and who posted it , that way we can do our own feedback by PM the person that posted it. and if its a forum buddy maybe we can work it out better.

Forwarned is fortold, i have been pinned a few Bad email from good old bill the bike seller, only cause i bought a better bike elswhere, he got the shit up and started bagging me in emails, problem as he has enemy and freinds here so i would bother posting that local bitchin,

but i think Ebay id's to make your own mind up on would be good for us all and also give us a second chance in not getting stung or better still, stop some of these poor sellers ripping us all off one aftet the other, no bids = no sales and sooner or latter they hopefully get the message.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline BJJ

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Remote PC
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2007, 03:10:56 pm »
Can anyone help with details of a recent post about a guy in USA that will take USA only deliveries and send them on to us OZVMXer's. Got a feeling that it was lost in the old database.  Urgent, next few hours pls.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 07:03:53 pm »
maico buddy ?
74 Yamaha  flattracker's