Author Topic: Customs broker costs????  (Read 5912 times)

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
Customs broker costs????
« on: February 15, 2011, 01:43:37 pm »
Hi all,

I just wanted to get some feedback on the cost of importing a bike and if I'm being totally ripped off!?

I have bought and shipped an RM465Z from the US with the shipping organised by an agent in the US - they used Schumachers Logistics (a US shipping company) who in turn are using Freightnet International here in Sydney as their Customs broker - I wasn't given a choice or a chance to shop around on the broker (if that is normal practice)

I was quoted $900 US shipping and was told that I would be up for some duties and quarantine inspection costs at my end - I estimated $500(ish) on a $US2,300 bike

The ship is due in port in about a week and I have just been given a list of possible costs from the customs broker that in all likelyhood will cost $700 - $1000+ before I even pay duty!!

Is this just a case of me being totally naive or am I being sucker punched as I would have thought that these other costs (excl duties) would have been included in the original shipping cost quoted?

Costs quoted are as follows

Formal clearance $135
Port service charge $184.08 ($65 per CM)
Terminal handling charge $56.64 ($20 per CM)
Quarantine entry (if required) $139
Quarantine attendance $35
Quarantine inspection $75
E.H.C $10
Security surcharge $10
Delivery order $65
Shipping line document fee $20
Customs lodgement fee $70
Posts & Pettis $5
Cargo Automation / CMR $40
Steam Clean $250 - I did ask the seller to make sure it was spotless so fingers crossed

Any enlightenment you can provide would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Bitten

The best of both worlds! - '82 RM465Z & '10 KTM 530 EXC

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Customs broker costs????
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 01:44:49 pm »
PS Plus GST!!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 02:28:57 pm »
as they are the freight forwarder you should only be responsible for the freight on goods/board charge ( the physical transport in container maybe $800-$1,000 )

then on top of that there are SET Govt fees, so the only other fees should be:

import approval $50 ( you could have done that)
customs clearance $95.00
Quarrentine $125.00
Duty on goods $ 255.00 ( thats a rate for items over $1,000 declared)

the rest is just cost passed on to you by the forwarder, there not real costs in a normal transaction
they should be able to provide you a breakdown from the agent listing fees paid out

there will be an enrty total somewhere with all the duty, customs and aqis roll ups on it that comes to a final figure, thats will show all the federal cost.  anything else has been tacked on by your forwarder, some of which may or may not be required or infact are done.  like steam clean etc.

me thinks you should have done this before you shipped the bike.  you would have been better off asking us or shipping with robyn or similar that specialse in bikes.

generally a bike with that value should have cost you all up about $ 1,800 to get here. So based on that number, you will need to do your own maths to see if your on a winner or losing deal here.

I always work on the price of the bike doubled, seems to be close enought to make a judgment as to whether its worth the money or not, and easy to see if it s a cheap bike deal or a HF.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:31:00 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 02:33:45 pm »
PS Plus GST!!
did you declare it for more than a $1,000 ? then you have gst on that as well.

be careful as GST is only paid on some portions of the import bill itself too, general thats not the fed fees and levies, the GSt on all of the customs fees and stuff etc is only about $22
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 02:44:20 pm »
Thanks Freakshow

Yes honest me stated the full price of $US2,300

As this is my first crack at this it came as a bit of a shock!! So I am a little bit wiser (and poorer!)

At the end of the day I will still have the bike i always wanted but not quite the bargin I thought

Cheers

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 03:19:32 pm »
if like across the ditch take seat,side covers etc off and tyre if naffed and bring in as parts bike may be less duty/tax it is over here
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 05:02:38 pm »
you have gst  to pay not just on the bike you also get to pay gst on the shipping as well,there is an unloading fee transport fee etc,etc,etc washing i love that one aqis justifing their jobs basicly a bonus for the broker i would have charged around $1200 for a $2300 bike landed in my shop ready for you to pick up .i really really hope you have import approval for the bike,otherwise you might as well wosrk away from the bike my last lot of import approvals took 9wks tho this did include christma

MURN

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 07:06:32 pm »
Bitten,

Have you got the import approval thats first step? You will find the brokers charges will be fairly similar to others give or take a couple of hundred .The broker has to pay out all the shipping ,local transport,duty/gst and Quarantine fees on your behalf and these will be your main costs.The broker will be trying to avoid storage charges for the importer so act quickly.If you have the approval and time you can clear it yourself but the couple of hundred they charge will be a gift if you have had to clear something on formal entry(over $1000 value).If you havent got the permit approval see if the broker can move goods to a cheaper storage customs bond.May save you some $.Good luck

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 07:49:34 pm »
guys guys guys
all bikes i import cost 500.00 total 1 even only cost me 250.00.
unless you want to regester the bike for the road different story there
break the bike into parts import it that way
i have been doing this for over 10 years now
450.00 cubic meter plus gst on freight.
last lot was 5 large boxes of parts  cost 125.00 total

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 07:58:47 pm »
3 maicos, as is pre 88 no title plus 6 boxes off parts. 1500 bucks the lot/ gift wrapped to boot
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 08:00:37 pm by paul »

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 08:09:59 pm »
Mate just bought in two Harley's worth $10K each and cost him $4,000 for both landed.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 09:00:10 pm »
Hmmm yeah i was also thinking it would be far cheaper to bring a bike in in separate parcels over the space of a few weeks. As long as you declare each parcel under $1000 worth and go with USPS you wont have any fees or GST. The hardest part is to find a 'mate' to pull it apart for you and pack it tight in small packages etc. Also helps if you get all the fuids drained eg trans oil, fork and shock oils. if you bring the stuff over in boxes the longest it would take is 2 weeks, and you dont have to worry about stuff sitting at wharfs at customs go through all that BS and being charfge by the minute for how long you bike is sitting there or what ever ridiculous fee they charge.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 09:05:15 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 09:50:06 pm »
Hey guys

Firstly I have an import permit but this is my first crack at importing a bike, I am not savvy in the way of tweaking the system or breaking up the bike in parts.

I found a bike OS in good nick at what I thought was a fair price and a guy (after going through some due diligence and other checks) that I thought I could trust. I even trawled through every website known to man, spoke to customs and quarantine  and other assorted sites and no one ever mentioned or advertised the long list of charges I'm up for.

While the guy in the US is not at fault when he tells me its $900 US to ship I think, well it's $900 US to ship

I have been honest with the taxman on this one but next time I may have to think it through!

Maybe we set up a step by step process on this sight, along with contacts that assist people on what and what not to do..... (pay the right tax though in case big brother is watching!)

Cheers

Bitten

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 10:51:40 pm »
BITTEN
there is no tax on motorcycle parts at all.

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 12:47:49 pm »
hers some prices this a for a container
destination port charges 342
customs clearance195
cargo management re engineering 45 fkd if i know what that one is
delivery order fee75
quarantine lodgement45
quarantinefaculty fee 85
quarantine inspection attendance 125
wharf booking fee -container slot 7.50
truck delivery side loader 222.50
fuel surcharge 25
unpacking fee 327
dispose of dunnage-packing185
all the above plus gst ,plus your costs plus the usa end plus gst on the bikes them selves plus most prob a couple of things i have missed like cost of shipping the container ,washing,reinspection etc