Author Topic: Hello From Melbourne (Kawasaki F11B)  (Read 55751 times)

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Hello From Melbourne (Kawasaki F11B)
« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2011, 08:21:15 pm »
played around with fuel hose setup tonight, still not 100% happy will need to buy a shorter inline filter this one is too long.

re positioned the 9V battery pack, found perfect location that hides most but lets switch hang out.

rewired the power and tacho wires to run in separate conduit just in case was causing some interference.

at the moment i have 4 wraps around plug lead which is fluctuating too much, looked through manual today and says to connect wire to the connector that joins the stator wire to the coil.....ill test im guessing its the black wire from ignition or what they call stator....it much be able to pick up the pulse from there...will see, otherwise there are a few other options they mention or worst is just trying different numbers of wraps around spark lead till steady +-100rpm jumps

blead the oil pump further....a few more bubbles came through then stopped....smoking a bit more now which is good not too much on idle, more on blips etc...

Clutch didnt work tonight, all i did was start and try to move forward...raining heavy outside....worked fine last night so i just think it needs half an hour riding etc...will see.

*wire hanging down is the temp sensor is ziptied up now

cheers

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:23:04 pm by JADERD »

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2011, 11:13:27 am »
Had my VJMC inspection last night, passed with flying colors so bike will have plates by mid next week :)

bike started fine again last night, temp sensor working fine, 5 mins of running and temp showed 53 degrees celcius so will see what op temp seems to be

clutch stalled first attempt (fairly cold just started), so rolled off in second then clutch worked straight away and continued to work even after turning off for 15 mins etc so i think its all good.

Saw box on front step when i left house this morning, must have arrived yesterday, just that i always enter house via garage.

Nice surprise and very quick delivery - Unifilter and oil. Brilliant

Newbie question, from a quick glance it appears you unfold the filter to being one long 35cm long cylinder, slide that into cage then fold each end back over to meet in the middle ?

cheers

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #152 on: September 22, 2011, 02:43:15 pm »
Not sure with the filter but normally they are just a slip over deal. So long as it seals against the airbox case at the outlet is the important thing. Be on the road in no time now ;)

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 22, 2011, 08:58:24 pm »
Filter worked a treat, it does go inside cage then you fold back over each end to join in the middle, worked great.... The uni filter oil is nice n sticky

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #154 on: September 23, 2011, 05:06:47 am »
The uni filter oil is nice n sticky

:D yeah, I loathe getting that stuff on my mitts and usually have plastic bags on my hands when going anywhere near it. The 'No Toil' oil is good, biodegradable and washes off easily with soap and water ;)

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2011, 08:06:35 am »
yeah i went to grab a pair of latex gloves out of the packet and all gone :( so found some in bathroom that misses normally uses for hair dye...

the gloves came as a pack of 100, started using them when putting bike back together, generally go through 2 pairs per visit to garage, so on that math putting the bike back together was around 20 garage stints +.....some of them 8hrs long....bikes take a while eh :)

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 24, 2011, 06:24:28 pm »
Bike now basically complete so took some pics today as only thing i need to do is sort out the tacho which im not too fussed about...being a 2 stroke who really cares what the tacho says lol

Fitted the Scott handlebar grips now i know the perches dont need to be removed etc
Fiitted the cable/lever guards
Fitted some small little mirrors, are supposed to be used as handlebar end mirrors, i just undid them, removed that part and with some fuel hose as space filler fitted them up to the thinner cross bar no prob, work well and aren't too obtrusive or ugly
Fitted a new inline fuel filter, nice and small one, also new fuel hose, proper fuel hose and 4 small clamps to ensure all tight.
Fitted the uni filter the other night, went fine & added the sticker they supplied to top of oil cover.
checked over lots of nuts and bolts as its been running / vibrating for 30 mins now
adjusted throttle play at handlebar and removed the excess
adjusted from axle nuts as noticed one nut was on more than other meaning one hadnt been able to bite a lot of thread.
noticed it spits a bit of oil out around exhaust housing where exhaust slips in etc, think this was mainly due to the excess oil when bleeding pump etc...doesnt spit out much, you cannot see exhaust gasses coming out though when rev it etc.
Made up a decent tool set, most of the stock stuff + a little more filled the normal tool box, then i used the Kellys enduro fender bag i bought to hold a little torch, a range of assorted sockets that fit the important nuts and bolts and a multitool, zip ties, tape etc.  Will run with this on the back for the first while just incase something happens i should have most of what i need to fix it.

Pics below as usual ;)

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #157 on: September 24, 2011, 06:59:20 pm »
Looks good Simon, congratulations. You will find the exhaust will leak a little around the slip in flange. If you do find the spattering of oil on the back of the mudguard upsetting at any time simply take off the pipe, apply a bead of clear silicon to either the pipe or the inner flange (or both) when it's refitted wipe off any excess and the leak will cease ;)

Offline philthy

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2011, 07:26:44 pm »
Well done,it's a very satisfying feeling when you finally finish a project.Enjoy it!iI'll get the racks sent asap,also found some original blinkers if you want them.
yz125d yz250g yz250f it250j rm125b rm125a

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 24, 2011, 08:15:25 pm »
Cheers mate, feel free to chuck them in the post with the racks in if you can, i can always pass them onto others i may find who need them, pretty sure my originals are ok...havent really looked.

Im looking forward to Wed night when i should be able to actually rev it out a little through the gears, so far ive been a good boy and just ridden it on a vacant block beside my house.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 25, 2011, 04:40:56 am »
Great work Simon, it's a credit to you.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 25, 2011, 07:40:50 am »
Another old relic returns to life.....good job Simon, enjoy it. ;D
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 28, 2011, 10:22:02 am »
got these this morning :)

....pity Melbournes weather is crap today and tomorrow....might not get a proper ride in before i head to thailand for 10 days.

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 11, 2011, 12:02:40 pm »
ok had first ride on the road yesterday, just in and around the estate i live in.

at first bike felt wierd and wobbly....due to the 9 psi mainly in the tyres, topped up to 25psi, felt better, though both front and rear have slight buckles i think which ill attend to in time, main problem was the tyre flex with low PSI i think.

now only thing im not sure of is operating temp of bike.....the temp sensor which is slipped under one of the 12mm ( i think) cylinder head bolts.

it peaked at 139 degrees celsius at one point.....on the net ive come across a few things where ppl say around up to 310 farenheit is the max they expect etc so around 180 celcius...does this sound about correct ?

bike felt ok, no pinging that i could hear, i checked air screw turned all way in which coincided with flat head screw line being perfectly vertical, so backed it out 1 and 3/4 as per manual.

bike stammered a little in say 3rd gear when wrapping on throttle.

Checked plug which looked oil fouled yet normal re top color being chocolate like.

i have swapped in a brand new plug as this one is years old, will give it a test tonight.

Tacho still not working will test more wiring configs soon....not too worried.

Will put the little rubber grommets back in fins to reduce noise and vibration tonight.

Only thing im worried about is whether it is running correct re not too hot in temp / too lean.  Will check the plug straight away after a 10-15 rap around block tonight and inspect, really want to ride it to and from work thursday so can go past uncles and show dad (65km round trip).  But dont want to harm anything.

Could the stammering bit at 3/4 throttle be from the fouled plug....from when bleeding oil pump i guess.
i would not have assumed it was hot if i didnt have a temp guage, just seeing 139 degrees C startled me a little but im guessing normal.
Bike idled perfect after the 15 min ride etc so im guessing not lean etc.

any advice welcome, mainly around whether i should do the longer ride on thursday, below is pic of current plug...stupid i phone wouldnt focus, i will post up pic tonight of the new plug after 15 mins and report etc.

Cheers

Offline JADERD

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 11, 2011, 01:46:06 pm »
Got some feedback which made me feel a little better from another Forum

"139 deg is not overheating.

If the stutter still persists after a new plug you might want to raise the carb slide needle a notch. You should be able to do this fairly easily by unscrewing the cap at the top of the carb - the slide and spring should come straight out (just be carfeul putting the slide back in the carb as it has a slot that can only go in one way).
If that makes it better, good. If it's worse, try moving the needle in the other direction. Trial and error really."

not sure if he means to raise the clip a notch or needle, if raising needle would be going from spot 3 to spot 4 which would make it "richer", sound like a noob but if new plug and bike still stammers /stutters at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle would it generally be from not enough fuel or too much fuel ? which would then mean lower or raise needle as he mentioned.

Cheers

http://www.250ninja.net/articles/ninja_250_jetting.html
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 01:47:48 pm by JADERD »