Author Topic: xt550project  (Read 7298 times)

Offline crossedup2

• B-Grade
  • Never enough shed time.....
    • View Profile
Re: xt550project
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2011, 10:08:45 am »
Noisy

There were a number of aftermarket shocks built for these YZ models. There were gas springs and all sorts of great options however, if you can find one you will pay. I've seen these unique shocks needing rebuilding for $400+ US and I cant say they would work much better, especially touring and trail riding.

There are also shock guys who can rebuild the shock with modern seal kits requiring machining and adding a remote reservoir etc. I was quoted $600 for this type of rebuild and I still may do this but without a stiffer spring (quoted $350+) I just couldn't justify it. Now I have a possible spring option I may think a bit harder over it.

Anyway, I'd first just try a service with a new bump rubber. Last one cost me about $100 in Sydney.

regards

Peter B
Anything Yamaha. AT1, CT1 (X3), RT1, DT3 (x3), YZ125X,  YZ250E, YZ400D, IT175E, IT250H, XR500RC . Always looking for Pre 78 Yamaha stuff....

Burgo68

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2011, 07:21:31 pm »
Corbo's 550 in action

Offline noisy toy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2011, 10:54:34 pm »
I like Corbos 550! Looks nice. I thought about repainting mine to the original "chappy red" but .... :-\
I had a play around with the rear suspension again. I tried a 7" afco type shock and a 9" with heim joint ends, but 7 is too short and 9 is too long....bugger. I made a short extension, about 1.5 inch long which i will weld onto the end of the original 550 shaft then weld the bush eye back on to that. This will give me the extra length and it will then be the same as the yz250 shock i tried. The 550 shock was a bit stiffer and seems to be in ok condition so i will run with that for now. The 465 swingarm is about 2 inches longer than the 550, so the extra leverage will probably make it softer than it was, not a good thing. But the extra travel may make it work ok, so i will try it first.Still trying to source some rings.
Does anyone know if the 550 gasket set is same as 600? I think the headgasket was the only difference....