Author Topic: The True OZVMX highlights  (Read 6405 times)

suzuki43

The True OZVMX highlights
« on: December 13, 2010, 04:54:19 pm »
Given the lowlights have been covered elsewhere,I reckon we should post our personal positive Ozvmx Forum highlights:
For me (not in order) they are:
Marios Project PE175 resto
Holeshot,Johnny O and Brads Farleigh Castle Reports
CD7 report
DJ's Yamaha shrine- shed rebuild
Johnny Old Race Report (Family Road trip/bonding)
Whats your guys highlights?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:59:25 pm by suzuki43 »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: The True OZVMX highlights
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 05:08:07 pm »
Hey mate theres been so  many ummmm

1. I guess the forum response after Magoo passed
2. The thread on Harley ownership
3. Yep Marios RM175, bush craftmanship top stuff
4. Ola's HL500 replica, not so bush craftmanship
5. Pauls various FrankenMaic
formerly Marc.com

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 05:25:34 pm »
All the way back to the PETSHOP, the Yahoo group and several incarnations of this site, my highlight is the fact that this site is still going and growing, thanks to Graeme.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 05:40:58 pm by brent j »
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 05:26:36 pm »
for once Mr Craig I shall answer without "tongue in cheek" as is our norm.  I would have to summarise and say the true highlight for me of OZVMX is the people - any number of examples such as the reaction to Magoo's passing, meeting new people, catching up at Nats events and the new friends made - haven't seen anything like it previously - and that does include you buddy  :D

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

suzuki43

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 05:38:06 pm »
Ditto Rosco  ;)
You guys arent wrong the response to a true Aussie character Bruces passing, was heart warming and a credit to all involved.I wont name  the main guys involved but you know who you are, and you should be proud of yourselves.
Nearly forgot to mention another highlight:
Sugar and mates taking up the Pre 90 challenge in NSW-truly a great effort, which I am sure will suceed, and hopefully help the sport grow.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 06:20:56 pm by suzuki43 »

TM BILL

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 06:18:41 pm »
Good onyer Craig  :)For me it is definetly the camaraderie you find on here  :) and the wealth of knowledge that the members are happy to share  :)
Many of us (due to Graemes generosity ) have been members of this forum (and the previous forum) for a number of years , i think of the forum as an extended family and like a real family it has its ups and downs  ;D
The Members on here really pull together in times of tragedy such as Magoos passing  and rejoice in happier times such as Nathan and Annas new edition :D

We can be quick to hang shit on one and other and as with any family the occasional Blue breaks out  ::) However we all share a common bond , a love of old noisy things with Knoblies ( not mother in laws )

Its the time of year to reflect on how privillaged we are to live in the free world and be able to express our diverse opinions on this great media .

Wishing all of you and your famiiles a very happy Xmas and a healthy ,safe and sucsessfull new year .Please take a moment over the festive season to think of those who wont see this Xmas or whos lives have been changed by accidents this past year and their familes .

firko

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 07:07:53 pm »
My highlights are......
*The amazing response to Magoos illness and eventual passing. The number of people at his funeral was a great reflection of what a neat fella he was.
*It might have been outside of the year cutoff but the response to the fundraiser for Noel Clarke was amazing. Although most of us had never met him, the support in helping a fallen comrade was inspiring.
*The Sprite/American Eagle thread. The fact that most Aussies have never heard of any of the three featured marques didn't stop this harmless thread from growing to an unprecedented 43 pages and it's still growing. The thread has uncovered some never before known facts, corrected historical factual mistakes and inspired at least four bikes to be built. It also inspired Sprite founder Frank Hipkin to become a keen forum lurker and prompt him to join me in documenting the history of the marque. From little things big things grow.
*The cameraderie. Sure there's the occasional outburst of angst but in general the vibe of this forum has few equals. The help that comes through these friendships is great, for example the way two well known Kiwi forum members have acted above all expectations in picking up and shipping an engine I bought off Trade-Me. The forum bush telegraph has done a lot of behind the scenes good ranging from comforting the odd member with a problem to picking up or storing bikes for long distant members.
*Education. I've learned so much from the forum brains trust. All of the little tips and knowledgable how-tos have helped to me and many others become smarter and wiser VMXers.
*Yamaicos step by step YZ465 flat tracker build. It showed what anyone can do to build a quality racer on a low budget. There's a chance there may be a couple more step by step builds documented on the forum in the new year.
*The boys trip to Farleigh Castle. It was great to see our lads go over to old Blighty on an all boys adventure to race on the hallowed turf of Farleigh Castle.

There have been too many other great thing to list them all. Sure there have been some glitches in the harmony but overall it's been a lot of fun.
I hope we can all add to the mix by contributing more and more in 2011. I wish everyone on the forum a great Christmas and a brilliant 2011.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 07:12:14 pm by firko »

Captain Bilko

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 07:15:40 pm »
Watching Ji going around that track was my highlight.....

TM BILL

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 07:21:42 pm »
Watching Ji going around that track was my highlight.....

Did you pick up a few tips Ross  ;)

Captain Bilko

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 07:47:46 pm »
Shit yeah. Ride like a girl and there's less chance of
a. head-buttin' a tree, b. gettin' hit by a boulder coming off a 550X18 Mettzeler or c. you'll never have the embarresment of running out of things to say when get to the podium....

TM BILL

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 07:52:41 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Scunge

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 08:06:13 pm »
 - Johny Old VMX Race in NZ (including epic road trip with Suzuki43)
 - RM175 Project
 - Firko putting people in their place
 - Aus / US Dollar exchange rate!

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 08:40:04 pm »
There's been lots of highlights for me in my first year involved in the forum but would like to share this one which is pretty special to me.  I had been trying to convice an ebay seller in Canada that had a 74 KX250 frame on ebay to sell it to me but they wouldn't unless I had someone actually visit there shop, pay for it and privately ship it to me. I found this very difficult to organise as I didn't know anyone that could help in Canada, so some time ago I asked the forum did anyone have a spare 74 KX250 frame that they would sell. JC kindly helped me with a later 75 frame to try and modify but still wasn't what I really wanted. I must add JC went out of his way to convince Aust. Post in QLD to post it to me which they did for about $50. Thanks JC. Anyway some time went by and I got a message from vmxken who remembered that I was chasing one and said he had spotted this one in Canada. I explained I had no way of organising it from Canada. He got back to me and said he had a mate in Canada and maybe he could help if I was able to get the frame to him. Ken checked with his mate only to be told he lived 5 minutes from the shop the frame was at and also knows the seller and he was prepared to go and see about it for me. When he went to the shop he bought the frame (cheaper than had been advertised) and let Ken know that he was coming to Sydney in a months time and was prepared to try and get it on as luggage or at least excess luggage. This he did and the frame is now with Ken in Sydney with no freifgt charges at all.

I can't beleive the help that Ken and his Canadian freind have been to someone they don't really know but with the same passions as them. When I started racing I didn't think I would be still messing around with the same old bikes 38 years later but I don't know of any other hobby/sport that I would rather be involved because of good people like these.

Stan.

firko

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 10:46:08 pm »
- Firko putting people in their place
That's funny...I tend to think it was the other way around in 2010 ???. This was the year of the kind, compassionate, feel good Firko, no more hellfire and nastiness. I love everyone these days. ;D

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 10:48:32 pm »
I agree with you brother....lifes too short....Merry Xmas everyone....even the Mexicans....
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.