Author Topic: What motor would you stick in here?  (Read 5339 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What motor would you stick in here?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 10:12:28 am »

Yes, I can imagine a whole new breed of penniless rider with dreams of building the "ultimate" bike but not wanting to spend any money.
[/quote]

I must admit I saw a complete 2005 RMZ for sale the other day with its motor in a box for $600 and a thought flashed through my mind. But given the current economy and you can buy complete bikes for not much it flashed out again.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 10:27:13 am »
"Ideal for that donor for the ultimate VINDURO Weapon"
Errr no,
It's not quite eligible for a Vinduro

Been seeing that a lot lately: "Vinduro" and "VMX" used for 1990s and newer stuff - often even late 90s and early 00s...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 11:09:05 am »

Been seeing that a lot lately: "Vinduro" and "VMX" used for 1990s and newer stuff - often even late 90s and early 00s...
[/quote]

Well it will be VMX eventually, guess the owners do not know what to call it.

Anyway back to the story, the amount of dead 4 strokes is going to keep on increasing and even Service Honda bikes have been known fall apart. There was a reason the Japanese put 500 2 strokes in pretty solid steel frames.

I notice Service Honda are pushing 250 2 stroke conversions into late model chassis but this really only makes sense if you can detect the difference between last of the 2 stroke chassis and current 4 stroke ones. I think finally in the end the 4 stroke thing will generate just a bunch of dead rollers which you can't do much with that is really worthwhile.

formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 11:15:56 am »
Over the weekend I was offered a complete 2002(?) YZ426 for $400. The engine features some unknown damage but there's a spare engine in unknown condition (probably just as rooted) in a box. The bike's got a lot of expensive trick parts including lots of aftermarket titanium which indicates that it was once loved but it now looks like shit due to the next few owners using it as a freestyle practice bike/paddock basher. The wheels have too many flat spots and the forks are leaking all over the garage floor but the plastic and bolt ons are all good, including a Ti pipe and Barrett carbon fibre muffler. Even though it's rooted, it's all there so I think I'll take the plunge, buy it and stick it in the shipping container down on the farm with my old TL250, XL500 and KX125 basket cases, to wait for its restoration moment .

When the pre 2005 class is introduced the year after next I might just be front row central to make a killing. ;)

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 11:28:03 am »
Over the weekend I was offered a complete 2002(?) YZ426 for $400. The engine features some unknown damage but there's a spare engine in unknown condition (probably just as rooted) in a box. The bike's got a lot of expensive trick parts including lots of aftermarket titanium which indicates that it was once loved but it now looks like shit due to the next few owners using it as a freestyle practice bike/paddock basher. The wheels have too many flat spots and the forks are leaking all over the garage floor but the plastic and bolt ons are all good, including a Ti pipe and Barrett carbon fibre muffler. Even though it's rooted, it's all there so I think I'll take the plunge, buy it and stick it in the shipping container down on the farm with my old TL250, XL500 and KX125 basket cases, to wait for its restoration moment .

When the pre 2005 class is introduced the year after next I might just be front row central to make a killing. ;)

Go on, you know a Maico engine could be made to fit. Go on, you know you want too…
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 12:32:51 pm »
Are there really that many people f$%king the wheels on their moderns?!

The main issue we see on rear wheels is the sprocket bolts coming loose (or) the wheel bearings failing which in turn destroys the hub. For the front it is usually the wheel bearing that fails and flogs out the hub. At the end of the day some very simple maintenance being done on the bike and there would be no issue. But don’t tell Joe Average that they should inspect & maintain their bike or we will be out of business.  ;)
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 12:33:09 pm »
and stick it in the shipping container down on the farm with my old TL250, XL500 and KX125 basket cases, to wait for its restoration moment .
Was just discussing with some workmates the idea of buying a small bit of land in the bush just to store those projects which may or may not happen. Would declutter the garage and my head and would please the misses immensely. ;) Better than selling the stuff off and cheaper (i think) than paying for storage units etc. Just be worried about theft.  :'(  

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 02:48:08 pm »
I notice Service Honda are pushing 250 2 stroke conversions into late model chassis but this really only makes sense if you can detect the difference between last of the 2 stroke chassis and current 4 stroke ones. I think finally in the end the 4 stroke thing will generate just a bunch of dead rollers which you can't do much with that is really worthwhile.

Interesting. I can see there being a point in a few years time, but they way a 2006/2010 YZ250 handles compared to a 2010 YZF250 is far more about the differences in the engine than the frame.
Maybe if you're a dedicated Suzuki or Kawi nut, it might already be worthwhile?
I still suspect that swapping forks, brakes and rear shocks will get you 99% of the improvement of the later rolling chassis.

Funny how the car guys take old cars and jam newer motors into them, while the (dirt) bike guys pretty much do the opposite when we build era-irrelevant specials - we typically take the newest rolling chassis we can get our hands on, and jam an older (usually air cooled) motor in there.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.