Author Topic: How's the best way to deal with a scammer?  (Read 1678 times)

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
How's the best way to deal with a scammer?
« on: November 29, 2010, 05:08:54 pm »
Silly me included my email address on a want ad on the livewire site over here & it looks like I've been scammed, was contacted by a guy in the UK who said he had what I was after.
He provided a phone number & address etc which seemed legit so I paid up, he rang saturday night saying that customs wanted 120GBP to release the piece to the couriers, that set off the alarm bells
His email has been disabled & the phone number won't work but he still manages to call me saying you need to send more money

How do I get this lowlife off my case?

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: How's the best way to deal with a scammer?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 05:27:18 pm »
change your email address or not reply I have had similar if it sounds to good to be true it is I have had the UK skammers too but the items I were interested in I asked for pictures and sometimes they had watermarks on photos like ebay watermark.

Alot of times if you don't put @ and write at that stops them I have been told best way to tell is get multiple pictures and the name sometimes.

I had one scammer through the old ozvmx classifieds named Zamora Allen and was definetly a scammer I didn't think many people would fall for the scams but listening to the radio the other day apparently quite a few do and they only have to get one or two people here and there to justify them doing it they are just lowlifes.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 05:37:18 pm »
Did you pay with PayPal? If not just say you can Western Union him the money, as at this point you best appealing to his greed and make him run round like a blue arse fly(thinking he will land a big prize), consuming his time and resources. If you could pin him down to a time and a place to collect the money, you could have some one waiting for him.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 05:44:39 pm »

How do I get this lowlife off my case?

You can put a block messager on emails via your tool page or some Internet Service Provider just have an in built spam sorter/detector (like ours).
and what Lozza wrote.
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 05:07:45 am »
Switched my phone off last night & when I turned it on today there was a whocalled alert from vodafone, his private number was +2348135746120 which a quick look at country codes shows up as being nigeria
Lesson learned

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 09:15:14 am »
There are some great laughs to be had from stuffing these guys around (obviously using your own clever alias):

http://www.419eater.com/index.php

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 05:19:35 pm »
They aren't very smart, wife answered phone & got told they were calling from the UK, caller ID confirmed it was the nigerian number
She reckons it could be fun to run up their phonebill

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 07:59:15 pm »
Tell him that the money has been sent from NAB that should do it. :)
I had one once , told the guy that he would make more money writing fiction.
Never heard from him again.
Pity because he had a brilliant sob story.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.