Author Topic: Cheney or Rickman metisse Triumph 650 pre-65 MX  (Read 23163 times)

livi.05

Cheney or Rickman metisse Triumph 650 pre-65 MX
« on: November 12, 2010, 04:43:21 pm »
Hello all ,
Just wondering if anyone can enlighten me as to which frame kit is the best, Rickman Metisse or Cheney MX( quality of build and how the end result , handling and robustness ) . I am looking to build a Triumph 650 MX Pre-65 version of either of these 2 kits , and like the look of both equally . So it comes down to the info i can gather from people who have had experience with either or both of these chassis. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated ,i may also be interested if someone has one available.
Thanks Jason

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Cheney or Rickman metisse Triumph 650 pre-65 MX
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 05:28:59 pm »
Sure Firko will have a lot to say on this one.

Both bikes will build into something really good looking with some care. I think the Cheney looks awesome and there is not one on every street corner.

BUT.... I think you will have an easier more professional time dealing with Rickman, they have a local agent in OZ and will send all the million and one small bits you need without any drama.

Plus the Ricky has everything you need basically in stock so fabrication is reduced to the wheels spacers and not much else. Unless like me you are fitting pre unit....  ::)
formerly Marc.com

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 05:20:17 am »
if you want to build it your self start with a duplex bsa frame.b33 b31 a10

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 08:03:04 am »
if you want to build it your self start with a duplex bsa frame.b33 b31 a10

Yeah I have Rickman kit that lets you fit Rickman bodywork to BSA frame. so possible. But hell of a lot heavier

formerly Marc.com

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 08:06:22 am »
yes it would be heavy but fun to build unit or pre unit.
i have a duplex ariel frame 1 day the bike will be finished just needs to move along in the que
jim

firko

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 12:08:02 pm »
Metisse or Cheney....Blonde or Brunette............they're all beautiful but it all comes down to which one grabs you by the short and curlies. As Marc said, the Rickman has an advantage of having a local distributor in Don Newell and in there being two different manufacturers to pick from that are making replicas. http://www.rickman-motorcycles.com/index.php and http://www.metisse-motorcycles.com/ which is both weird and confusing.

I've had a passion for Metisse ever since I saw my first one in the late sixties. They were already old fashioned by the time I came along but the beauty of the fibreglass bodywork and the quality of the workmanship blew me away. As an apprentice boilermaker I was really impressed by the quality of the brazing and even today I still oggle at the quality whenever I see one. I didn't have much knowledge of Cheney's as there weren't anywhere the number of them on the Aussie scene back in their hey day. That changed when I saw and rode my friend Vern Grayson's beautiful Cheney Triumph back in the mid 90's. I was really impressed by the simple yet strong frame and once again by the quality of the welding and fabrication. Today I'm drawn between both and while I don't own a Triumph Metisse these days I would again at the drop of a hat.
The problem with Cheney from my perspective is having to deal with Simon Cheney who's turned out to be just as difficult as his dad Eric was. Others may have had good luck in dealing with him but I have nothing but problems when building my Cheney.http://www.cheneyracing.co.uk/

In the end it's impossible to answer your question properly Jason as both Metisse kits and Cheney's frames are all quality. In the end it'll come down to what fits into your price range and what excites the passion within. How do you pick from these below?

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 12:42:35 pm »
Both very very nice Firko.
Though do you have a nice pic of a Rhind Tutt Wasp solo ?, for another possible choice for jason !!  8)
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 01:31:58 pm »
Love Metisse but Cheney gets the rogering for me,just need to get Simon Cheney to perform
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 08:23:03 am »
Yeah the Cheney in the photo sold for very reasonable price on ebay last year..... :-\

I think the Cheney wins on looks, has collectability.... I have fresh Cheney project on the boat at the moment  ;D
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 10:21:29 am »
Though do you have a nice pic of a Rhind Tutt Wasp solo ?, for another possible choice for jason !!

Yeah I forgot about Wasp Alison. They're another 'near as buggery' copy of a Metisse. Don Newell was handling them but I'm not sure if he still deals in them. Paul Neilson here in Sydney was building one using my ex basket case MK4 Metisse and my Frank Stanborough built 500 Triumph engine but it was sold as a project to a member of the forum.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1062154/wasp.jpg
http://wasp-motorcycles.tripod.com/id2.html
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 10:27:20 am by firko »

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 10:30:21 am »
I like the red Cheney Firko....I want to know who lifted that red sucker a couple of posts earlier up on the stand!!!
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 10:33:48 am »
another Cheney, probably my pick of best looking pre65 British MXer

formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 10:38:39 am »
Has anyone got a photo of Verns Cheney?  I wish I had one to post.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 10:43:18 am »
Of course a lot depends on how handy you are with the spanners, I have seen a couple of build articles where the builder thought his throat was cut having to make the odd spacer .... both bikes will need some skills.

I decided to complicate my life by going pre unit, but possible, you just need to know what you are doing, making a few brackets and modifying plates etc, basic fit up took me 4 hours.

formerly Marc.com

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 10:45:11 am »
Jesus, you want to start WW3 do ya Mark?...I wonder how him and Averill are going, I'll try and find out.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.