Author Topic: Doherty levers.  (Read 6444 times)

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
Re: Doherty levers.
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 10:39:16 am »
Jikov where are you -it was he who informed me

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 04:35:53 pm »
Hi Robin,
I can't find a GCR that bans the Doherty "knuckle cutters" , but I couldn't find a GCR that bans Acetylene headlights , Coal fired Boilers , or Hydrogen powered airships, or operating  a chainsaw while racing , its just common sense.
 I was exercising a general duty of care to a friend, I,m sure Brett welcomed my sugestion to replace the "Knuckle cutters" with period alloy levers to remove the possibility of having his fingers guillotined as the sharp inner edges slide past the handle bars if  he crashed .
cheers

firko

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 04:37:52 pm »
So....that makes them legal I guess. ;D
I fully understand the reasons for you doing it Michael but I'm surprised you took the rulebook that you find so precious into your own hands. You can't make it up as you go, they're either legal or illegal by the book.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 04:42:28 pm by firko »

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 04:59:28 pm »
Hi ,
Mark Mark Mark Mark Mark,
A wise man once told me :
There is none so deaf as those who have ears but won't listen, and none so blind as those who have eyes but can't see,
Cheers

firko

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 05:20:05 pm »
As another Queenslander once said...."Please Explain"?
 I have no problems with the deep and terrible danger to my fingers that Doherty levers MAY possibly offer up. Yep, they're probably dangerous in a fluke situation. What I do find amusing though is your taking the law into your own hands. Until something is written in the rulebook I'd say that Doherty levers are legal so I think you've made an error in knocking young Bretts bike back. You can't rewrite the rulebook to suit your own views on the sport Michael.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 05:20:25 pm »
I was looking at a set of these levers in the flesh before and they are not that sharp at all. The edges are square. If you had bare hands then yeah maybe there is a SLIGHT chance you could 'hurt yourself' but lets be realistic here,  if you have got proper MX gloves on i think its pretty unlikely they could do any serious damage. So its good to hear that they are infact legal because a lot of bikes use them and they are a period lever. It should be up to the owner to decide if he wants to take the 'risk' with these sort of levers.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 05:25:15 pm »
well as i often do scrutineering i will pass them if they are not illegal .have same looking things 50.00 a pr

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 05:52:22 pm »
Hi ,

Speaking of unsafe equipment on Motorcycles , I can't find  any mention  in the rule book about leaking petrol tanks, loose, broken and missing spokes, cracked frames, loose and missing engine bolts, loose carburettor tops, missing axle nut split pins, loose handle bar mounts,loose lever mounts, but every race meeting you can bet some clown will present their race bike with these faults
Can someone tell  me which page these are mentioned as not allowed.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 07:16:48 pm »
As a level 2 C of C and steward,I have some issue with scruteneers making it up as they go along.
If you deem a bike unsafe for reasons other than what's stipulated in the gcr's and the rider protested I would side with the rider on this one.
You are by default deeming all other bikes that pass "safe" and that opens up a can of worms.
Stick to the rule books and the rest of those things you mention are taken care of when some clown at riders breifing says "Motorcycle racing is dangerous..........."

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 07:25:04 pm »
As a level 2 C of C and steward,
 when some clown at riders breifing says "Motorcycle racing is dangerous..........."

who's a clown ??   ;)  ;D
Best is in the West !!

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 07:57:49 pm »
 when some clown at riders breifing says "Motorcycle racing is dangerous..........."

who's a clown ??   ;)  ;D

Yeah, I'm thinkin of getting a red nose and a flower that spirts water, maybe even a bicycle horn. ;D.....and get around on a uni cycle juggling.

Curly3

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 08:12:24 pm »
If it was used in the era of the bike being raced then it should be kosher.
I'm into dirt track & speedway and every slider from the late 60's to late 70's had a Doherty lever, or 2, as original issue, infact if they don't have them they don't look complete to me.
All the project bikes that I have plans for have original examples and I'd like to keep them.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 08:20:39 pm »
who's a clown ??   ;)  ;D
Yeah, I'm thinkin of getting a red nose and a flower that spirts water, maybe even a bicycle horn. ;D.....and get around on a uni cycle juggling.

some days I dont believe we discuss such things as bent bits on Doherty levers..cause the interpretations can be two clowns short of a circus   ;D
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 08:21:17 pm »
Unfortunately I've seen a lot of this rewriting of the rulebook to suit the scrutineers personal philosophy before. Most of the time the point of the "protest" or scrutineering decision has no grounding in common sense or more importantly, legality and is purely a decision based on the scrutineers bias or personal belief. I'd have loved to have had that little caper pulled on my bike. ;D
A well known pre 65 Metisse has had Doherty levers fitted since the bike was built in 1992 and in that time it's raced in countless title events and won three Australian Championships and not one word has ever been said about the bikes levers. ::)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 08:24:16 pm by firko »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 08:23:47 pm »
Unfortunately I've seen a lot of this rewriting of the rulebook to suit the scrutineers personal philosophy before. Most of the time the point of the "protest" or scrutineering decision has no grounding in common sense or more importantly, legality and is purely a decision based on the scrutineers bias or personal belief. I'd have loved to have had that little caper pulled on my bike. ;D

thats it !! Thats what i was trying to write  ;D 
cheers
Best is in the West !!