Author Topic: Whats wrong with me  (Read 24491 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Whats wrong with me
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2010, 09:27:07 pm »
I recall a silver turbo Volvo back in the 80's making a lot of V8 hoons look pretty lame. A sleeper, yet VERY quick car.

Yes I got watch it win the down town street race in Wellington.... best use they ever found for that city./

If I wanted a powerful road machine [i don't] i'd go for the Harley I cant remember what its called that one pictured that has the Porsche heads cheers pancho.

You mean the metric cruiser that Harley owners don't acknowledge.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2010, 09:27:50 pm »
Marc ,  but by all means if you are comfortable with an Intruder between your legs  ;D ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsSTwuOKRKI&p=36FA0B2E7AD3D8F4&playnext=1&index=27

that clip cracks me up  :D
formerly Marc.com

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2010, 09:44:01 pm »
Marc ,  but by all means if you are comfortable with an Intruder between your legs  ;D ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsSTwuOKRKI&p=36FA0B2E7AD3D8F4&playnext=1&index=27
that clip cracks me up  :D

:D  :D what a turtle head  :D
Best is in the West !!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2010, 09:46:16 pm »
Used to ride with Taiwanese Harley club when I was in Taiwan, introduced them to the Mikuni HSR, the also were the most real and didn't take themselves too seriously....oh and they had VERY good strippers at their BBQs
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2010, 11:01:51 pm »
Either you shouldn't have had auto ones, or you were driving them wrong. Maybe the 122's were destroyed by the US emissions laws?
The old PV Volvo was as slow as buggery but I must reluctantly admit I had more fun with that old car than many before or since just because of the funky factor. It had a permanently open sun roof..rain hail or shine and had copped a rear end shunt at some time in its life that caused it to crab down the road. The 122 didn't have much pollution gear, just the 70's era carbon canister type stuff. It was a 4 speed manual and still as slow as a snail. The 245 was an auto and a positive drudge to drive. The redeeming thing being that once you managed to wind it up to cruise speed it handled pretty well. I also fondly remembered Robbie Francevichs Volvo turbo and it was certainly a fun beast to watch but wondered at the time just how much turbo boost they were running on the poor old thing. It did have an inappropriate number of DNFs.

Now.........I took the piss at Nathans beloved Volvo mainly as a tongue in cheek example of showing that all of us have our automotive and motorcycling fancies that others find hard to understand. I agree that Harleys are agricultural, Volvos are 'ordinary', Jags are fragile but we all choose to overlook those perceived faults because there's something about that particular vehicle that ticks our boxes. All of Marcs praising of Harleys hasn't convinced me that I should have one but I have to admire his love of the marque and can't help but like his project hogs. It's the same with Nathans Volvos, having once been a part of Team Volvo I really don't want to go there again but I admire Nathan ability to see something in them that I don't. It's the same with my Jags and oddball dirt bikes. I couldn't give a rats arse what people think of Jags....trust me I've heard all of those "I know a bloke" horror stories and they have no impact whatsoever on my love of them. It's the same with my bikes, I do what makes me feel good, I couldn't care one iota if it doesn't fit into anyone elses idea of what a vintage bike should be.

That's why I truly hate those threads that go along the lines of "Billy Bobs Honda's a shitbox, he needs to get decent Suzuki" or the theme that Harleys are crap that's evolving in this thread.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:06:49 pm by firko »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2010, 11:41:54 pm »
The old Volvo owner was as slow as buggery and had copped a rear end shunt at some time
[/quote]

yep nothing slower than good Volvo buggery ;D

Yeah my view of Harleys is something to wrestle round corners like a bucking bull at a Tex Mex restaurant and generally shag about on. I have had some great rides in Japan, Taiwan, Swiss the States, NZ, Aussie, yeah you could have done it on an R1,  but you probably wouldn't remember the drama of it all as much/

One Classic bike Magazine summed my experience up the best.... think of the best most powerful Norton you have ever ridden and double it.

formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2010, 11:50:43 pm »
still if you can bring Harley and Norton together, any bike put together with love shows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlxIVtph1sY
formerly Marc.com

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2010, 04:54:26 am »
I also fondly remembered Robbie Francevichs Volvo turbo and it was certainly a fun beast to watch but wondered at the time just how much turbo boost they were running on the poor old thing. It did have an inappropriate number of DNFs.
I was referring to a street 240T - but as Group A they ran circa 23PSI and 345HP @ 6500.
The '86 240RXT was pushing 375HP I believe.

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2010, 10:27:47 am »
Arguing Volvo Vs Harley?  this thread is hilairious ;D

Anyway, the story goes that when Francevics Volvo kept blowing up, Volvo finally sent out a Factory tech to sort it out. When they lifted the bonnett the techs first question was "where have you mounted the intercooler".........the answer "the intercooler??" ;D (remembering it was early days for turbo tourers in OZ) it went a lot better and was more reliable from then on....
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2010, 11:04:29 am »
Having road tested a lot of cars for 'pink slip' inspections I soon realised that a lot of local rev-heads and other non experts had decided that Volvos, Audies, Mercs etc were gutless was based on the fact that when you first plant the foot on the  pedal on the right there is no sledge hammer in the back like you get from a good old VN. On a commodore at the lights if you hit it hard instant smokie is the result,where as the cars from civilised countries have designed things so you don't get loss of traction but still can get quite impressive acceleration. A fine example of this is the older model turbo Volvo, where if you plant the foot it seems not a lot happens, then after a few seconds if you haven't backed off a bit you suddenly notice your eyes bulge as the first cross street comes up! 
Of course my feeling is if you want to by a car that doesn't cost $1000's for each service and doesn't cost another$1000 first rego check out of warranty 'cause the  brake warning light doesn't work, or your Volvo wiring system[possibly the worst ever] has developed problems that one should only find in a Range rover, BUY A COMMODORE. NO not one of those continental sh#t boxes with Holden badges. For some of the above reasons I can see why Harley owners are happy is because if one wants to keep riding a 20 year old road bike one can get parts and fix it.Try doing that with a honda. cheers pancho
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 11:06:42 am by pancho »
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2010, 11:21:35 am »

Pure magic. Logic has no place in this discussion…
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2010, 11:33:40 am »
Dave theres nothing rong with you, Nice RN couple suspect green bikes but you did discover Vodka makes best magarootas!!!
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

mx250

« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2010, 12:50:42 pm »

Pure magic. Logic has no place in this discussion…
"Pure magic. Logic has no place in this discussion…" ;D +1

Mmmmmm, yummy  8).

(What's the motor - the 'new' Bonny with alterations to the left hand side?

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2010, 12:58:07 pm »
Yep new Bonnie motor, its not a Harley but very tasty and wouldn't break the bank to build.

See thats the beauty of a Harley, road racing, dirt riding, touring, you can virtually do it all on one bike.
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2010, 01:08:22 pm »
Marc beat me to it....that's indeed a new Bonnie engine in a 70's period Trackmaster frame. I'm using the same frame, tank and a similar tail section in my current Benelli project so this is a good indication of how it should look....barring a diferent colour scheme and my using mag wheels, ironically the very same magnesium Morris items shown on the accompanying XR1000 .

As far as Turbo Volvos go, ask Billy Forsyth what he thinks of them. Until he blew his up for the second time and was presented with a National Debt style bill, he thought they were the best thing on the road. Now he drives a Suzuki Swift and reckons it runs rings around the old Swedish barge. He ended up giving the Volvo away.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 01:10:58 pm by firko »