Author Topic: Whats wrong with me  (Read 24488 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Whats wrong with me
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2010, 08:39:52 am »
My my wife is 55kgs and scares me much more than any man ..... so no I am happy with the snow ho  ;)
formerly Marc.com

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2010, 10:00:33 am »
Skull masks,same hair cuts,same,"outfits"We used [and still do] call these people.'faggots'.A.p.r
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2010, 10:33:36 am »
Skull masks,same hair cuts,same,"outfits"We used [and still do] call these people.'faggots'.A.p.r

ha ha dare you to call this guy a homo and you would be doing pretty well to out ride him, he definitely was running mid pack

formerly Marc.com

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2010, 10:44:46 am »
Anyone seen "Wild Hogs"?

Mid life crisis shit with anything sure is a funny thing but there is a serious side to it all with a shitload of new arrivals to riding bikes getting creamed apparently as they think that all they are doing is 'leaning' their SS Bombadore into a reducing radius corner on the Putty Rd only to find road-bikes, especially cruisers with shit ground clearance are a different ball game and end up meeting the Armco.

A mate of mine who I've ridden with for ages in the bush has just bought a big Jap cruiser and I'm really worried about him too - he's in his fifties now and has NEVER ridden tar so we're just hoping his dirt skills keep him out of trouble. Only thing is now he's on the tarmac he's got all the deadshits in cars and the diesel spills etc that we don't get in the bush trying to take him out!

As for Harleys? Not my cup of tea and reckon they are an anachronism but who am I to talk with a bunch of old Ducati bevel heads, lol!

So long as we're all enjoying life above the ground rather than rotting six foot under it !!!

Dave Mac  ;)
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2010, 10:48:52 am »
I have a Suzuki M109R 1800cc cruiser with a 260 tyre on the back.  Nothing better than cruising the beaches of Perth except the feral photographer made me buy blue tooth intercom for the helmets, she used to just head butt me when i was looking the wrong way, but now she talks to me.  Some times I'm so happy working shiftwork and can ride by myself!!aaahhh!!

I am sick or what, When I get out enjoying a good ride (on the bike) i start singing to myself as the road rolls by
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2010, 11:48:30 am »

As for Harleys? Not my cup of tea and reckon they are an anachronism but who am I to talk with a bunch of old Ducati bevel heads, lol!
Dave Mac  ;)

Yep the Taglioni time bombs, your a sucker for punishment Dave. But in saying that Hailwood winning at the IOM still moves me to tears.... the bevel bikes finest moment
formerly Marc.com

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2010, 11:54:00 am »

Dave Mac  ;)

Yep the Taglioni time bombs, your a sucker for punishment Dave. But in saying that Hailwood winning at the IOM still moves me to tears.... the bevel bikes finest moment

Bevel = great idea poorly executed.
Harley = bad idea poorly executed.

Like I said before, if you want to talk about the 'soul' or 'vibe' of a Harley, then go right ahead - but please don't confuse them with good engineering or even better than the bare minimum of workmanship.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:55:40 am by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2010, 12:04:24 pm »
 I've got to admit that every now and again a Harley comes along that I'd have in my shed in a nanosecond. Marcs street tracker does it for me as does my old mate Vegas Bobs Trackmaster street tracker.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2010, 12:29:23 pm »

but please don't confuse them with good engineering or even better than the bare minimum of workmanship.
[/quote]

Hmmm rode my last Harley 7 years with the only maintenence being oil and fluid changes, it was looked after and still looked like new the day I sold it, no chrome lifted, no paint bubbled, no oil burn't.

I find most of the knockers have never been near one.
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2010, 12:46:47 pm »
Like I said before, if you want to talk about the 'soul' or 'vibe' of a Harley, then go right ahead - but please don't confuse them with good engineering or even better than the bare minimum of workmanship.
With respect, I find that a bit funny, coming from a bloke who's into Volvos ;D.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2010, 12:51:13 pm »
I love the Volvos for exactly the same reason I have no love for Harleys.

I like (the idea of) Buells for exactly the same reason I think 911s are cool - the triumph of smart engineering over a fundamentally flawed concept.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2010, 12:58:20 pm »
OK..I'll bite, What's the flawed concept in a Harley? I have a passion for V12 Jaguars so I know what it's like to own something that others think is flawed so don't take the Volvo crack as a shot.
My point is that everything in life has some inherent flaw....Maico clutches,TM400 handling, Ducati over complication and even Volvo beigeness can be construed by some people as being flaws but those inherent flaws are often accompanied by many good points that we overlook because we focus on the negative.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 01:20:54 pm by firko »

TooFastTim

« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2010, 12:58:45 pm »
This does it for me:

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2010, 02:42:13 pm »
even Volvo beigeness can be construed by some people as being flaws

Hah hah now the dirty laundry comes out... a firkin Volvo, the Swedish Falcon, now lets enjoy Volvas automatic braking system as an example of functionality .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_83efj9Xdg&feature=related

Im with Tim, XR1200 is far cooler especially with the Storz kit added

formerly Marc.com

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2010, 03:05:08 pm »
OK..I'll bite, What's the flawed concept in a Harley?

A 60* V twin has crap balance (both primary and secondary), and the forked con rod is an engineering atrocity.
Both of these 'features' limit engine revs, hence why big capacity is so sought after when chasing performance from one.
The stubborn persistance in using 2 valve heads also limits power.

Now, I fully understand why HD has persisted with these - they're part of the HD trademark/history, and do I respect that.
But they're all done contary to remotely modern thinking and the relative performance is modest, so I find it very difficult to be enthused by them on a technical front - and even more difficult to ignore comments about their rich racing history.

I can't speak in detail about the recent factory offerings, but having seen inside a 90s Electraglide motor, I can honestly say that a Hyundai of the same age is far better built - even most of the nasty Chinese pit bike rubbish is better than the HD stuff.
Similarly, a mate is helping to build a chopper for a mate of his. While it is all superficially very pretty and most of it very well made, none of the motor stuff has impressed me at all - from a performance point of view its very much as a case of "If I wanted to go there, I sure wouldn't start from here". The best the aftermarket can hope for is a shiny turd.

So, from my point of view, the bikes aren't something I have any interest in riding, nor do they deserve any respect from a technical point of view.
The Buells do interest me, but everytime I look at one, I keep thinking "Imagine what he could have built if he hadn't handicapped himself by sticking with such a flawed base"... Again, its like a Porsche 911 - putting the engine in a stupid spot but still making the product work well is very impressive - but it doesn't mean that the engine isn't in a stupid spot!

I understand that other people have different priorities in what they want from a bike, and I understand that a Harley does suit a lot of people. But please don't try to list technical brilliance as one of their attributes, because it isn't.
And I also appreciate HD living outside the japanese main-stay of longitutinal, 16V I4 motors - I'm definitely not an advocate of generic bikes.

A 240 Volvo, on the other hand, is an extremely well built, durable family car, and doesn't pretend to be anything more or less. They missed most of the market by not being built cheaply enough, but that's because they're the last of the non-disposable cars for the non-mega-wealthy* and they actually work far, far better than most people give them credit for.
And when you work on one, everything makes sense - even the things that irritate are clearly done for a reason. While they might not bristle with engineering 'features' they were designed very well and built right, and that pushes my buttons. Technically and dynamically speaking, they are entirely defensible.

*Yes, a 1980 240 was more expensive and slower than a 1980 Commodore from new. But - given equal treatment from new - by 1990 there's zero doubt that the 1980 Volvo was a better car than the VC Commdore, and the gap has only widened since then. While fashion and the desire for something new means that many families would update regardless, over a 20 year life span, the Volvo would have cost the typical owner much less.