Author Topic: MX250 race bike, $1400.  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
MX250 race bike, $1400.
« on: October 16, 2010, 10:49:46 pm »
Only done a few meetings since being built from a bare-metal frame.

Motor:
Currently fitted with a DT250A bottom end and barrel (MX head, pipe and carby), but includes several MX bottom ends and one MX barrel.
Gearbox shifts nicely, and the oil comes out clean.
Has only been run on Motul 800 and Motul gearbox oil since being built.
IT250G electronic ignition.
Very clean, original MX250 pipe with aftermarket aluminium muffler on it. Recently repacked.
Starts easily and runs well, and keeps up with most of the other bikes in the class if you remember to short shift it.

Wheels/suspension:
Alloy non-mudcatcher rims fitted, black painted spokes on polished hubs.
Good tyres (front ~85%, rear about 70%).
Mullholland rear shocks.
Straight, unrusty forks.
Has longer DT1 swing arm fitted, and genuine MX250 swing arm also included.

Other stuff:
Very good frame - no crushed tubes, only one very minor repair, etc.
Pro-Taper bars (KX Hi bend), non-flogged out levers, etc.
Painted dark grey.
Tank is DT (with the reliable fuel tap) modified to have MX screw-in cap.
Seat cover has begun to split - its a genuine, original Yamaha cover! Foam and base are both in great condition.
Needs new rear sprocket - I began to fit new teeth onto the original sprocket (worn sprocket + new sprocket + lathe + welder) but haven't been at work to get it welded properly. Worst case is a custom one from JTR for about $110. New rear sprocket being ordered tomorrow. Bike will be sold with 2x new sprockets and a new chain.
Chain and front sprocket are used but in good condition.
Paint on frame looking quite second hand relative to the amount of use its had since being built. Can be ignored, but it annoys me after putting the work into it!
Widened foot pegs - now they're not scary in the mud, unlike the originals were!

Was comfortably in the top twenty at the Nationals, even though I suck as a rider (and hadn't raced this bike at all before the meeting!). Even in the State of Origin Challenge, among a sea of gun riders, I was in no danger of coming last.

Spares:
Mudcatcher rear rim.
The spare MX motor stuff (as previously mentioned).
DT250A cases & gearbox.
DT250A frame, foot pegs, triple clamps and rear brake (frame number matches the motor in the MX).
Genuine MX swing arm (as previously mentioned).
Correct MX kickstart lever (currently fitted with a later one, simply because it is a nice tight lever that doesn't flop or wobble).
A couple of front sprockets.
DT1 chain guide (currently has an MX250 guide, which doesn't fit the DT1 swing arm properly).

Its very close to being ready to race - the only thing stopping me from advertising it as "ready to race" is that there's a fair bit of play in the swing arm bushes.
the rear sprocket. The swing arm bushes are great *face palm* - I was talking about the wrong bike... ::)

$1600. $1400, take it away.
Can do cheaper if I keep the electronic ignition and/or handlebars - I can supply point ignition, cheaper alloy bars, or steel bars if it suits the buyer.

Nathan. 04000 23847
In Yass, southern NSW, near Canberra.
Can deliver to Sydney for the cost of fuel in the near future.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 06:25:03 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
Re: MX250 race bike.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 02:04:01 pm »
Sounds like good value Nathan, Whats going on mate, are you getting out of the sport or just need more space for rally...
Cheers Brett hope you r well
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: MX250 race bike.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 04:37:46 pm »
Nah, just cutting back - culling the 'gunna' projects (the 125C & 125G), the stuff that distracts me (the MX250), and the bits that I've kept 'just in case'...

Pics uploading as I type.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: MX250 race bike, $1800.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 11:38:12 pm »
Can deliver to Sydney on this coming Friday, or to Cowra/Canowindra area sometime in the next week or so.

Ebay VERY soon.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: MX250 race bike, $1800.
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 06:24:16 pm »
Eh, I've been busy - haven't done a bloody thing with it...

$1400 as is, with all parts included.

Can deliver to Canberra/Wollongong, and probably Melbourne/Pakenham for a contributon toward my fuels costs, in a few weeks.

Nathan.
04000 23847