Author Topic: are there too many class's in VMX  (Read 25071 times)

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: are there too many class's in VMX
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2010, 07:16:53 pm »

[/quote]
Good point!
Local motocross in the 70's & 80's was always 20min and sometimes 30min motos, i don't know where people get the idea that 3 laps is normal race. Obviously most people on here never raced motocross.
[/quote]

Back in the 70, and 80's we were 20 and 30, not 40, 50, 60.  no matter what you believe, sorry your body is not the same.  That was then this is now,  not saying 3 lap races but get things into perspective of those who rode in the era and those that have discovered the pleasure of these bikes, but were not old enough to ride in the era.  Get your clubs to put submission to state bodies for the changes to length of races. 
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2010, 07:27:45 pm »
You are lucky that l don`t have anymore to do with making the rules, as l would make period clothing as a rule in vintage motocross, plus l would change the manufacturing cutoff dates to suit the period. I would make changes to classes, over 300, up to 250, scratch races there would be heats, and you would need to qualify to gain a position into the final of the over 300 and 250 scratch championship. l would bring back A,B,C, Classes. and grade all you fellows and some you young throttle crunchers may be embarassed where l would start.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 07:34:41 pm by DAVID#46 »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2010, 07:47:09 pm »

Good point!
Local motocross in the 70's & 80's was always 20min and sometimes 30min motos, i don't know where people get the idea that 3 laps is normal race. Obviously most people on here never raced motocross.
[/quote]

Back in the 70, and 80's we were 20 and 30, not 40, 50, 60.  no matter what you believe, sorry your body is not the same.  That was then this is now,  not saying 3 lap races but get things into perspective of those who rode in the era and those that have discovered the pleasure of these bikes, but were not old enough to ride in the era.  Get your clubs to put submission to state bodies for the changes to length of races. 
[/quote]

I'm talking about 10 or 12min motos not 20 or 30.. that is in perspective!

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2010, 08:00:07 pm »
Whats a scratch race?  I know were all getting on a bit,it doesn't have anything to do with a rash or herpes!

« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2010, 08:03:01 pm »
You are lucky that l don`t have anymore to do with making the rules, as l would make period clothing as a rule in vintage motocross, plus l would change the manufacturing cutoff dates to suit the period. I would make changes to classes, over 300, up to 250, scratch races there would be heats, and you would need to qualify to gain a position into the final of the over 300 and 250 scratch championship. l would bring back A,B,C, Classes. and grade all you fellows and some you young throttle crunchers may be embarassed where l would start.

Sounds good. I'm sick of wearing knee braces and the neck brace. That puddin' helmet I have is as safe as a bank. So to the JT helmet that has no lining left. Don't really need those teeth either.

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2010, 08:12:53 pm »
and Brad has it by the nose ( broken that is)

Cheers Trev, last seen drinking red wine over looking the plantation!

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2010, 08:28:06 pm »
you are forgeting that those longer races back in the day In the 70s
were on UNGROOMED AND NO PREPERATION TRACKS
rough as  :'(
not like we have these days :-*

tossa is spot on ;)
follow me to first turn

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2010, 08:40:37 pm »

I'm talking about 10 or 12min motos not 20 or 30.. that is in perspective!
[/quote]

That i do agree too, sorry if misread, or misinterpreted
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2010, 09:47:45 pm »
maybe I'm the only one seeing it this way, MA need to quantify what and how consitutes a "National Title", every event has been run differently, why, because it's a free for all. and by the looks everybody thinks differently, so lets make our governing body decide and set CLEAR guidelines.

are we getting there yet, MA says you must wear a helmet, so we all do, so why not for something as important as a National title.

I agree with you all,  i dont agree with the lack of defitnition and clear requirements for a National Title race, or is it simply "that will do", your just a bunch of old blokes, who really cares, well I do!!!!!!!!

Cheers Worms

Presumably, this allows each year's Nationals to have its own character, rather than being bland, cookie-cutter reruns of lasts year's event at a different track?
Presumably, each venue/host club will have different requirements, and if we demand everything meets a larger set of criteria, then we risk losing those venues/clubs as promoters?
Presumably, the CMX Commission will not approve the Supp Regos for a CMX Nats that specifies (say) two, two lap races to determine the National Championships?

The Australian Rally Championship is a joke for many reasons - but one of them is that all of the events are forced to run in the exact same format. They're as dull as dishwater for the competitors and the spectators, and the organisers are too busy making the event fit the format to actually have time to make it an event that competitors want...

I do understand what you're saying, but I'm just not sure that the solution isn't going to bring more dramas that the 'problem'.
Has anyone won an Aussie CMX Championship without working for it? Has there ever been an undeserving winner due to the format that events have been run under?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2010, 10:25:23 pm »
Has anyone won an Aussie CMX Championship without working for it? Has there ever been an undeserving winner due to the format that events have been run under?
In my opinion no. Everyone who's ever won a fully subscribed class at the Nats has had to work damn hard for it. There's no easy way to win a title, no matter how many laps or at what track it's at.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2010, 10:42:03 pm »
If the races are longer there may not be as many multiple title winners and someone else will get a shot..
Maybe that's fairer for everyone else.

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2010, 06:32:42 am »
how do we all feel about this?

are we all happy with the class's churned out each year/ and the way a precident was set, this by reducing the number of competitors from ten to 6 to consitute a race as was done at broadford. No offence to Vic's please. But in doing so, is there not a continued watering down of our National titles?

so combine the 5 pages above and add a bit of this. What are our titles worth? and what will happen down the track? if you dont have standards accross the board, I dont think any club should be able to change the format , it should be a set requirement to hold that title.

this is my opinion, i will leave it to yours.

Cheers Worms

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2010, 06:51:39 am »
I don,t mind either way however if I have to race for 15-20 minutes I would prefer to race my age group, but put the race on and I will turn up and race to any format. I like the idea of 3 or 4 lap races and the final being 7- 10 laps  but hanging on to a sidecar for 4 laps at race pace is a real workout for someone over 50

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2010, 08:44:57 am »
My take on all of this is, first we have to split the Nat's at Pre 78....very logical in my view. Then you will have time to run age group races and the required laps/time per race will all fall into place....it's quite simple really. I do agree that 2 or 3 lap sprints to decide titles is too short. When you get through all the bullshit the above is what should happen, it's just that some people lose the plot for whatever reason, the shitfight starts and then nothing gets done....ie  Col Metchers proposal to split the Nats at pre 78....another year wasted. At the end of the day it's about our sports survival and by spliting the titles you give more people a chance to participate and have a decent ride ie 3X3 lap races plus 2 laps of practice is not good value for anyone, especially if you have travelled a long distance and have 1 bike. If you split it then both era's can showcase their paticular history/era. It's a bit off track but you have to walk before you run. Hope I havent rambled on too much.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2010, 05:37:01 pm »
What about ..first moto 6 laps ..that gives you an opportunity to "recover" if you have a first lap bingle..everyone knows how important a good result in the first moto is to the overall finishing...second moto 5 laps ...getting on in the programme and us oldies (yes over 50's) are getting tired ...third moto 4 laps.... These should be for the pre 75 races only...age groups should then only be 4 laps...I raced at a nationals a while back on a (pre 75) 125, 250 and an open class ...then the age groups (in capacities also)...sure made for a long 2 days racing...