Author Topic: growing group sick of blokes hoarding bikes/parts  (Read 12100 times)

DR

Re: growing group sick of blokes hoarding bikes/parts
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 02:55:54 am »
mmm...my name is Doc, I'm 47 and I'm a hoarder :-\

that said, I feel so much better now! ;D

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 03:03:11 am »
I'm guilty of having TWO bikes. Fifty would be a hoarding wanker, no question in my mind.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 04:24:30 am »
my wife makes sure I am not a hoarder of bikes - however  I do like spares (such as clutch push leves for YZB's) for my bikes - but then when I can't use one for whaever reason I move it on.  But really as Firko says what is one man'sollection is another man's realism.  I envy those guys with the money to keep heaps i.e primm collection - but it aint gunna happen for me so why worry?

luv

(few beers too many) Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 04:29:35 am »
I guess VMXers are whore's, if the price is right we will take anything home :D

Cheers Worms, ( sold 6 vmx bikes this year, 2 left, all the rest are moderns, so that should keep harvey happy)

mx250

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 06:08:35 am »
I don't own any bikes........

.......they own me :-[ :-\ :'(.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 06:29:54 am »
 mate was a horder of sorts but could not help himself,he did however ride every meet,including overseas and always had a mate or 2 on his bikes. What pisses me off more is over the last 20 yrs i have given parts to people to finish there bike and then they sell the fecker with the part you gave them to get more bikes out there!!
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 06:44:30 am »
I'm guilty of having TWO bikes. Fifty would be a hoarding wanker, no question in my mind.
Shit lucky fifty is the cut off. I'd hate to be a wanker.
Blokes have bought fifty odd bikes back when nobody wanted them and saved them from the scrap heap. Thank god for them.
With the dollar the way it is and the pool of bikes in the U.S and the fact that there are so many being imported as well, there is no excuse for saying there aren't any around. I have had a shit load go through my hands and only one import from '07.
Oh and if you only have 4 bikes or less, than you guys are jerks....(gee that was an off the cuff, lack of thought remark).

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 09:33:45 am »
i have 40 on the way so plenty to go around ;D

firko

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 09:36:09 am »
i cant stand that nearly every month in vmx magazine there is a story of some bloke and his huge collection of vmx bikes.  if they think others envy them, well there are many that think "wanker".
This is the paragraph I find funny. Because someone shows the passion to restore and amass a collection of bikes that's good enough to make the pages of VMX they're somehow considered wankers ::). I happen to know a number of guys with large collections of bikes and each and every one of them are contributing to our sport in many positive ways and have done for years. The real wankers are the blokes who let this anti hoarder shit eat them up. Get over it.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 10:32:42 am »
In '99 I was selling off my collection to finance a long O.S. trip. I had a very tidy low mileage '75 Honda CR250. Still had the warning stickers on the tank. (Kick,kick,kick)
I took it to a swap meet and put $700 on it.  Had a guy from a VMX club tell me it was overpriced and I would never get my money for it because it wasn't pre '75 elligible. I told him for $700 he had a lot of parts to keep a '74 CR running.

I ended up selling it to some guy who just wanted a cheap bike to chase his kid around a paddock with.  Because it was cheap, it's probably leaning against the back shed in the weather now.

So the question is, should I have hoarded it until it was worth something and sold it to a VMX enthusiast were today it might grace a race track, or was I better to not hoard and let it go to disapear into the motorcycling black hole.

Let's not look at it as hoarding, let's see it as caretaking and saving classic motorcycles until such a time that a better use/owner is found for them.  The only reason VMX exists is because someone decided to hoard old bikes rather than sell them to the wreckers or let kids destroy them in the paddock.

I was at a swapmeet once and was bored so decided to start haggling over a '75 WR250 husky in mint condition. No paint worn off the tank mint. I had no use for this bike.  The bloke selling it needed it gone and some neighbour kids had offered him $800 for it to thrash in the paddock.  He let me have it for $700 because he knew I would save it.  I rode it twice, didn't like it, and 'hoarded' it in the corner for years.  One day a bloke came along who wanted to race it and made me a fair offer and I let him have it. It now get's raced.

Offline Kane Mcguire

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 10:41:05 am »
yes they do contribute firko. the amount of bikes does not classify a vmxer as a hoarder.  hoarders are few but do annoy some.

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 10:48:25 am »
In anticipation of breaking the rear mudguard off my boat tail Bultaco I must confess that I have a painted up spare hanging in the garage. Does that make me a hoarder or a wanker? Cheers Jerry (I only have one bike by the way. Costs enough to keep that running!)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 01:11:09 pm »
i cant stand that nearly every month in vmx magazine there is a story of some bloke and his huge collection of vmx bikes. 

In the spirit of this thread (ie: Having a whinge):

You know, "Blokes and Sheds" has become pretty dull since it has become just about blokes with big sheds and huge collections of beautiful bikes. Yeah, I love reading about/seeing pictures of pretty bikes and I appreciate the effort that goes into building a collection of them, but
That part of the magazine used to be a consistant highlight for me, but is now little more than a teaser for bikes that probably deserve proper feature articles in the magazine.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 01:30:35 pm »
You could always ring me or email me and then I'd know........02 9452 1444 or [email protected]

Blokes and Sheds is exactly the same now as it has always been, lots of the bikes in earlier collections also deserved individual features.

I'm here if you want to discuss it further rather than just posting on the forum.

Regards

Ken

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 02:00:23 pm »
It would go on for days, maybe even weeks Ken! ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.