Author Topic: The demise of manufacturing in Australia  (Read 54645 times)

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: The demise of manufacturing in Australia
« Reply #255 on: November 04, 2011, 05:36:52 pm »
Who are you putting forward as our leader CJ?

Perhaps we could a week each...

Myself of course!

I promise that I will be good, and nice to everyone. Even those who don't ride the same brand of motorcycles that I ride.

CJ

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 05:39:27 pm by Colj500 »
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 04, 2011, 06:00:30 pm »
Careful what we wish for team-Zimbabwe has a real leader and a shit load of diamonds too now-what more could they ask for?.....
When we had tough leaders-Bjelke Petterson and co.... we all hated them-they look pretty good now though eh? A bit like your grand parents-tough 'ol shits-but we loved 'em to death, and gone too soon.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 04, 2011, 06:02:20 pm »
That is very magnanimous of you CJ. Or should we call you Fearless Leader...

When we had tough leaders-Bjelke Petterson and co.... we all hated them

You have got to live in QLD. The rest of the world saw Joh for what he really was. Good grief Charlie Brown!!!
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 04, 2011, 07:49:36 pm »
Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.............. :P

What bloody gift horse would that be?
Are you referring to the high Aussie $?
If its only a good thing if you want to spend money overseas.
Theres a currency wars going on if you hadn't noticed,every country is trying to devalue its currency to help their export trade and to keep $ home. The AU $ is high because one we have a fairly stable economy but two because we have no policy or stratergy to lower it like everyone else has.

mx250

« Reply #259 on: November 04, 2011, 10:48:24 pm »

What bloody gift horse would that be?

;)

When measured by median wealth levels we are seven times wealthy than the Americans I don't think it has much to do with the exchange rate ;). It's how we structure our society and spread the wealth.

The demise of manufacturing in Australia .........that's the bad news, now for the good news.......

"Despite the doom and gloom, there are reasons to be cheerful. As measured by median wealth levels, Australians are the wealthiest people in the world, says the Credit Suisse Global Wealth Report 2011, which measured the wealth of the world's 4.5 billion adults................" ;D 8) ;D

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/luxury/australians-the-worlds-wealthiest-20111101-1mt2r.html

If you want to use GDP per capita (in $US) choose your preferred data source.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28PPP%29_per_capita

And if you want to talk quality of life Australia has 4 cities in the top ten world wide.

No none of that is to say we can't do better or that we should be satisfied with third class politicians, but lets count our chickens occasionally, it's not all doom and gloom :).

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 04, 2011, 11:02:36 pm »
Such are statistics, still not sure about the gift horse.We are a small population with a small percentage of indigenous peoples pretty much all accounted for, America is a large population which has as well as its indigenous peoples , large Hispanic, fairly large Chinese , some African American and many cuacasian Americans who live and survive independently from the mainstream economy -wholly or partially "under the radar" or call it the black market and therefore can't be easliy calculated statistically.

but yes I agree we are a much more egalitarian society , I stiil don't go with the statistic of our relative wealth.Our relative debt is much more believable.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

mx250

« Reply #262 on: November 05, 2011, 06:14:43 pm »
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/mining-tax-has-exposed-abbott/story-e6frfhqf-1226186251139

"IT WAS an extraordinary complaint from Tony Abbott. "It's very difficult to have a sensible debate," he said, "when you are confronted with a feral Government".

Politicians don't come any more ferocious and brutal than Abbott. He reverted to the wild the moment he got his paws on the Liberal leadership.

His style is pure attack dog, as feral as you'd get. Everything, irrespective of merit, has to be opposed and torn to pieces.     .........."
  :o

As much as I dislike Gilliard she is at least not brain dead like this idiot. Lord help us ::).

Curly3

« Reply #263 on: November 05, 2011, 07:16:02 pm »
I think we've found at least 2 of our " Rusted " on Labor voters.
I don't particularly like Tony Abbott, personally but, I do tend to lean toward the foundation Liberal philosophy.
Take off your red sunny's and have a real good look, Labor have PERSONALLY attacked Tony Abbott relentlesly since day dot.
I like to think that I stay objective, regardless.
Labor parachute Union loyal brothers into Labor safe seats regardless of their credentials and I'm not saying the Liberal's have never done it, BUT, it does seems to happen more often with Labor.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 05, 2011, 08:06:44 pm »
Slidey, I was once rusted on, but am most certainly not anymore.

I can happily accept the broad Liberal philosphy, even though I do not support it.*
However, the Liberals under Abbott are a f#$king worry - its damn near impossible to find any independent commentator who will support him or his vacuous "policies".
Even the long term Liberal strong points (the economy, particularly) are beyond both his and Hockey's grasp.
At the simplest level, Abbott's response to the GFC would have plunged us into recession - which would have cost us many times more than Labor's response did... Yes, I can hear the cries now: That the stimulus didn't make a difference, etc etc - and that's all fair enough. But all of the independent experts agree: It was still cheaper and more effective than what Abbott proposed.
And the economy is supposed to be the Liberals' strongest suite?

I can go on about useless budget replies, and nonsensical policies like reducing greenhouse gas emissions because its all a myth and all the rest, but the real point is that Hockey and (particularly) Abbott are not a realistic choice of leader for this country.
We all know what "Hockeynomics" is, but nobody has coined the term "Swannomics", just as nobody ever talked of "Costellonomics"...

They're failing our country (including Liberal supporters) by not being a realistic alternative government. The Labor party has its own (many) failings which effectively lock it into the stupid, shitty position its currently in, but the Liberals seem intent in joining the race to the bottom.
Tell me that a 2010 Turnbull vs Gillard election wouldn't have been the biggest white-wash ever...

I know Abbott gets a lot of support because he sticks the political knife in - and this IS an important part of his job as opposition leader. But a big moronic thug that's beating the crap out of someone you don't like (ie: Gillard) is still a big moronic thug.

Sorry for the rant, but there's a growing mob mentality that's stifling sensible discussion. This doesn't mean that Gillard hasn't done anything wrong or anything of the sort - but we're back to the 5 second sound bite, and it's doing us no favours.

Final point: The Liberals have changed policy quite wildly since mid 2007. If you've supported them across all four leaders in that time, then surely you're rusted on?

*(Conversely, I am a strong supporter of traditional Labor values, but think the majority of their current policies vary between "popularist" and "pointless". Finding enthusiasm for their current policies is like picking through the rubble after an earthquake - there's the occasional small bit that's still good, but most of it has been turned to rubbish).
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Curly3

« Reply #265 on: November 05, 2011, 08:43:07 pm »
How dare you, I can't be Rusted on, I take a daily fish oil capsule as a cure all for every ailment under the sun and it even keeps my coat shiny.
I totally respect your views and your insight Nathan, in other words you seem to take more than a passing interest in every day politics, I'll admit I don't but probably should.
Currently we are leaderless and that is a big concern.
Keep the bastsrds honest as Don Chipp said, our current bunch of numb skulls, do & say what MIGHT get them elected.
The sky aint falling in just yet, but if we continue with the I'm alright Jack attitude it won't take long.
Bring back Pig Iron Bob & the Silver Bodgie as a team. ;)

mx250

« Reply #266 on: November 05, 2011, 08:50:15 pm »
I think we've found at least 2 of our " Rusted " on Labor voters.

How you have come to that conclusion from the above or anything else I've written, I've got no idea :-[. Sound like an unthinking indoctrinated political slogan intended as a slur ::).

I suggest strongly that you actually read the news article. The article is a well articulated and specified attack on a political 'junk yard dog'. If you can't read it and become alarmed at the nonsense that the Mad Monk utters in the name of the Liberal party then I can only assume you agree with him for reason that you enjoy Gutter Politics or you have the same lack of economic knowledge that the Mad Monk lacks.

I don't particularly like Tony Abbott, personally but, I do tend to lean toward the foundation Liberal philosophy.
The Mad Monks tactics have absolutely nothing to do with "Liberal philosophy" and everything to do with a personal power trip for the Mad Monk.

Take off your red sunny's and have a real good look, Labor have PERSONALLY attacked Tony Abbott relentlesly since day dot.
Red Herring.

Labor parachute Union loyal brothers into Labor safe seats regardless of their credentials and I'm not saying the Liberal's have never done it, BUT, it does seems to happen more often with Labor.
Red Herring.

mx250

« Reply #267 on: November 05, 2011, 09:08:19 pm »
Such are statistics, still not sure about the gift horse.
I agree with the need to be caution around statistics. Stats are factually gathered but are not facts themselves. But stats are good to show trends and generalisation. But what I've offered is a number of different sources sliced and diced a number of different way and they all conclude Australia is in a good position as a society and an economy.

We are a small population with a small percentage of indigenous peoples pretty much all accounted for, America is a large population which has as well as its indigenous peoples , large Hispanic, fairly large Chinese , some African American and many cuacasian Americans who live and survive independently from the mainstream economy -wholly or partially "under the radar" or call it the black market and therefore can't be easliy calculated statistically.
All these peoples would be included in the population 'per capita' stats and I can't see how differences would change the numbers or conclusion.

but yes I agree we are a much more egalitarian society , I stiil don't go with the statistic of our relative wealth.Our relative debt is much more believable.
Yep, I have problem accepting the median stats as well. But there they are. If Australia is the wealthiest what are the other poor bastards putting up with :P.

Curly3

« Reply #268 on: November 05, 2011, 09:26:25 pm »
Back up the bus.
The rusted on bit was a friendly dig and I don't think I mentioned you did I Graeme, feeling guilty?
I'm not going hold a grudge against anyone because of their polical persuasion.
How boring would life be if everyone thought like me, actually if I could be prime minister, how good would that be?
I'd re-open the Syd Showground at it's spiritual home, I'd allow expansion of the Nepean complex, I'd force South's to merge with East's & play as the Roosters, I'd allow men to have more than 1 wife, I'd take Staffy's off the dangerous dog register, I'd stop Thorpie from making a comeback, I'd force feed Warnie, I'd ban big bore 2 strokes from Dirt Track and a heap of other shite but gee I'd have some fun doin it.
Please excuse my ramblings, I'm excited because I'm on a promise. :P
P.S. Stuff the showground, that place tried to kill me.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 09:39:25 pm by SlideRulz »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 05, 2011, 09:48:02 pm »
I'd force South's to merge with East's & play as the Roosters,
You had my vote up 'til then >:(
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha