Author Topic: The demise of manufacturing in Australia  (Read 54702 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: The demise of manufacturing in Australia
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2011, 11:42:16 am »
The demise of manufacturing in Australia isn't wholly an Australian problem, most of the (previously) industrialised world is losing its manufacturing to China, India or wherever the items can be produced for a viable price. Detroit auto maufacturing would shut up shop tomorrow if it wasn't for US government subsidies and tax breaks. When Japanese cars are being made in China and much of the worlds electronics made either in China or Korea the plight of Vegemite manufacture going offshore seems a bit insignicent. This has been slowly happening for 50 years but we've all turned a blind eye because in the end we all love a bargain.
Blaming governments and big business might give us something to vent our angst upon but the bottom line is that we're all to blame and it's now way too late to very much to alter the course. Greed wins every time   

Now where do I start.....Motomaniac, seeing that you seem to have been offended by a paragraph in my post back on page 2, let me try and break it down a little easier for you.

When I wrote 'Blaming governments and big business might give us something to vent our angst upon but the bottom line is that we're all to blame and it's now way too late to very much to alter the course. Greed wins every time', by 'all to blame' I mean government, big business and us citizens are to blame as a society in whole. The bottom line is that we all want to pay as little as possible for our commodities. That's the trade off.

To my way of thought the breadown in the manufacturing sector is based on big businesses quest for lower manufacturing costs, our need for a cheap commodity price and the government's blind eye on letting it go on without much intervention. It's been happening since after WW2, even back then we all complained about cheap post war Japanese imports putting businesses out of the market. One early example I can remember from the fifties was there being a stuffed toy/Teddy Bear factory at Mascot that was owned by friends of my parents that went down the tubes because they couldn't compete with low tarrif Japanese imports. That was fifty plus years ago but it's exactly the same today. Sure governments could have fixed the problem by raising tarrifs and subsidising and/or giving tax breaks to local industry but if that had happened would our mining industry be enjoying the huge profits from selling the ore that feeds the Chinese industries that sell it back to us in the form of those cheap Televisions and consumer gizmo's? Bit by bit this has been happening all over the industrialised western world but nothing much was done to stop it fifty years ago and nothings being done today because everyone's in it for the big buck.....Industry for its low manufacturing cost and high profit margin, government for it's growing tax income and us common folk and our need to have as many creature comforts and consumer gadgets for as little financial outlay as possible.

Do I like what is happening? Nosiree Bob I don't. However I can't see much changing in the next generation or the one after so I'll settle for what I've got and enjoy the riches in my life...a roof over my head, a couple of cars in the garage, a bunch of non essential to life toys and a standard of living citizens in other coutries can only dream about.  ;) That's why I'm content.
Can things be improved? Shit yeah,  for one example lets start with improving a health system that's done me no favours in recent times. Having said that, our health system for all of its problems is still a bunch better than many other coutries so I'm content to wait until my turn comes for my needed surgery.

I'm a bit over this negativity. Let's celebrate what's great about Australia instead of continually looking woodworms in the system. To quote the old proverb..... ...Stop and smell the roses. ;D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 11:49:08 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

TooFastTim

« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2011, 11:50:39 am »
It's all a (relatively) short term problem Mark. Emergent economies are prepared to work for what we consider peanuts but as the countries become wealthier their demand for "trinckets" increases too. Take Japan. The Japs are so over working stupid hours for life for a company that treats them like dirt. They want the big house, they are prepared to move companies now. How much longer will Japanese manufacturing be competitive?

When China has raised its game to the point where it loses its competitive edge where will manufacturing go then? Hint: it wont be Africa!

The wheel will turn.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2011, 01:42:39 pm »
Interesting little thing in the paper today.
Apparently Germany is on the brink and the world will end [ as we know it ] by next Sunday if they all don't sort the Euro out.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2011, 05:32:24 pm »
Interesting little thing in the paper today.
Apparently Germany is on the brink and the world will end [ as we know it ] by next Sunday if they all don't sort the Euro out.

Germany is far from on the brink but they would do much better to cut the rest of the EU loose and go it alone with the UK. The problem with the common currency is it required everyone to come up the performance of the Germans.

Next Sunday has no special meaning it will just mark another moment when the EU couldn't get its shit together. The end of the Euro was inevitable post Lehman.
formerly Marc.com

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2011, 06:56:27 pm »
So, you're bringing up stuff from over sixty posts ago? And then berating me for not remembering it?

the post was from the previous evening for forksake
 ::)
what a waste of time

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2011, 07:04:54 pm »

Germany is far from on the brink but they would do much better to cut the rest of the EU loose and go it alone with the UK. The problem with the common currency is it required everyone to come up the performance of the Germans.

Next Sunday has no special meaning it will just mark another moment when the EU couldn't get its shit together. The end of the Euro was inevitable post Lehman.

Agreed .

heres a little of how the germans do what Nathan calls perpetual whinging.
Its reunification day 1990,the 20,000 marchers were upset with their governments handling of the reunification.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCwqQxVgTCU
The 3 whingers who are perpetually whinging about Australians discussing ( what they term whinging) current affairs on this forum take note.

Part 2 is worse.I am in there BTW.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 07:13:49 pm by motomaniac »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2011, 07:46:21 pm »

Agreed .

heres a little of how the germans do what Nathan calls perpetual whinging.
Its reunification day 1990,the 20,000 marchers were upset with their governments handling of the reunification.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCwqQxVgTCU
The 3 whingers who are perpetually whinging about Australians discussing ( what they term whinging) current affairs on this forum take note.

Part 2 is worse.I am in there BTW.

I'm happy for you for having a massive e-Wang.
But I'm sorry for you for whatever is wrong with your brain that makes you incoherent.

I genuinely have no idea what your point is there, beyond a(nother) feeble attempt at misrepresenting what I've said.

[/quote]
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2011, 10:11:36 pm »
Let it go Nathan. It just ain't worth the typing energy. ;D
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2011, 10:47:18 pm »
You are probably right Firko...
In the interests of being on the higer moral ground, I've let plenty of stuff go to the keeper - but it seems to empower our little friend. Presumably he thinks that this means I don't get it, or something...
So I'm taking a forum stand: "Come out and say what you mean or STFU".

If my gut feeling is correct, and he's got mental health and/or substance abuse issues, then one of his friends should send me a PM and let me know. Seriously, 'cause I've had enough of this shit.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline lyle2212

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2011, 08:16:03 pm »
You guys crack me up with all your banter and insults and disagreemants on what is supposed to be a VMX website. I have been known to put in my 2 cents worth every now and then but, mostly I am content to sit on the sidelines and watch you all go for the jugular on anything you don,t agree with. I do recall a while back after I had recently joined this wonderfull website (no sarcasm intended) that there was and still is one particular serial blogger who would and still does put in one and two word immature and irrelavent comments on any subjecct that takes his fancy. After I chastised him for his actions he cursed me with hellfire and damnation and accused me of BLEEDING THE FORUM FOR INFORMATION !!!!!. there are some dead set freakin fruitcakes out there, and it makes you wonder what they would do if one day they could no longer access the internet.....apart from all that, this has been and still is a treasure trove of infomation for all us VMXers. Keep up the good work fellas ( and girls).

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2011, 06:35:51 pm »
You are probably right Firko...
In the interests of being on the higer moral ground, I've let plenty of stuff go to the keeper - but it seems to empower our little friend. Presumably he thinks that this means I don't get it, or something...
So I'm taking a forum stand: "Come out and say what you mean or STFU".

If my gut feeling is correct, and he's got mental health and/or substance abuse issues, then one of his friends should send me a PM and let me know. Seriously, 'cause I've had enough of this shit.

I dont have to take that kind of BS .Im not going too loose my cool like EvilRudy over your continual demeaning assumptions .
I dont think you can comprehend much of what anyone says on this forum ,everything has to be spelled out for you time and time again.

The point was that in comparison to Germany and most other countries Australians do bugger all "whinging" and are generally apathetic to what goes on in politics.

TMBill in his post got it right but you wouldn't understand what he was pointing out.

Here is a PM that I got whilst away with the VIPER boys:-

Gooday mate, glad to see you finally realised that discussing something with Nathan is like chatting to a revolving door  . Also he always has to have the last word no matter what . He also becomes very personal in his attacks......

Your point seems to be totally clear to everyone but Nathan. I left the forum for some time over this exact type of shit. It nearly happened again .

I have now basically tuned out to NathanS and to a lesser degree Firko (particularly on National or general interest issues).

Unfortunately Nathan has a tendancy think he is always on the 'moral high ground' because it is his opinion and it is naturally the correct one  .

end

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2011, 07:39:26 pm »
So anyway nothing much was achieved on Sunday, Nick and Angie are not about to have a love child any time shortly and I think the Finns have come up with the best strategy so far, the Greeks offering a little collateral. See don't meet your IMF targets and the phone network plus an assortment of teenage daughters go back to Finland. In fact given their prospects for employment in Greece quite a lot would be happy in Finland.

So looks like Zorba and his mates aern't about to get a hand up from the Germans, charity begins at home as they say, or at least Deutcherbank. UBS could also do with a little bail out as well while they are at it.  ;D

formerly Marc.com

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2011, 08:09:24 pm »

I dont have to take that kind of BS .

And nor do I.
Stop the personal crap, and you won't have anything to take.
Simple enough for you?

The point was that in comparison to Germany and most other countries Australians do bugger all "whinging" and are generally apathetic to what goes on in politics.

Australians spend a lot of time whinging because we're apathetic - if things were actually bad, we'd get off the couch and away from the PC, and we'd actually do something.
Look at the anger about the Carbon tax - and then SFA people bothered to turn up to the protest because we don't really think it's going to matter that much... 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 08:43:17 pm by Nathan S »

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2011, 08:23:19 pm »
do any of you boys need some free concrete, free delivery on the weekend as you all need to harden the f--k up.

when will you boys learn to stay on the VMX subject as your opinions are all flawed, as I find it amusing as I dont think any of you guys are importers, manufacturers or even employers in this great country and I will stand corrected on delivery of the cement ;D

as my opinion will be differant than yours, I wont bother sharing ;)

worms
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 08:55:48 pm by worms »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2011, 10:36:35 pm »
The reason I object to politics being on this VMX forum is that it turns good people pretty damn ugly pretty damn quickly. It'd be great if it were truly democratic and if people could share differing opinion without name calling and belittling each other but it seems that some folks just can't help themselves. Why does it alway become so personal and vindictive just because someone has a different political view? I don't get it but in the end I couldn't care less who agrees with me or not, life's too short to really give a damn. I really hate all of this bitterness from both sides of the political slant so I'm avoiding politics from here on and will concentrate on stuff that  belongs on the forum.....old bikes. I'm serious this time ;D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 11:05:09 pm by firko »