Author Topic: Pre 90/Pre 95 in Classic MX. An idea whose time has come?  (Read 51559 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Pre 90/Pre 95 in Classic MX. An idea whose time has come?
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2010, 12:47:36 PM »
People are complaining that it gets too hard with carry on rules and complicates things and opens a can of worms. No carry on rule makes it just plain simple. if your bike is outside the class you want to ride it then then get a bike that fits the class, its as easy as that. It stops people pushing the boundries. In reality very few if any bikes are 100% identical to the preivious year, there will always be a change somewhere.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 12:50:08 PM by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2010, 12:52:52 PM »
.... a Pre 95 class will be plagued by flow on arguments. Any class that is to be defined by engine and frame No’s is doomed so the younguns will have some serious thinking to do.

It is no different to any other era cut-off. The VMX brains trust has developed a good knowledge of bikes from the currently acceptable eras, and will develop a good knowledge of any new era(s).

We might not all know the differences between a 1999 and 2000 RM125, but this is stuff that we will learn - and we'll learn if the same way, and for the same reasons as we learned the differences between a 1977 and a 1978 RM125...

Otherwise, thanks for the sensible reply Geoff. :)
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

TM BILL

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2010, 12:59:09 PM »
For me Vintage MX ends at approx 1980 end of twin shock air cooled drum brake era.

The period 1981 to 1990 for mx was a fantastic era with probably some of the most inovative designs and most beautifull (as a mechanical thing can be) MX bikes ever.

From 1990 to 2000 it was mainly refienment of what went before.

2000 on alloy frames , performance 4 strokes  fuel injection etc.

Obviously as time goes on people will probably want to ride the bikes of these eras (im not sure about the imploding 4 bangers as i dont think they will last )

By all means run events for these bikes but why piggy back on the VMX scene  ??? Pre 85 is in already and pre 90 in some places .

This naysayer is not anti any motorcycle (not even Harleys) but as with Harleys i feel that with later eras comes a different breed of individual , and i dont want to share the sandpit with those people.

Why cant those classes tack onto modern events , the bikes and riders are more suited to modern style tracks and modern riding styles than they are at Vintage events.

Happy to support any era of racing but VMX must cut off at 1985.

I own bikes from the 60s, 70s, 80s 90s and the present.

Here in NZ we are often told pre 90 is coming  ::) but fortunatly the generation that wants them are to idle to do anything to get it up and running and are all wind and piss. They wait for somone else to put on the events and then will critisize and demand pre 2000 racing ::)

I just looked in the official VMX crystal ball , and 20 years down the track i can see the pre 1990 mob trying to discourage the pre 2010 from riding at their events ;)

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 01:03:27 PM by TM BILL »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2010, 01:10:38 PM »
.... i feel that with later eras comes a different breed of individual , and i dont want to share the sandpit with those people.

Who are these people, and what makes them so scary? Sure, blokes like Hoony terrify me, but he's the only one I know who is into biting the heads off bats and ritual sacrifice.

The people who are keen on pre-90 are all in their mid-30s or older, and have all of the work/family/mortgage commitments that goes with being that age...
If you're picturing the typical 18 year old MX grommit with silly jeans and sillier haircuts, then you're miles from the mark.

Who are you picturing?

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2010, 01:21:52 PM »
Ross, tell me those AREN'T your choice of graphics on that YZ. You could get excommunicated for that you know.

TM BILL

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2010, 01:22:04 PM »
Nathan i generalized a bit much with that statement, its not really about age more about attitude . Its not whos currently involved but who it will attract. They dont let able bodied people in the special olympics just because thier having a bad day or suffering a broken heart.
You will get those who see it as budget boy racing , and those who cant cut it at modern meetings pot hunters  ::)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 01:30:35 PM by TM BILL »

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2010, 01:35:33 PM »
Who are these people, and what makes them so scary? Sure, blokes like Hoony terrify me, but he's the only one I know who is into biting the heads off bats and ritual sacrifice.

The people who are keen on pre-90 are all in their mid-30s or older, and have all of the work/family/mortgage commitments that goes with being that age...

Now that's funny Nathan, me scare anyone !  and bugger me it was only one bat and a suzuki footpeg sacrifice to beelzebub  ;)

yes i'm a Pre 90 fan, by the way i'm 47 have a mortgage, Married, 2 kids no tattoos or piercing's. for me i reckon the cutoff is 1989 but that's just me.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 01:37:41 PM by Hoony »
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2010, 01:41:57 PM »
Graeme - I initially took the attitude of why are we going there again as I also don't see these later classes as VMX - and why should we bother - those that want to ride them can ride with moderns any day they like as it is - and I also agree with Firko - if we put as much effort into fixing what is currently wrong as we do into this later movement maybe all would be well.  However at the end of the day if somebody could work out the debacle of where the split(s) would need to be then I can ride my pre75, have a dabble in pre 85 and not give a toss about pre later whatever.

So - I believe there is a classic car formula that goes - 25 years or older is classic, 35 years or older is vintage,45 years or older is....... etc.  And then once those are split (except for the never ending bloody difficult pre 78) we could just run the old A,B,C grade or 125s, 250s and opens/500s just like the good old vintage days.

Simple enough?

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

All Things 414

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2010, 01:46:01 PM »
Ross, tell me those AREN'T your choice of graphics on that YZ. You could get excommunicated for that you know.

Yes I did pick 'em and I luv 'em! Unfortounitly this set's nearly knackered and I wish I'd bought two (they were about 40 bucks each at the time).
Whitey 43 certainly knows his YZ's. That air-box is a '99 model as are a lot of the bits off this bike. The bike was a 'rolling write-off' that I picked up cheap and that was the plan for the rest of the bike after that. Build it cheap! Because it was several years old and not popular any more there was tons of trick stuff for it (shock valving etc) as well as all the engine parts sourced cheap from The US. They nearly give the stuff away! Even the Talon hubs, rims and spoke set were a bargain!

If you want to do some modern racing on something pretty unique, this is the way to go. All up it cost under 4G and it's very quick.... :)

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2010, 03:01:31 PM »
Can't you all just be friends and respect each others preferred era's they all have there place and progression will be up to the individuals it should not be up to any one individual or group to "rain on another's parade" if the numbers are there and the enthusiasm then let it happen I personally love the old bikes and everything from 65 and before to 2010 and what ever comes along beyond,there Mx'ers/scrambler's there all good and so are the characters that own and compete with them,if you have a fair dinkum love for bikes you shouldn't be trying to prevent any one from having a "go" there's a lot of opinions but there's no proof that additional later year classes will or wont work "suck it and see" so to speak

#8 :D

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2010, 03:11:01 PM »
Totally agree #8 well said.

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2010, 03:49:37 PM »
ah the cruzx of the matter is really, why does everyone think the current class,s need to be added to, do we really need to expand the class's anymore because someone has a pre 90 or pre95 bike,

simple, go and start a club specific to era's you want, that would be cool, but lets let VMX settle a bit instead of this attitude if we dont do something, we've all got our heads in the sand.

NO-ONE IS STOPPING ANYONE FORMING A CLUB SPECIFIC TO ANY CLASS, JUST GO AND DO IT!

if all the era's die because us old farts dont believe in anything after pre85 so be it, you young guys will laughing at us for not wanting to expand.

just accept the playing field as it is or go and build a new field.

cheers Worms

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2010, 03:59:12 PM »

just accept the playing field as it is or go and build a new field.

Like you did when you lobbied for pre-85 to be included?

suzuki43

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2010, 04:47:16 PM »

TM BILL

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2010, 04:59:26 PM »

:D :D :D :D

At least i can sleep easy this side of the ditch Liz  ;) its all wind and piss  :D