Author Topic: Is pre 90 class too close to moderns, too far from vintage?  (Read 10786 times)

shoey

Re: Is pre 90 class too close to moderns, too far from vintage?
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2010, 01:41:23 PM »
You can ride a pre-90 bike at Saturday practice at any Heaven meeting. For that matter i think the club will even allow you practice on a modern.

You can cut as many laps as you like.

firko

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2010, 01:47:51 PM »
But in all honesty, yes I have looked - here, ebay, gumnut, trading post, DDR, Shoreline. You name it. As for building, yes that works too but I firmly believe a bloke needs a rider first, then a project. No good having a bike in bits when your mates are all out there cutting laps.
With respect I doubt you've been looking very hard Tony. If you were really serious you'd have a bike by now. What exactly are you looking for?
In my 25 years of chasing down old dirt bikes I've found shitloads of bargains but maybe you're being a bit precious as to what you think your 3k will bring. As Nathan said, why not race a stripped traily until your dream bike comes up. Many do and they have all sorts of fun. I've got some upmarket bikes but I've had the most fun with bikes built out of discarded dung. As I stated earlier, I honestly believe that if you were serious you'd have found something to race for 3k by now.

Offline whitey 43

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010, 01:48:48 PM »
I had my first ride (slowly) on the weekend @ Bidadabba after 10 years on the sidelines & had no idea of this pre 90 issue...What I found was A heap of decent blokes (& gals) all out trying  to have A bit of fun on the weekend. Half the fun is trying to make the older bikes look decent again (after years of mistreatment) then trying to stay upright whilst going as fast as you're game to untill you pass out, fall off or throw up.I raced extensively through the 90s & Im at the point where I dont want to be used for traction or go screaming into A 10 foot wide gap with 39 other lunatics. I love all the bikes, all the eras & all the effort made to make you feel welcome at QVMX. Yes my preference is pre 90-they aer the bikes I watched my heros blast around on & that is my passion. The older bikes will disappear in time but wont be forgotten & I guess what im trying to say is lets look at the past with A little bit of foersight...

Offline whitey 43

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 01:50:30 PM »
sorry bout the spelling...

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010, 01:55:30 PM »
3k ? I have dreamed of having 3k to spend on a VMX racer. Keep looking you will find treasure, Take your "pre 90" to any reputable MX club sign up and cut laps enjoy.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 02:12:33 PM »
Yes, you can ride a pre-90 at a modern meeting.
You can also ride a pre-75 bike at a modern meeting - but very, very few of us choose to do so. Instead, we prefer to hold/attend meetings catering for old bikes.

Why is this so? Why is it different for pre-90?

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 04:00:09 PM by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Tony Two Times

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010, 02:52:13 PM »
Thanks guys. It's been a hoot ??? But due to my obvious....

- lack of multiple thousands of dollars,
- lack of ability to look hard,
- lack of seriousness,
- and preciousness

............I might just give this forum the swerve.

See ya.

T.

#66 - Fat Snail Racing.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2010, 03:08:40 PM »
- lack of seriousness,
- and preciousness
See ya.
T.

Enjoy the Qld pre90.. come back in the future some day  8)
cheers west oz
Best is in the West !!

TT

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2010, 03:14:04 PM »

- lack of seriousness,
- and preciousness

See ya.

T.

I'm normally pretty polite but..................... Jeezuss!! What do you want??? Lot's of people gave you suggestions and advice of how how to get into it without spending a lot of money and it looks to me like you've chosen to ignore that cos you really want to go Pre 90.

No problem. No doubt you'll have a ball going that way, but please don't pretend that you're only doing it cos all the "hoarders" with million dollar bikes won't hand you a mint example for the price you think it should be worth.

Now, more than ever, there are affordable bikes that you can race in pretty much any class you choose. If you really wanted to............. So, I'm sorry, but that's not an excuse. e.g. I just piched up a Montesa which will end up costing me less than $1500.00 ready to go with new tyres.

Hey, that feels good to have a spit every now and then.   :D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 03:18:49 PM by Tony T »

shoey

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2010, 03:20:17 PM »

Spit hard and spit long and well you shall feel

firko

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2010, 03:42:25 PM »
hanks guys. It's been a hoot
Sensitive little puppy or what?. He wouldn't have lasted much longer if that's the attitude anyway.  ;D

Offline fatboycrash

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »
Easy Tiger!!

Some of you boys and girls are hanging on WAY too tight......  Relax a little.  I STILL don't get it.

Once again for the Dummies, in 25 simple words or less.....

"We should not allow a pre 90 class because : " ?

It's coming. Not IF, but WHEN. Seems to me all this pontification is just that.   A lot of MY willy is bigger than YOUR willy stuff.

P.S. I know Tony. I know how genuine he is and I think you blokes have missed the point. Oh, and he is a BIG bastard.....

Offline fatboycrash

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2010, 04:05:25 PM »
Here is a bike all ready to go

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=14803.0

I can see the difference in the 2 seats on the 2 RM's that Nathan pointed out earlier on. That was a good post as usual.

Mate, are ya serious?? It's in Western Australia. Have you priced how much it is to transport from WA to Queensland? Makes the purchase a whole different thing......

Offline whitey 43

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2010, 04:32:46 PM »
Easy Tiger!!

Some of you boys and girls are hanging on WAY too tight......  Relax a little.  I STILL don't get it.

Once again for the Dummies, in 25 simple words or less.....

"We should not allow a pre 90 class because : " ?

It's coming. Not IF, but WHEN. Seems to me all this pontification is just that.   A lot of MY willy is bigger than YOUR willy stuff.

P.S. I know Tony. I know how genuine he is and I think you blokes have missed the point. Oh, and he is a BIG bastard.....
I met Tony on the weekend - very passionate...like the rest of us...

trailietrash

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2010, 04:35:49 PM »
whitey 43 said...

Yes my preference is pre 90-they aer the bikes I watched my heros blast around on & that is my passion.

and that is why I like pre 75 and pre 78. These are the bikes of my youth, memories, hero's and my passion. I doubt that I would ever want to race a pre 90 but I see no difference in my passion for what I like, now I am in my 50's, compared to the guys and girls in their 30's and 40's.
Has MA or any of the clubs tried to survey the demand for pre 90? It will be a demand for both new and existing riders in the sport to race in their own recognised class that, I see,  will drive its adoption more than any other factor.

I really think the important question is not whether "Is pre 90 class too close to moderns, too far from vintage?" but more....

Will the VMX associations  be able to cater for the inevitable expansion in VMX or will pre 90 need to form its own association to cater for the pre 90 riders?

but I do hope that whatever the answer, everyone who rides in whatever class is happy with the outcome and that ALL old Motocross bikes can be not just raced but displayed in the pits and enjoyed in the same way as Traction engines or Steam trains are today by much of the wider public.