Author Topic: 1978 390AMX - The Resurrection  (Read 8190 times)

firko

Re: 1978 390AMX - The Resurrection
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 10:55:26 am »
Great project Col, this is without doubt my favourite model Husky. It'd be good if you could keep those A4DE paint tags to maintain the bikes history as you say.
I've just noticed that Shoey's now a "guest". Have I missed something traumatic? 

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 07:56:18 pm »
Well, it is finally out of the mess that is my shed.

Here is how she looked on Sunday:

The quick ride that I had around my yards, total distance about 400m was enough to frighten me back into riding my other Husky (a ride on mower) for the rest of the day. In that 400m I nearly stacked it at least 6 times with either the back end stepping out or the front wheel trying to go over my head. It is a pity that the local club is in recess until May due to the fire bans in the district, so I won't be able to really frighten myself until then.

Apart from a few more detailed bits and pieces, she will remain just as she is in the picture above.

I am know really looking fwd to the Aust titles at the brook so I can go and make an utter fool of myself and pretend that after 30 odd years I can still race MX.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 09:26:59 pm »
Looks great. Well done.  Sounds like she has plenty of poke.  Back end stepping out ??? ??? ???.......I always though those Fox airshocks were suss ;D ;D ;D  How is the first gear engagement? Do you need to give it a fist full of revs to move off or does it engage fairly early?  Cheers
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 06:36:10 pm »
The back-end stepping out was more a case of a hardpacked dirt driveway with a fine layer of sand on it, i.e. absolutely zero traction, the exact opposite to the rest of my "backyard" which is paddock/pasture and privides way to much traction and results in almost looping out if I gas it to hard. The Fox Shox were great when I was racing back in the late 70's early 80's. I have yet to set them up correctly, but still have the settings that I last used written in my manual, although I now weigh about 20kg more so may have to change them a bit. From the short ride I had, 1st gear seem to be engaging as it should (hard to remember after 30 years), but I could putt around quite easily in first gear with out any trace of slip. The main clutch drum was one of the few parts in the tranny that needed replacing, being badly worn, all the clutch shoes were just recut and that was about it. I didn't even need to use the spare mainshaft and engagement gear that I found I still had in my box of bits.  It is just a case of all hell breaking loose when I opened the throttle fully and the other gears come in to play. It is probably just a case of getting used to the rush of power from a big bore 2 stroke after years of riding and racing 500 Yammies.

CJ 
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!