Author Topic: chrome removal  (Read 2162 times)

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
chrome removal
« on: September 06, 2010, 12:54:52 pm »
Hi everyone,I have a frame that has been chrome plated.Does anybody know how to remove the chrome plate from the frame,regards paul.
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: chrome removal
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 01:08:34 pm »
Wondered teh same thing myself, want to get a frame renickled, and i reckon it would be better getting it acid dipped rather than blasted, but both have there issues...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 03:34:44 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 01:21:39 pm »
Go talk to the platers that you intend to use to replate the frame.
They will be able to strip it for you, then it's up to you if you want to polish it yourself or let them do it for you.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 01:44:12 pm »
Yeah unless you have access to a BIG tank and a heap of sulfuric acid and a decent power supply then just sent it to a chromer. I have striped chrome from small parts my self but its not worth it for big suff.

if you want to replate it DONT get it sandblasted as it makes a hell of a lot more work in the polishing process as you got a really rough surface. If you get the chromers to electro chemically strip it, it will basically take the chrome off back to what the the surface was like before it was plated and you wont have much polishing to do.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 05:14:50 pm »
Thanks for your advice,I am not going to get the frame replated,I am going to paint it.Again, thanks for the advice,paul.
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 05:27:35 pm »
If you are going to paint it then, you can get it sand blasted. That will get a fair bit of it off and if its really crappy and peeling it might just blow off real easy when the sand blaster does it. It depends on how good/bad the chrome is. I dont mean glass beads, they wont touch it, its gotta be the coarse sand. You need to make an assesment as to how much rust is around the place and if its really under the chrome or not. To be on the safe side i think iwould take it to a chromer to chemically strip so that all the chrome is removed and there is no patches left on it that may still have rust underneath. After chrome striping i still think you will want to get the frame sand blasted anyway because whenever i get stuff stripped for dent repairs etc eg tanks, they rust really quick after the 'pickling' process and they would be no way near ready for painting. So yeah my addvice would be get the chrome stripped chemically first, then do your frame repairs (if any) then get it sand blasted. That would be the best way to do it.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 06:47:00 pm »
i tried the sand blast method and powder coating a speedway diamond.the blaster couldnt get all the plating off and i had to take it to a chrome plating place 1st then back to the powder coaters to blast and powder coat.it wasnt the best job i have seen either little bits of plating still on frame.needed to be sanded back well first before blastng and coating
jim

Ok

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 07:56:15 pm »
I had to remove flaky chrome the other day off a couple of old engine covers i did it with the disc sander worked a treat but that was on alloy.
They are all polished up now and look like chrome again ;D.

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 09:43:46 pm »
Here's an article from Ducati owners site on stripping chrome, a frame would probably be a bit ambititious though.

http://www.docv.org/cgi-bin/news/newsscript.pl?record=46&template=site

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 09:47:31 pm »
Thats one way to do it. There are a few ways.