Author Topic: Late Model KTM (NOT VMX related)  (Read 9062 times)

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Late Model KTM (NOT VMX related)
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 10:50:23 pm »
Try your honda dealer for the carby needle holder, same part used on CR250's till 2001 and cheaper than KTM. Use a 6 sided hex socket when removing to prevent dramas. Before attempting to remove drain plugs on KTM's give them a tap with a hammer to help loosen them first. Use a gallon and a half of loctite on the two shock bolts as they have a tendency to fall out also. Same for thegear lever retaining bolt, and the kickstart bolt.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 12:48:35 pm »
back in the day stripping your new bike....lubricating it and loctiting it the day you got it was a given. My KTM 350s did almost the same things years ago.

BTW EXC 300 has got to be the best dirt bike ever built, I am dead jealous.  ;D

formerly Marc.com

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 04:18:13 pm »
Never used locktite on my bikes.
Silastic worked a treat and easy to undo the nut if required. :)
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 06:43:45 pm »
BTW EXC 300 has got to be the best dirt bike ever built, I am dead jealous.  ;D

Yes, i am very happy with it, it has a beautiful engine, nice strong bottom and mid with a nice hit up top, its a great trail bike and a pleasure to ride.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 09:55:23 pm »
I was warned about the axle screws when I bought my 2000 model 300.
What they didn’t warn me about was how the swingarm could brake in half for no reason.
Or that the left side main bearing will chop out easily due to it being smaller than the right side and wearing a heavier flywheel compared to the MX model.
Had all sorts or starting and running problems till I worked out the main bearing was gone.

I hated mine. Seemed like a good idea at the time but it just gave me a lot of grief (stupid things like the fluid drain plug in the motor fell out when I wasn’t looking which cooked the motor & the swingarm breaking)
It was a peaky model too, it was bloody quick in a straight line but too hard to ride in tight bush.
I’ve ridden a 06 or 07 model which was streets ahead of the 00 is usability. Rode an 09 recently too, it was so grunty I had to check to see if it was diesel.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline ozktm

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 07:08:14 am »
I have got the 07 300exc.
Running the Red spring, FMF Fatty pipe, SXS muffler. Holy sh#t does it go.
Haven't had any issues with it, except for the bracket that holds the pipe on got a crack.
About to fit steering dampener setup soon.
More fun is fitting the motard wheels and heading up macquarie pass!

Regards,
Adrian Goold #101

'72 KTM 175 |'74.5 KTM 250 |'74.5 KTM 400 |Hagon/KTM 250 proj|'76 MC5 250 Project |'76 MC5 400|'78 KTM 250 Project |'81 KTM 250 MC | '81 KTM 495 MC

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 12:04:35 pm »
I was warned about the axle screws when I bought my 2000 model 300.
What they didn’t warn me about was how the swingarm could brake in half for no reason.
I’ve ridden a 06 or 07 model which was streets ahead of the 00 is usability. Rode an 09 recently too, it was so grunty I had to check to see if it was diesel.

Shit, what a bad run. did KTM (Was it old Berty then?) replace the swingarm under a warranty claim Geoff?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1986 Honda CR250RG

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 08:47:09 am »
I took it to Boltons who tried to put it through as warranty but it was knocked back.
To be fair though, I was the 3rd owner.
It broke clean through just in front of the axle adjuster that you talk of. There is a hollow in the webbing in the cast axle slot section just before it joins into the extruded part of the arm. (Only on some arms)
It was only my second ride on it at home here, it was handling really weird, I kept stopping to check the tyres to see if they were flat. When I saw the tyres were fine I was starting to think that I’d lost it.
Then I suddenly realized I never had it to start with. ;D
I’ve often wondered if the previous owner knew and that’s why he unloaded it.
I bought this bike because it looked to be a low hour bike that had only been ridden by casual trail riders.
What really bugs me is that I only wanted a modern  bike that didn’t need working on, but it ended up consuming many dollars and time.
I could have finished my HL for the money I spent on it, which would have grown in value compared to the KTM dropping in value.
Ah well, not the first or last bad decision I’ve made.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

ted

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 06:09:23 pm »
"I could have finished my HL for the money I spent on it, which would have grown in value compared to the KTM dropping in value." quote from GMC

Thats why i punted my 2008 EXC 530 for a `83 KX 500

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2010, 12:02:02 am »
Make sure the chain is a tad looser than the manual says.  Best is to take the shock out and push the wheel through it's arc to get your set adjustment and then take note of it. I usually keep it 8mm from the swingarm.  Too tight and they will crack hubs.

As for rear sprockets comming loose.  I have only found that on sprockets that have cutouts on the centre mounting hole. (So instead of a full circle you have these feet that sit against the lip of the hub.) From what I can tell the sproket tends to rock back and forth and loosen the bolts.  Had it happen twice.  Tossed the sprocket and went back to one that has the full circle centre mounting hole and never had a problem in thousands of K's.

The bolts siezing in the swingarm has a part number and is standard KTM.  Although I've only had it happen once and it was a bent bolt not a siezed one.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2010, 02:49:50 am »
mate here at work is looking at one of the new 300s - I heard the electric leg was only useful for when stuck on the side of a hill and was a bit lightweight for every time use - true?  Are they as good as everyone says?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2010, 11:09:17 am »
mate here at work is looking at one of the new 300s - I heard the electric leg was only useful for when stuck on the side of a hill and was a bit lightweight for every time use - true?  Are they as good as everyone says?

there as good as a big breasted Blonde who's dad owns a pub.

i agree with the electric leg, they are easy to kick over and it would come in handy on a snotty hill, having said that if you had the electric start you would always use it, if you didn't have the model with it you wouldn't miss it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 11:12:27 am by Hoony »
1986 Honda CR250RG

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2010, 01:09:47 pm »
I have a 08 300 exce bought it new, it is my only euro bike and it is great, SX mufler for a better note, suspension sorted by terry hayes. I do find that the elec start requires lube every 6 months. I kick start it when its cold only
Best modern bike i have ever riden or owned!
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2010, 02:56:15 pm »
hey Brett how much did the SX muffler cost? notice any performance gain?
1986 Honda CR250RG

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2010, 07:48:52 pm »
Hooney,
I got a KTM hardpart FMF silencer on my sx.Cost about $250 if memory serves me correctly.
Peformance changes, buggered if I know.It did require some serious jetting changes (richer) though.
Looks shit hot, that's all that matters right. ;)