Author Topic: Aussies heading to Vets MX of Nations-MA NEWS  (Read 27665 times)

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: Aussies heading to Vets MX of Nations-MA NEWS
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2010, 08:00:17 pm »
Hey Russ,

great stuff. did you get plenty of works bike pics?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2010, 08:02:27 pm »

The Dave Thorpe works bike now owned by Dave King. He was kind enough to let me push it round to Thorpies tent.

Does this thing look good on me?
Everyone was approachable which was great.
I will put some pics up of bikes on the ning site as well as its heaps easier than on here.

suzuki43

« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2010, 08:09:50 pm »
Great work Elvis!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2010, 08:14:48 pm »
yep it does look good on ya  :P.. in the first pic(standing) you look like your ready to steal it- with the poistion of your fingers.  ;D  ;D  :P
cheers
Best is in the West !!

« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2010, 08:27:00 pm »
Yep. You can see my mind ticking over. How can I fit it in my suitcase!
I have started uploading pic's on the ning site as well. Trick bikes abound. The Gobers' bikes were all works bikes.The Germans had some of the trickest. One of the riders' dad was a genius. He is the guy that made the front hub with the two front brakes. He had other inventions that escape me at the moment.

« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2010, 10:27:22 pm »
Had to throw this one in. WTF  ???
Don't get pissed and stumble out the front door!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2010, 10:40:36 pm »
Probably why there are so many bloody Paddy's in Ireland ...one dead don't matter  ;D  same stone pubs  :D
Best is in the West !!

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2010, 05:41:37 am »
can someone tell me what the ning site is please where the photos are being uploaded to ?????

suzuki43

« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2010, 05:54:24 am »
www.ozvmx.com
Cheers Dave,great race buddy!

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2010, 06:44:14 am »
ok i have worked out 090 is brad and holeshot buddy is rusty but can you help me with who john and chris are on here please.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2010, 08:04:23 am »
Why JohnnyO of course. ;)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2010, 08:43:51 am »
Chris is pirie593

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2010, 10:21:01 am »
You shouldn't give out secret info like that-now we'll have to shoot him-unlees he comes and organises the nats for free.

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2010, 05:00:42 pm »
Finally back after some R&R on IoM and in Paris.
Had a fantastic time at Farleigh thanks mainly to Dave King, John Trueman and the rest of their gang.  Their hospitality was tremendous despite them having to cope with several hundred other riders and thousands of spectators.  However, as John K can testify, DO NOT GO TO THE PUB with them.  Dave, Chris and Matt were unbelievable in stepping up to the plate with bikes and helped out when small problems arose (or not so small for JK). 
The track was superb and chopped up heavily by the end of the second day.  The most intimidating section for me was the down-hill steps; ok in an enduro but tricky with 5- 10 other riders in the same space.  We all tended to take time to settle in, and I think a few more rides on the track prior to the event would have helped with our times.  Setting up the bikes was hampered to some degree by our lack of track familiarity and how it chopped up over the course of the day.
Logistically we struggled at times due to lack of tools and fuel supply.  We were able to beg, borrow and steal from other riders (many thanks to Bo, ex-Ohlins man from Sweden who's Husky shit its gear-box in his first race, to DK and to Steve Johnston, the Aussie speedway rider who is based in Swindon and had a ball racing at Farleigh).
David White, CEO of MA, helped out as "Race Manager", supplying transport to the local servo on Saturday evening to get fuel and making sure that we were all started and ready to go before each race.  The uniforms supplied by MA looked great and were a big hit.
There turned out to be a gaggle of Aussie supporters, mostly friends of Steve Johnston's (Leigh Adams and Mark Lemon came in to watch) and I noticed Kiwi flags around the circuit (for Coppins and King, but they were waved each time an Aussie went by).
The atmosphere was great and at one stage the crowd went ballistic when I rode past; and then I was lapped by Wheeler and House.
The first corner was mayhem, with 45 riders funneling down into a narrow slippery corner.  Brian Wheeler had ridden my bike around the circuit on Tuesday before the event and had then tampered with it so that it fell down in the first corner.  He flatly denied it but why else would it have happened; twice?
The memories are endless; Terry House, a true gentleman and champion, Neil Hudson and brother Dave (Neil's son was racing and Dave ran a Yamaha parts supply outlet during the event), at last a drink on Sunday night (I still don't know what I was drinking), swapping jersey with Spanish rider and memories of 1978.  I am sure that Brad, John and Rusty will also be sharing their memories with all and sundry for some time to come.
Naturally, my stories already involve me lapping at about 10 seconds quicker and by Xmas I will probably be winning each moto.
I will post some photos which I hope adds to those already out there.  If you have ever dreamed of riding at an event like this, just DO IT !!!!!!!  Cheers, Chris.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 05:52:45 pm by pirie593 »

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2010, 05:06:13 pm »