Author Topic: Vinduro competition  (Read 18029 times)

Offline redrider1

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Vinduro competition
« on: August 15, 2010, 03:43:56 pm »
Hey
With the increased participation in the vinduro scene is there any indication that it may become a competition based ride instead of a casual trail ride setup?
Interested to know of what direction it is likely to take. As with others aspects of motorcycle riding that has become competitive the costs involved start to rise very quickly putting people off joining in.
Keen to know peoples perspective on this.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Vinduro competition
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 03:55:31 pm »
It won't become competitive that is it's main appeal ie stopping whenever you like riding as little or as much as you like they are just casual days where everyone has fun.

Some guys go really fast and do a heap of laps others don't that is what makes it fun there isn't set rules you can't really miss the start and you can leave whenever you'd like.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 04:02:47 pm »
I reckon there is room to have non competitive as well as competitive and then that gives the option to do either. There would be people who would like a competitive vinduro. Im not sure how you could do it at the same event unless you had different courses or run non competitive not at the same time as competitive to avoid slower? non competitive guys getting in the way of the faster guys racing, especially if its timed to the second.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline dalesween

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 04:05:02 pm »
If it becomes competitive alot of people wont bother turning up which will in turn hurt entry fee takings,just my two cents .

Dale.

mx250

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 04:57:41 pm »
You can always ride a competitive event 'non-competitively'  ;) :D - but there is always that contradictory rule; 'when and where one one or more motorcycle shall meet there will be an event call a 'race' - GCR's 101. :D

Offline Pedro

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 07:50:25 pm »
Gday redrider,
                   Or should we call you Honda mate! :D If you are keen for a bit of comp. riding there are a lot of enduro's held that run rally class  :o This class has a time card and rides the same terrain as the pro classes and its intent is to let you run at the rear of the classes and experience what the concept of the event is all about. Or just ride vmx its getting pretty full on.

I personally am really looking forward to the masters games i think it will generate a lot more interest in the vinduro concept and that will be a good think to all those fellas that are stripping the lights off the classic enduro weapons to be involved in vmx because they don't have an event here in SEQ on a regular basis that i am aware of.
                                     Husky AU                     

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 08:09:46 pm »
It takes a fair bit more work to run a competitive enduro compared to a trail ride.  
IMHO I would rather a competitive enduro than just a ride.
If things go right I hope to get one happening next year which will probably mean I won't get to ride it :(
This is a competitive classic enduro, I think I would bother to turn up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7FVFezWSWQ&feature=player_embedded
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 08:19:20 pm »
It takes a fair bit more work to run a competitive enduro compared to a trail ride.  
IMHO I would rather a competitive enduro than just a ride.
If things go right I hope to get one happening next year which will probably mean I won't get to ride it :(
This is a competitive classic enduro, I think I would bother to turn up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7FVFezWSWQ&feature=player_embedded
Interesting NSR.
I can think of a few guys to tell. :)
Where is ZSCHOPAU????? :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 08:20:59 pm by Mike52 »
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline dalesween

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 09:18:27 pm »
MX250 ,if you think people"race" anyway in non competitive vinduros why change,let those that want to race do so and let the cruisers cruise with no pressure.This is the whole reason i got into vinduros as i am the first to admit my competitive racing days are long gone but i still like the bikes of the era and to meet up with others with the same outlook is where it,s at for me.As for turning up NSR good one , i hope you "win".

Dale.

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 09:35:18 pm »
i hope you "win".

I don't confuse having fun racing and having to win.  I would be frustrated if I did :P.
Dale I understand where your coming from, and thats fine.
Cheers
Noel   
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline Big John

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 10:47:26 pm »
I would like to see a competition, but have classes for pre75 or 80 bikes but still keep vinduros pre 85. Just to get more of the older bikes involved otherwise everybody will be just riding ITs PEs XRs or KDXs.

Offline b490

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 11:00:05 pm »
 Quite happy to just cruise around a loop at my own pace enjoying my old enduro machines in the company of others . ;D
Non competitive format , probably creates more relaxed environment for the majority of vinduro enthusiasts.  ;)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 11:09:39 pm »
You can have a 'competitive' class for those who want to race and a 'rally' or clubman' class that is not timed or what ever for those that want to cruise around and not 'compete'. With awards for the most laps completed currently, they are kinda getting close to being competitive anyway.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

IT400C

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 01:18:04 am »
I agree with NSR.  Half the fun of Vintage Enduros is checkpoints-timecards-special tests etc....  That's why it's Vinduro not Vintrailride....    ::)

But seriously - there's no reason that you have to race in a Vintage (timed) Enduro - just have a Rally (non-competitive) class as well as the normal classes.  Even without the Rally class, if you do away with the 'houring out' rule, there's no reason that anyone has to treat it as anything other than a trailride anyway.  Do a lap when you want, don't take a time card etc...  When you get to a checkpoint, if you aren't interested in the competitive side of it, just ride slowly through and laugh at the guys waiting for their minute to come up on the bundy clock!   :D ;D ;)

And as for classes, I think age of bike is more important than capacity..  maybe you break it down to under 250 and over 250, but you probably don't need to go any further than that.

I think we had a good long talk about this a year ago.  Pre 75, Pre 78, Pre 81, Pre 85 or similar?

mx250

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 07:03:15 am »
It's a great idea.........and a lot of work for someone to set up a genuine Vintage Enduro; no repeat trails, special test, manning etc. And they probably won't capture the old Qantastic, Forrest 400, etc etc days. We don't have the same easy access to public land and trails we once had. There has being an evil incarnation called a 'greenie' since those salad days.

Probably have it attached to a modern enduro similar to the Rally class but with specific encouragement and rules such as 'no hour out' and maybe special consideration for the Cross Country and MX special tests - assuming the Rally and Old Farts classes will run after the moderns - those modern bikes can dig some nasty trenches, ruts and braking bumps in a hurry  ;) :o.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 07:05:04 am by mx250 »