Author Topic: any news on les richter  (Read 5269 times)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
any news on les richter
« on: July 25, 2010, 06:11:24 pm »
he had a major off today at the dirt track raceing  ,paramedicics were called to the track
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 07:14:41 pm by paul »

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: any news on les richter
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 06:35:30 pm »
turtells' going to check up on him later tonite,was a particular nasty off,mick
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Turtle.Inc

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 07:49:57 pm »
Just got off the phone with John Hunter Hospital, they still doing all the tests CT's etc, he was complaining of lower back, ribs and major pain around kidneys when laying out on the track, broke the chin piece through on his helmet has knocked him around pretty bad. Didnt quite know who or where he was for a while :-\

He is yet to be admitted and is pretty out to it on the morphine, so no use trying to call him tonight.

Looks like lost a nut on rear brake arm, brake arm disengaged, brake hub spun around and locked the arse end up, front wheel tucked in underneath and major cartwheeling at the end of the Barleigh ranch straight. :(
Always looking for Maico parts/bikes, cash paid

montynut

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 08:00:56 pm »
That is really bad news. Les has had a bad run with injuries over the last year or so. Hope we hear soon that it is not a bad as it sounds.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 09:05:20 pm »
Not good.
Hope it isn't as bad as it sounds - best wishes Les.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 09:06:17 pm »
please keep us posted on how les is.

firko

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 10:01:49 pm »
Shit news. Les is a good friend, and it's true, he's had a couple of nasty offs in recent times including his biggy with Turtle at
Moruya last year. I hope he pulls up with only a bit of bark missing.....

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 10:55:10 pm »
Good luck gettin better Les, is he the mainly maico dude?
Cheers Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 07:42:57 am »
Yeah, that's him.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 09:06:36 am »
Les is your go-to guy for all your aftermarket plastics, pipes, decals, cables, wheel rims, YSS Susp products, workshop  services and heaps more VMX related goodies. I have dealt with Mainly Maico/VMX Unlimited on numerous occassions and found Les to be a great Bloke. Losing a fastener from Braking systems is bad news and cannot be stressed enough how important frequent checks are required.

From personal experience : 1st time was a rear drum torsion rod bolt fell out - Result ruined Brake backing plate and Brake actuating rod, Back wheel locked up and I was able to recover the bike before crashing out.

2nd time not so lucky, front caliper bolt fell out at high speed - Result, front wheel locked up and tucked under spilling rider unceremoniously into terra firma. Ironically, the Loctite rep had delivered a presentation at work singing the praises of his products the Friday before the Sunday crash.

Everything safety lockwired now - check. ::)
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 11:23:16 am »
A friend just text me.
Seems to be no major damage found on his back and kidneys at this stage.
Les has five fractured ribs, a bruised lung, a broken thumb and a humongous head ache.

I have been through a windscreen, four ribs. As anybody that has nursed fractured ribs would know, very painful. Couldn’t laugh, fart, sneeze or cough for two and a half months.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 11:34:06 am by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

firko

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 12:22:47 pm »
Les's daughter Kara just rang to let me know how he was. Mick De has it pretty well covered with his reporting of Les's six broken ribs, a bruised lung and cuts and bruises. The only difference to Micks report is that Kara told me that Les also has a broken vertabrae. The doctors won't know much more until the swelling subsides so until then the poor buggers laid up and in the Morphine Magic Wonderland. I could hear him in the background passing on instructions to his daughter but she reckons he wasn't making a lot of sense. He'll hopefully be a lot more coherent in a day or two so hold off from calling him for the moment, until he's a bit more mobile and able to manipulate the 'phone.

From personal experience : 1st time was a rear drum torsion rod bolt fell out - Result ruined Brake backing plate and Brake actuating rod, Back wheel locked up and I was able to recover the bike before crashing out.
I had a similar experience back in 1992 (ironically, the same day GE was killed) when the torque arm on my DT1 from Hell snapped under hard braking at Pacific Park. The resulting crash found me with four broken ribs, a shattered elbow and loose front teeth and a broken nose. The lessons learned from my crash were many. First, no more open faced helmets, second, no more riding outside my safety/sanity zone. I was racing my A grader mate on his modern at the time. The third thing learned was not to chrome chassis or safety components. When we checked the torque arm we found that it had corroded from the inside by the acids used during the chroming process. The material was half the original thickness. I never really got over that crash both psychologically and physically.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:35:50 pm by firko »

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 12:33:39 pm »
Best wishes to Les and his family, for quick recoverary, take care From Dave Alsop.

Offline dkupf

• A-Grade
  • Kinka Beach Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 05:35:41 pm »
Wishing you a speedy recovery. Les. :) Darcy
I might not be winning,But I'll be grinning

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile