Author Topic: Holy crap  (Read 5661 times)

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
Holy crap
« on: July 14, 2010, 04:25:30 pm »
http://www.mxworksbike.com/1981_RC125M_photos.htm

I never knew this thing existed. Twin cylinder Rudi front wow :o.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Holy crap
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 04:49:55 pm »
http://www.mxworksbike.com/1981_RC125M_photos.htm

I never knew this thing existed. Twin cylinder Rudi front wow :o.

You have either been living in a cave or not buying your VMX magazines regularly enough  ;D

I am a big fan of funny front ends on bikes.... though mainly on road bikes.
formerly Marc.com

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 05:09:12 pm »
I think he means the 20000rpm twin engine-Holy shite it must have sounded great. and pulled like a schooly but probably had a light switch power band.

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 08:46:26 am »
The front end I have seen lots. But yes 20000rpm & a twin.

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 11:53:16 am »
I think Yamaha tried the twin thing back in the early to mid seventies but that's the 1st I've seen from Honda. Suzuki tried it earlier again in the late sixties too.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 11:57:35 am »
Featured in VMX a while ago. Very trick but banned by the FIM.
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 12:55:25 pm »
I have seen an Italian with a twin in GPs in the early eighties. Think Ancilete ( dont think thats spelt right).

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 12:56:25 pm »
Gotta love the factory transporter  ;D ;D ;D

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 01:21:17 pm »
I remember back in 77 or 78 when Anthony Gunter and Ivan Miller arrived at the Amaroo park Mr Motocross with their RM370s strapped into the back of 2 Suzuki Carry utes.

It must have been quite a struggle to get 2 x 370s into each Carry. And the way they negoitated the rocky terrain in the Amaroo park pits had the crowd in hysterics as the utes nearly toppled over end for end. The driver certainly had his BIG EYES on.

Ah, the life of the '70s Factory Rider!
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 04:10:44 pm »
A looong way from todays factory transporters!!
We had Carry utes at Mayfairs in those days-did my 1st night-run car rally in one-can I say that?-spose I can now ;D ;D ;D

lc4

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 06:32:39 pm »
Full factory works equipment and they secure the front shock resi with cable ties  ::)

DR

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 08:29:00 pm »
I've a little more imfo on this bike.. 20000 rpm seems a little exaggerated but not saying it wasn't or isn't possible as my little '89 honda CBR 250/4 I once owned would rev beyond an indicated 21000rpm..there was absolutely no power to be had anywhere in the rev range but it sure sounded like an F1 :D

This radical motocrosser from 1980 was the result of the Honda factory’s open chequebook—and a desperate desire to see off its rivals. Born in response to Gilera‘s twin cylinder motocross bike, the Honda RC125M Twin was nothing short of a beautifully engineered technological marvel. Producing a staggering 35 horespower at 13,000 rpm from a reed-valved and watercooled, 124.99cc motor, the red rocket brought a new meaning to the word ‘screamer’. That radical ‘Ribi’ front end was seen as a worthwhile experiment after Roger DeCoster achieved some success with the design aboard a factory Suzuki RN in 1978; when DeCoster switched teams, he introduced Valentino Ribi to Honda and they bought the rights, which they own to this day. The benefit of the system was a flex- and friction-free operation, coupled to a highly adjustable and variable rate of progression—similar in effect to modern-day rising rate rear suspension systems. The downside was the staggering cost of the 19 separate components, the difficulty in setting it up, the weight, and the fact that visually, it resembles a techno praying mantis. The bike debuted at Suzuka in 1980 with Kenji Sato aboard, and had further outings in 1981 before the FIM stepped in and banned twin-cylinder bikes from international competition. A single cylinder version of this bike—once more with a Ribi front end—won the 1981 All Japan 125cc Motocross Championship in the hands of Yasuo Tofukuji.

Article courtesy of Richard Fowler from Motorsport Retro

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 08:41:24 pm »
lc4 - they were factory cable ties though ;D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 08:53:20 am »
Thats what l call a facorty works bike. (Technology) Leading link forks are much better to ride with. What reason would FIM band a bike like that, l remember back in the sixties 1967 it was, my brother Dennis rode for Kawasaki Australia on his F21M and Kawasaki bought down from Melbourne a Kawasaki 90cc Factory race bike Scrambler for him to compete in the 125 class against Gary O`Brien and Geoff Taylor, Ray Fisher.(I still have the photo of the the 2 bikes together, and the stewart on the day wouldn`t let my brother race it because it was a melbourne bike. how DUMB is that. There was a ruling somewhere in the GCR stating that a factory bike could not be used in the western centre or any centre, something like that, anyway. On the day their was a big argumment, it may have been a Lyall O`brien ruling, because he was involved in the argument with the stawart and my brother also Allen Dune MANAGER FROM kAWASAKI. ANYWAY Red tape bullshit. and jealousy l would say.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:12:03 am by DAVID#46 »

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 10:18:35 am »
Thats what l call a facorty works bike. (Technology) Leading link forks are much better to ride with. What reason would FIM band a bike like that, l remember back in the sixties 1967 it was, my brother Dennis rode for Kawasaki Australia on his F21M and Kawasaki bought down from Melbourne a Kawasaki 90cc Factory race bike Scrambler for him to compete in the 125 class against Gary O`Brien and Geoff Taylor, Ray Fisher.(I still have the photo of the the 2 bikes together, and the stewart on the day wouldn`t let my brother race it because it was a melbourne bike. how DUMB is that. There was a ruling somewhere in the GCR stating that a factory bike could not be used in the western centre or any centre, something like that, anyway. On the day their was a big argumment, it may have been a Lyall O`brien ruling, because he was involved in the argument with the stawart and my brother also Allen Dune MANAGER FROM kAWASAKI. ANYWAY Red tape bullshit. and jealousy l would say.

Just goes to show that some things never really change…