Author Topic: Forgotten Era Road Racer returning to his dirty roots - what Yamaha 250 to buy?  (Read 12967 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Well there ya go! Yep, did race the RM, then sold it and bought an HL500 Yamaha, followed by a Husky CR500. Nowadays I have a TM125 and a 75 RM125. I don't think I'll race either at ACT MCC, the 125s would be far too slow up against the big bores in the Classic class. But I will hopefully get to the next practice day, see you there. And good to see you here on OzVMX.

By the way, fellow OzVMXers, Mark punts that TDR around a racetrack indecently quickly, much faster than you'd imagine...

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
thats why they call it the forgotten era, TDr - TZr  easy to forget :O)

More importantly whats the story with pussy ? He's come flying out to drag you back into the jungle ?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 09:29:58 am by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
More importantly whats the story with pussy ? He's come flying out to drag you back into the jungle ?
That's Lorris Cattarossi. He always gets playful when I get the bike out.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 07:23:41 am by mboddy »
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
After much investigation, I think I will get a YZ250 K or L model for Pre 85.
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Sounds like a good choice Mark. I've seen a few Ls racing and they seem to go real well. I was thinking of buying one a couple of years ago and in hindsight I wish I had've. Are you going to race any MX locally or with HEAVEN, or just do the dirt track? I'll try to give you a bell one evening through the week too.

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
Are you going to race any MX locally or with HEAVEN, or just do the dirt track?
I'll start with the Dirt Track meetings on the TDR starting with the ACT meeting in 2 weeks.
Once I have the YZ and it is race ready I'll race it MX on the Kumagutza.
Vinduro Penrite Team

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
Picked up a 1977 IT250D at the Goulburn swap meet yesterday.
I need to source some parts for it but I hope to take it to the ACTMCC Dirt Track in 2 weeks time.
Vinduro Penrite Team

Offline elsie 125

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
ACTMCC wont be running the dirt track set down for 3rd february, hopefully we can be underway in march

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
I was hoping to get to the dirt track practice today.
But as you can see by the pic I haven't got the IT ready yet.
Suspension, wheels, tyres and brakes are now done.

Vinduro Penrite Team

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Looking good Mark. Shame you missed practice today, we had fun. I think the first race day is set down for April.

gerpster

I went out to the DT early today just for a look see and a chat with Pat. Only had about an hour to spare but the track looked great. Am thinking that DT may better for the old body than all those MX lumps and bumps.     ::)
Any way the plan is to have the TS185 up and going by March/April and then I have to work on the PE250.    ;)

I do need tires so was wondering what's the best to get and where to get them from? Any chance of picking up some used ones as I don't expect I will be doing a huge amount on them first up? Where were yours from Mark?

Cheers,
Greg.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Would appear you have a endless supply of Lectrons tooo..................any spare needles ;D
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Shame we missed you Greg. I got there about 10.30 and the rest of the old bike boys about an hour later.

Tyres wise, you really need a Michelin or Mitas trials tyre for the rear, anything else is no fun at all. You could chase up a few of the local trials riders, they toss their tyres while there is still plenty of tread. But even buying new is not so bad. They are $180 or so, but you'll get years out of one on a TS or PE. For the front, most any decent knobby will work. I have a Kenda Trackmaster on my TM, but I really like the Kenda Carlsbad too.

You're right by the way. After one race at the MX track, I am totally rooted - red, sweating, drained, dehydrated, unable to speak, pulse at around 200 bpm... After 230 laps at the DT, I am still fresh as a daisy and ready for more...

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
Would appear you have a endless supply of Lectrons tooo..................any spare needles ;D
I've been collecting Lectrons since 1981 and have them fitted to many of my bikes.
I'll set up the 36mm Lectron on the IT and then after I rebuild the motor I'll convert to methanol.
What size rods are you looking for?

I do need tires so was wondering what's the best to get and where to get them from? Where were yours from Mark?
The rear Michelin came from Joes. Recommended by Graeme and many others.
The front Cheng Shin was fitted to the wheel I got from Nathan S.
I'll try the Kenda Carlsbad when I go to replace it.

Vinduro Penrite Team

Offline elsie 125

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Hi guys, thanks for coming 2 the practice day today, what a great fun day, hope 2 see you back soon mboddy.
 As for tyres or any help you may need with your bikes, tyres oil, tubes levers, hlmets, boots goggles, tearoffs etc, go and see aksel, at AXLE MOTORCYCLES in phillip.
 Aksel spent the day at the dirt track today making sure all the bikes were going ok.
 Spent a few hours fixing problems with one of the young guys late model RM250, and is a regular at the canberra dirt track, helping the riders, both at the track and at the shop.
 He also has a range of michelin, mitas, bridgeston, and dunlop radial 4.00 x 18 trials tyres in stock at all times, including kenda carlsbad fronts, and trust me, you wouldnt get a better price in town!!!
I got a bridgeston fitted of him last thursday for my sons modern CRF450, fitted for $120.00, the young fella reckoned it was a great tyre.
 So before you go chasing around, call over and see him, or give him a ring, tell him your members of the ACTMCC, and he will be only to happy to help you out.
 AXLE MOTORCYCLES, Dundas court Phillip A.C.T.  62820065