Author Topic: Cheney Yamaha almost finished.  (Read 10360 times)

firko

Re: Cheney Yamaha almost finished.
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 09:36:08 am »
so if you'd started a week earlier I could have ridden that as well??
Of course you could have Paul. The thing that shits me is that I've had the Cheney for 3 years and kept getting sidetracked by other projects. I'd made a start on my Maico Metisse project which took time that in retrospect I should have put into the Cheney. It was actually the condition of the nickel that stopped me at first, trying to decide whether to paint, renickel or just leave it. I'm glad I decided to keep the patina and just clean it up.
I prefer to keep the dull old nickel look a bit, especially for original nickel race bikes keeps the correct patina
Now that it's "restored" I'll let it dull a tad to an acceptable patina and maintain its old warhorse personna. Despite how she looks, this bike isn't going to be a garage queen. It's going to  replace my 350 Maico as my pre '70 entry and will be ridden by  a bloke who rides damn hard and is used to winning so it'll soon gain a whole new patina.

mainline

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 01:35:37 pm »
cool, bring on the next Classic Dirt then!

In hindsight I should have brought my YZ125 around for Jonesy to take for a spin. Would have been an "interesting" comparison for him ;D

With this sidecovers of yours, did you hand punch the louvres or have someone do it on a machine? Also, do you know of any small diy type beadrollers?

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 01:39:24 pm by mainline »

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 02:00:29 pm »
Peeling you can see the chro mo.....   hence why i ned to paint it or replate.

how far does the rear guard go ? it it a 5'' british front
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

firko

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 03:13:18 pm »
With this sidecovers of yours, did you hand punch the louvres or have someone do it on a machine? Also, do you know of any small diy type beadrollers?
I got a well known street rodder called Gary Rice to do them for me. I was about to borrow some dyes from another bloke when Gary was suggested to me. He did the lot for 40 bucks. I've got a small bead roller myself. It's been a very handy gizmo over the years.

ow far does the rear guard go ? it it a 5'' british front
Freaky....the rear fender is from an AJS Stormer and it's a perfect bolt up fit, using the AJS mounting bracket bolted to the original Cheney lug on the frame. It ends at the airbox under the seat. The front guard is a rare as shit aluminium GYT Yamaha DT1MX item. I had mentioned both of those facts in my original post, I guess you must have missed it. ::)

Offline dfisher

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 10:21:20 pm »
Mark,
Responding to your post on Mark's Swap meet, I looked at the official entry list for the 1973 ISDT in Dalton Mass.  There are no Cheney's listed but there are a few Yammies.  As in a previous ISDT it's possible the "Cheney" was omitted as with the Triumph team.  I have attached two pictures from the 1970's which based on the rear sprocket are two different machines.  These would have probably been taken in Ohio.  Good luck in your search for your beautiful machines heritage.

More Cheney on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=188377217547

Penton Owners Group - Membership
Facebook Cheney Twinshock Racing Group Administrator

firko

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 11:02:33 pm »
Thanks Dale......Wouldn't it be ironic if my Cheney is one of those two you posted?Of course it's doubtful we'll ever know but they're in the right part of the world!

I also think they're two different bikes. Besides the sprocket, the front fender,shocks and seat are different. I really wanted to anodize my tank its original red like that pair but I've grown on the bare aluminium look now. The disco ball in my garage reflects off it so well!

Did you ever get the piece on you Cheney Sachs organised with Ken?

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 08:40:38 am »
Has Cheney got cult status these days ????, post anything on Rickmans and nobody is interested :D
formerly Marc.com

Offline dfisher

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 12:04:47 pm »
There's just something unique about the Cheney.  Although beautiful in their own respect a Rickman with fiberglass looks like all other Rickman's regardless of the year.  My favorite is the British racing green.

Cheney on!

Penton Owners Group - Membership
Facebook Cheney Twinshock Racing Group Administrator

firko

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 12:48:05 pm »
That Cheney Sachs is nice little bike Dale...I even like the subtle use of Preston Petty products, including the now often overlooked fork protectors! ;D.
By coincidence I've got a Petty front fender mount with the sticker still proudly displayed on my own Cheney.
Have you got any more shots of Cheney DT1/RT1 bikes on file? Below is another I found. There was one for sale on eBay a couple of years ago and I thought I'd saved the photos but apparently I didn't. Also below is fellow OZVMX forum member Dave Macs Cheney Ducati 450.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 02:08:30 pm »
There's just something unique about the Cheney.  Although beautiful in their own respect a Rickman with fiberglass looks like all other Rickman's regardless of the year.  My favorite is the British racing green.

Cheney on!

theres something unique about every Cheney as they never built the same bike twice.

Rickmans in BRG are like Jags in BRG, kind of predictable, they look better in matt black.
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 02:29:12 pm »
Rickmans in BRG are like Jags in BRG, kind of predictable, they look better in matt black.
What about shiny black? This is my old Jag and she's for sale ;D.

I've got a thing for Metisse as well as Cheneys but if push came to shove and I had to choose one or the other I'm afraid it'd be a Cheney. I'm a bit over the usual colours Rickmans come in so my upcoming Maico Metisse will be yellow.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2010, 03:04:20 pm »
D fisher nice bike and photo.
cheney over metisse but then i just like my BSA Victor GP replica
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2010, 06:00:06 pm »
cool black XJ Firko, owning an oil well would come in handy when it is time to fill that baby up.
formerly Marc.com

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2010, 07:21:54 pm »
yellow metisse .come on Firko how about Maico purple or mustang pearl mauve/blue. Love Bindy
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

firko

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2010, 10:26:58 pm »
cool black XJ Firko
Yeah, thanks Marc but the white Walkinshaw is an infinitely better car. Here it is with Jonesys Muzzy at Eastern Creek.