Author Topic: Silencer Repair for Dummies  (Read 15139 times)

Ji Gantor

Silencer Repair for Dummies
« on: May 20, 2010, 11:12:22 am »
This topic is for dummies so all experts by experience or trade and/or including Google Sages would best spend their time on a more advanced level repair.

That said fellow Dummies lets get to it.

The attached image is of a typical Japanese two stroke silencer.
This model was welded up shut so no real way to service it.
By now the packing would be toast, via by oil, carbon or just blown out.
I could spend $150.00 and get a DG silencer but why not try and fix the old one.
First cut the end off and drill a few holes so we can attach a new end cap later.
Always wear gloves and a respirator when dealing with any/all fibres.

Ji

Ji Gantor

Re: Silencer Repair for Dummies
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 11:16:13 am »
With a pair of long nose pliers and a stiff length of wire remove all the packing and place into a plastic bag.
To stop fibres from blowing around wet the packing before removal.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 11:21:49 am »
When the packing has been removed and all the fibers have been sealed into a plastic bag spray degreaser into the silencer to clean.
Use  a metal scraper and removal all carbon build up.
The fine holes in the beginning of this silencer were clogged by carbon, packing and oil.
I used a 8mm rod with a E circlip on the end to free the blocked holes.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 11:30:07 am »
Measure the inside, out side and length of end pipe so we can start manufacturing a new aluminium end cap.

Ji

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 11:40:14 am »
Interesting...  Keep going  ;)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

mainline

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 09:22:25 pm »
Hey ji, what about cutting both ends of the silencer so you can slide the whole outer off to get at the core?  I'm just thinking that if you're going to the hassle of rejigging it to make it repackable, you might as well go the whole hog and make it easy to clean out.

Adding a stepped section to the stinger end for the muffler body to slide over would give you sdome to pop rivet to and seal things up.

Flux Capacitor, you need to change that avatar, it's freaking me out ;D

Ji Gantor

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 10:23:33 pm »
Hi Mainline,
Yes I could do that but it may not be in the spirit of VMX after all I would have to check back through every MX magazine of 1981 to find some reference to that happening. Also the fixing lug is on the steel tube section so that would have to be welded onto the new aluminium skin, thus that would be a lot more work than just making an end cap. I don't think this is nationals legal unless I can find a magazine clipping which by the way I am not looking for. This topic is just to show what I have done, what readers do or think is up to them, I am not trying to get anyone to do anything, or saying this is the only way to service a silencer.
If I do take this bike to another national which I doubt I have another stock silencer.
Is it not funny to think that I can not aluminium skin this silencer myself but I can buy an aluminium DG silencer that is totally legal.

If I can find another damaged silencer I will reskin it in aluminium as I purchased the materials today just in case.

Ji

mainline

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 10:41:24 pm »
alrighty then ;)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 10:42:44 pm »
Commercial welsh plugs make ideal end caps
Jesus only loves two strokes

Ji Gantor

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 10:44:22 pm »
Hi Lozza,
Have you found what horsepower or torque gain there is if the silencer works as designed.

Ji

firko

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 10:53:24 pm »
Is it not funny to think that I can not aluminium skin this silencer myself but I can buy an aluminium DG silencer that is totally legal.
I'll take the bait. What's to stop you reskinning in aluminium or to have both ends removable?

Ji Gantor

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 10:56:54 pm »
I thought you said that people can not just go making their own parts for their bikes unless it was done in the day.
Besides what are you doing here this is VMX for Dummies is that not what you wrote.
I thought you would have better things to do than slum it here.

Ji
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:59:24 pm by Ji Gantor »

firko

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 11:12:12 pm »
Still maintaining the rage Robert, that's good mate it shows you've got some spirit. Now down to business, where in the rulebook does it say that you can't make a muffler with alloy outer or removable ends? I'm not being argumentive, I'd just like you to enlarge on a statement that could send a wrong message to guys who build their own muffler. I admire your attempts to teach us the way to do it but you shouldn't rule out others suggestions because you've deemed it to be ilegal.
Give us something to work with here Robert.

Ji Gantor

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 11:22:02 pm »
Mark I am going to keep making my own parts for my bikes out of any material I can get my hands on despite what you say about the spirit of VMX.
The spirit is different to every person.
If it is not against the rules than it is legal in my book.
Where does it say in the rule book I can not make a brake pedal out of titanium.

But what is the point Mark, after all, to you any one that visits my topics is just a Dummy!

Why don't you go back to preaching about the spirit of vmx and what bikes you would like to have or Ebay finds that seems to be more your style than trying to help other members restore their bikes.

Ji

firko

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 11:27:19 pm »
OK, no problem Robert. I do however look forward to catching up with you at CD7 where we can discuss the spirit of VMX over a refreshing cup of tea and an iced vo-vo. ;D