Author Topic: bsa b44 smoke problem HELP  (Read 19405 times)

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: bsa b44 smoke problem HELP
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 03:28:13 pm »
  Heres a site if you go thru links -engine-oil pumps. there's a bit on wet sumping also NOS and hi -flow aftermarket pumps ,cheers

http://www.burtonbikebits.net/
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 03:31:02 pm by Huskibul »

Offline big mac

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 10:27:30 am »
ok this is the latest reseated the non return valve checked it with 3in1 oil so should be good with engine oil left overnight with sump off next to no oil in pan next morning. Started the motor ran for about 5 mins smoke still poured out then drained the sump got 150ml out, is this to much. as for the oil pump I will replace this with a b50 unit when I lay my hands on one.
Again thanks for your help this is driving me crazy. Rory

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 11:07:36 am »
Are you sure you have not got a score in the bore and that the rings are the right material for the bore?. Were the valve guides replaced? 150mls left sitting in the crankcase is about normal. There will be a little bit that sits in there.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline big mac

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 11:04:41 pm »
No scores in the bore am taking the whole top end over to the machinst who rebored it to check it all tomorrow valve guides were checked and seemed to be ok but now will be replaced as soon as new ones get here. I throught that the rings might be wrong so checked GP part numbers aginst the standard cast iron bored victor they were the same.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 06:45:10 am »
well bang goes the wet sumping theory, worth checking anyway in the process of elimination.

It sounds like it is sucking oil from some place rather than just leaking down, Crankshaft seals?, could it be picking up oil from the primary chain case. Plus of course the comment about valve stem bushes is also valid, it might be that.
formerly Marc.com

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 10:16:16 pm »
scraper ring upside down??, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline big mac

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 06:38:00 am »
After inspection by the machinist the best we could come up with is the rings had not beded in at all so now on the hunt for a new std set. ON a better note my B50 started first kick after the same rebuild treatment well if you dont count setting the timing out by 180 degrees, I blame myself for not reading the destructions on the new electronic ignition.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 08:50:13 am »
What brand is the piston/rings? Some of the ones from Taiwan 10 years ago had really crap rings that wouldnt not bed in I had that problem on Triumphs and a Norton single, but now they have cleaned up their act and the rings are a lot better. All the 'Genuine' Triumph 'Harris' Pistons sold in green boxes are all from Taiwan now. They grind off the logo inside but they are the same as the 'Emgo' and pistons sold in red boxes. I have had no problems with the Taiwanese pistons and rings now and its basically what you gotta use now as stocks of Hepolites have really dried up now.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline big mac

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 02:40:22 pm »
Piston is a Hepolite I dont like my chances of getting rings so I was thinking of a new JE piston.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 02:53:14 pm »
Piston is a Hepolite I dont like my chances of getting rings so I was thinking of a new JE piston.

JE Piston is the good stuff, owner is Harley guy and what he doesn't know about pistons for air cooled clunkers isn't worth thinking about.
formerly Marc.com

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 10:53:01 am »
not trying to run it in with too good an oil,(as your machinists suggest rings didn't bed down),try a basic cheapie running in oil 1st,i've experienced that problem with rebuilt big bore roadie fours,Penrite actually does a running in oil hth,mick
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 12:46:26 pm »
Well Heopolite is good. the only prob i ever had with on of those is that it was not cam ground.

dirtrumpy

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2010, 02:01:34 pm »
Ive just had the same problem on my 650 Triumph I've just rebuilt, continual smoke especially from the LH cylinder. After spending many hours checking for wet sumping, Head defects etc it was found the Cylinder had been bored slightly oval (will never use motor car machinists for motorcycle work again) and tapered top to bottom with only partial bedding in of the one piece oil ring.

A fresh bore, cast iron compression rings and 3 piece oil rings solved the probelm.

Mike

Offline bert

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2010, 02:34:20 pm »
As above. Use a 3 piece oil ring and the problem will be solved.

Offline big mac

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2010, 10:22:40 am »
Well back again still with no joy the new set of rings has had no effect still clouds of smoke. starting to think the liner that was put in may have some thing to do with it, or could it be that there is to much oil flowing through the crank out the big end and being thrown on to the cyclinder walls should there be a restrictor in the crank shaft like in some older engines. I am going to walk away from this now and prep my B50 & Triumph for CD7.