Author Topic: What Type Of Steel Are Maico Frames  (Read 32413 times)

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What Type Of Steel Are Maico Frames
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2010, 12:30:53 pm »
Thanks to this thread I now know that:

Firko uses SS welding rods while Ji doesn't.

NHRA governs drag racing,

GMC is a legend, thanks to Les for his samples,

about picking up Ji's wife,

his boat prep,

Ji likes to fall asleep after dinner,

he likes fish and chips,

that the world needs a magazine that quotes frame materials and construction methods down to welding rod spec and heat treating times,

Firko thinks that Ji is funny,

that GMC should be charging $10,000.00 for one of his frames,

new boats don't come pre-delivered,

VMX magazine is now OK,

Maico Girl is humourus,

that there is now another Ji Gantor on the forum,

Jesus likes hand guns but can't dive

Maico riders like to have their mudguard brackets repaired,

Walter machines fishing reels and Ji loves fishing

Rick is a great bloke… etc, etc, etc and etc

But where, oh where, is the chemical analysis and subsequent confirmation of the actual Maico frame material from 73 and 75.

I can't have missed it, not with such a logical and straightforward thread like this one. Please if there is an answer out there, can we have it so we can get on with life.

Yours in frustration,
VMX42

P.S. and one last thing. Good to see that this thread hasn't wandered from the original intention, because if it did I would have to take my bat and ball and go home!!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 12:36:57 pm by vmx42 »
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

All Things 414

« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2010, 12:49:36 pm »
:D  :D All of the above (especially how to pick up Ji's wife)

You couldn't give me a Maico now that I know their frames break all the time!  :o

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2010, 12:56:32 pm »
You couldn't give me a Maico now that I know their frames break all the time!  :o

Bugger!! The secret is out… ::)
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Offline HuskyPete

• A-Grade
  • Huskys Only, maybe a CCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2010, 01:01:51 pm »
Free of charge ie no $10.00 fee. Feel free to copy & paste :o :o ;D
Just so you Husky guys don't feel left out.
This is what maico should have in their manuals. ;)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:40:38 pm by 67Husky »
1967 360 Viking, 1969 360 Cross, 1974 250 Mag x 3, 1974 400 Cross x 1, 1974 450 WR, 1975 250GP, 1976 250 WR, 1978 390 Auto, 1982.5 500 Gold Bullet. 1976 390 OR, 78 CCM

Ji Gantor

« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2010, 01:03:58 pm »
Great addition 67Husky.
Very helpful mate thanks.

Ji

firko

« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2010, 01:46:03 pm »

Thanks to this thread I now know that..........Yours in frustration,
VMX42

;D ;D ;D for all in between the above. Solid gold. ;D ;D It seems that thread deviations are OK if it's about fishing or boats. Funny that.
And lastly, one thing that has been nagging at me from the start… just how many Maico frames have been breaking? Is there a sudden epidemic or just the odd failure. I don't remember hearing of a sudden plague of cracked/broken Maicos that need to be welded.
Since 1970 there hasn't been a single minute where I haven't owned at least one Maico. At one stage I owned about 14 and right now own four. In that time I've only experienced two frame failures that required any major repairs. One was to replace a rear subframe on my '74 440 that snapped off in a loopout, the other was to repair broken engine mounts on the same frame that had broken off because a previous owner hadn't kept them tight. If you don't regularly tighten engine mounts, especially on a 440 vibrator, you are destined for a frame failure.

99% of Maico frame failure is caused by the lack of engine mount maintenence, especially something most Maico newbies invariably overlook, the mount under the engine. Forget that and your bike will eventually shake itself to bits.

The only other frame drama Ive seen was the rash of frames that had snapped at the steering head in and around 1974/5. This "epedemic" was indirectly caused by the release of the 'LTR' in 1974. When that was released all earlier Maicos became redundant so, to keep their bikes current many Maico owners "LTR'd" their frames. All very simple, just move the top and lower mounts forward 6", modify the frame and airbox and Voila!..instant LTR. Unfortunately the fly in the ointement was that the slight change in geometry put some extra load on the steering head, a fact that Wheelsmith and the factory had noticed and had beefed the gusseting in that area. Unfortunately many racers didn't bother with the extra gussetting with the result being the (very occasional) occurence of frames snapping in two at the steering head. The most famous of those was Steve Adcocks steering head and forks parting company with the rest of his Maico upon landing on the main straight jump during the 1974 Mr Motocross series at Amaroo Park. I witnessed two other occurences of that happening, (Bob Church, again at Amaroo,same jump and an unknown rider at Jilliby Park, both in 1974.)

Other than that little glut of frame failures, Maico frames have been amongst the sturdiest I've seen if those pesky engine mounts are kept tight. The Maico Breako tag is just bullshit authored by guys who let the maintenence slip and paid the inevitible price. Maicos are as solid as a Vanguard Spacemaster Deluxe. :D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 04:31:20 pm by firko »

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2010, 02:09:29 pm »
So I now know what Husky frames are made from and which welding rod to use. One post, simple answer as I would expect from Pete.

But I still don't know what Maico frames are made from which is now twice as annoying as I now have the Husky material as a reference point for comparison…

Please Ji, put us out of our misery. Haven't we suffered enough…?  ???  ???  ???

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2010, 02:31:22 pm »
…the most famous of those was Graeme Aldridges steering head and forks parting company with the rest of his Maico upon landing on the main straight jump during the 1974 Mr Motocross series at Amaroo Park.

You wouldn't happen to know what kind of welding rod he used would you?

Sorry, I know I shouldn't have. I feel dirty for asking, but I am easily amused. It won't happen again [till next time]. Sorry again in advance!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 02:34:19 pm by vmx42 »

firko

« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2010, 02:55:36 pm »
Jeff...Don't you realise that the information is "a significant moment in MX history and should not be rushed"? Jis's using the old showbiz trick of building the audience to a height of excitement and to hold them there for as long as possible before hitting 'em with the punchline.
A bit like sex actually.

Husky Pete got it in one short post. A bit like a quicky in the backseat of the FJ. ;)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 02:57:20 pm by firko »

Offline HuskyPete

• A-Grade
  • Huskys Only, maybe a CCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2010, 03:11:06 pm »
Showing may age, but there was the odd occasion when i had a quickie on the backseat of a fj  ;D ;D ;D
1967 360 Viking, 1969 360 Cross, 1974 250 Mag x 3, 1974 400 Cross x 1, 1974 450 WR, 1975 250GP, 1976 250 WR, 1978 390 Auto, 1982.5 500 Gold Bullet. 1976 390 OR, 78 CCM

Ji Gantor

« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2010, 03:16:21 pm »
Isn't that what female welders get at the end of the month?

Ji

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2010, 03:19:15 pm »
 The most famous of those was Graeme Aldridges steering head and forks parting company with the rest of his Maico upon landing on the main straight jump during the 1974 Mr Motocross series at Amaroo Park. I witnessed two other occurences of that happening, (Bob Church, again at Amaroo,same jump and an unknown rider at Jilliby Park, both in 1974.)

Hey Firko,

I thought that was Steve Adcock at Mr MX at Amaroo

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2010, 03:34:16 pm »
Is that a goober on that Husky manual under the rear frame loop   :o :o - what is the composition of that Husky Pete ??
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2010, 03:38:06 pm »
Is that a goober on that Husky manual under the rear frame loop   :o :o - what is the composition of that Husky Pete ??

And how do you weld it?

shoey

« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2010, 03:51:52 pm »
With a welding machine Jeff.