Author Topic: Andrew Macfarlane  (Read 17610 times)

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Macfarlane
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 03:24:12 pm »
Sad news indeed, Sharky never came across as 1 of the self obsessed types that seem to think we should all be worshipping them like a lot of current riders
RIP, the world will be poorer for your passing

All Things 414

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 04:16:46 pm »
Very sad news.  :(

DR

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 04:33:10 pm »
My sympathy to all involved. Godspeed Andrew.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 04:39:45 pm »
WE all dread these tragedies. Thankyou for the memories Andrew
Brings back equally sad memories of JP
Such terrible loss
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 04:46:28 pm by JC »

ride red

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 06:20:37 pm »
a true legend of our sport , on and off the track . showed the world how to do it in 2000 . get a kx 250, put a kx 500 motor in it , put Andrew Mcfarlane on it , and just let some of the best riders in the world try and catch him . they never had a chance . RIP sharky .

mx250

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 07:20:57 pm »
A great tragedy.  My thoughts are with his friends and family. RIP Andew, and thanks for the great memories you gave us.

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 07:24:19 pm »
oh my god i met him at stanmore like a month ago
rest in peace buddy

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 07:29:44 pm »
You are and always will be a fantastic Australian Ambassador.
Heart felt sympathy to family and friends.
Best is in the West !!

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 07:48:31 pm »

R.I.P Sharky #88
A photo taken by mum at  world gp in 2000 at Broadford
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 08:05:25 pm »
His last interview, filmed yesterday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC8LfihnbGk

He did some fast laps before he came off, the place obviously suited him.  He had posted 4th fastest time.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 08:38:23 pm »
Andrew McFarlane
10 years after making his World Motocross GP debut at Broadford, Victoria, JDR Motorex KTM rider, Andrew McFarlane, will return to the State Motorcycle Sports Complex on 2 May for the third round of the 2010 Rockstar Energy Drink MX Nationals.

Scoring a wildcard ride at the World MX GP round held at Broadford in 2000, McFarlane put the field of experienced World Championship riders on notice leading for the majority of the race before finishing in third place.

Having secured an international factory ride, the Brisbane local then spent a year based in Italy, riding the World MX GP Circuit before returning to Australia for the Broadford GP round in 2001, this time going one better and placing second to 10 times World Champion, Stefan Everts.

Although currently placed fifth in the 2010 Rockstar Energy Drink MX Nationals, McFarlane is looking forward to returning to the Broadford circuit.

“I’m really looking forward to the next round but I’m interested to see how the circuit will run in reverse!”  McFarlane said.

“Tracks are usually designed with one direction in mind so I’m interested to see how it works.

“I haven’t won a race this season yet, however I’m still in the points chase and I feel confident that I’ll be up on the podium soon.

“Riding the two World GP rounds at Broadford was an amazing experience – having a World GP event in your home country was phenomenal and became the most amazing opportunity for me to race at the next level.”

After carving up tracks on two wheels for more than 27 years, 2010 looks set to be McFarlane’s last year as a competitive racer, with the KTM rider keen to step back and help guide and develop younger riders and share his experiences with them.

“I’d always had a dream to race for a World Championship and the Broadford GP gave me that opportunity,” he said.

“I’ve been very fortunate in my career – I’ve raced in Russia, all over Europe, Japan, and the Unites States, it’s been an awesome experience and after 27 years I have a lot of knowledge and experience to share.

“It’s great to see the younger guys stepping up – they are probably a bit more fearless in their riding style whereas I know my limits now!

“It was funny when I realised I’d been riding a bike well before some of these guys were even born!  – At the first round this year I had ‘27 years’ written on my pants and my teammate Tye Simmonds asked me what it meant.

“I explained what it was and his response was ‘Dude!  You’ve been riding longer than I’ve been alive!’, now whenever he sees me he says ‘hey old man’ so now I call him ‘young pup’ but there’s a lot of respect there.

“It’ll definitely be the end of an era when I hang the boots up but I’m happy with the career I’ve had.”
Best is in the West !!

Offline mudguard

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2010, 08:45:04 pm »
OMG. Just heard the terrible news, and could only mumble, "no way, no way, no way". Our sport has lost an ambassador who showed the world the Aussie spirit. Condolences go out to Andrew's family & friends. Rest in Peace in MX Heaven Sharky.
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2010, 08:51:32 pm »
i was fortunate enough to be helping out one of the regular pro lites riders in the late 90's/early 00's, and would talk to Andrew McFarlane and his father regularly at the track or motels where we stayed. Always honest, never pretentious,  and very hard working are the memories i have of him. i can still remember him pitting out of his van, working on his semi privateer Yamahas with only his fahers help,battling every week -both sx and mx-with the likes of Ando, Chad, Burner, Cam Taylor and Shane Metcalfe to name but a  few.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

PB20

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2010, 09:21:40 pm »
Sharky cross rutted a takeoff and went in head first 3rd or 4th gear wfo head injury, possibly dead on impact.

He had 5 races to go before moving into team management...unbelievable.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=12368784&id=770850483#!/group.php?gid=115452015155550

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2010, 09:49:42 pm »
Like many others here I will never forget his spine chilling performance at Broadford in 2000 against the worlds best. My hair stood on end that day and was so proud of this aussie and proud to be an aussie. Such tragic tragic news, and with retirement so close and to survive unscathed after such a great career in a dangerous sport its just doesn't seem fair to lose his life on a relative safe track. Condolences to his his family and friends, R.I.P. Andrew.