Author Topic: Anyone been to Ayres Rock in recent times?  (Read 2176 times)

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
Anyone been to Ayres Rock in recent times?
« on: April 26, 2010, 06:58:06 pm »
or Uluru perhaps....still Ayres Rock to me.
Going up there next month, climbed it 30 years ago, but the wife hasn't yet. So can you still go up it? do you have to pay if you do? will it offend anyone?
Put me out of my misery. :D

TT

Re: Anyone been to Ayres Rock in recent times?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 07:06:38 pm »
Still Ayers Rock to me too, mx.  :D
It's been a couple years since I've been there and I honestly can't remember what they were charging to "get in".  ::)
Might have been around 20 bucks??
At the same time, there was a sign asking you not to climb it, but they weren't stopping anyone.

I've got mixed feelings about it all.
edit: perhaps I'd better not comment on that...........  :-\

Whether you choose to climb or not, I really enjoy the place, when there isn't too many 'bloody toourists' around.  :D

Another edit: Make sure you cruise through the Olgas too........... sorry, Kata Tjuta...........  ;)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 07:21:44 pm »
We climbed it in 89,cost money/tickets/parks pass- gave them to people over west side of border on the way out to re-use.
Get a good tan up before you go and tell em Uncle Morton sent for you for secret men's business.  ;D
Don't buy grog from their, way over the top on the price.. >:(

quote:Ayers Rock is 348 metres high (that's a 95 story building). The climbing path is about 1.6 km long and can be treacherous. The first part has a chain to hold on to.

It is a very strenuous climb (most of the over 35 deaths at Ayers Rock were due to heart attacks) and takes about two hours to complete. If you are fit I'd say half an hour up, half an hour across the top, some time spent up there and the way down.

If you aren't fit you shouldn't even consider it. (That challenge is one of the reasons so many people cannot resist climbing Ayers Rock.)

The Ayers Rock climb is often closed because of strong winds or high temperatures. If your main reason for visiting Ayers Rock is climbing then you may end up very disappointed...

The reports of people who climbed Uluru are mixed. Many say it's not worth it, and that the views are boring since you're standing on the only point of interest in an otherwise featureless landscape (except for the nearby Olgas/Kata Tjuta). See the short video (not mine) filmed from the top:
Best is in the West !!

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 09:35:47 pm »
If you go there climb it, we all own it, don't forget who pays the tax!
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 12:42:30 pm »
Just make sure your in resonable health.A 54 yr old bloke died there on the weekend of a heart attack.

Curly3

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 03:45:23 pm »
My wife & I also climbed it in 89, it 's a pretty tough climb and in a few sections if you go out of arms reach of the chain you're a goner. If the weather is good and the climb is open I'd do it for sure, despite what some opinions are the view is fantastic.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 04:11:11 pm »
Loved the climb and the views, once you're past "chicken rock" it's a cinch, although the girl I was with came down the last bit on her arse as she was too scared to stand up. We told the english girl with us, who was too scared to attempt it, that there was a pub on the top, she made it after that. Do it for sure.
Cheers,
K

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 07:31:44 pm »
Thanks all! I honestly don't remember it being so hard..... way back then at least?

I do remember a Japanese guy there went up just before I did, he didn't want to leave his treadly unattended so he had his backpack on and the bike on his shoulder for his trip up! Thought about trying to better that by hoofing the XL500 up on my back.......a very quick thought mind you. ::)

Curly3

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 07:48:45 pm »
I seem to recall that in either the late 60's or early 70's some guy rode a trials bike up there. Anyone else remember, Firko?

mc 61

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 07:23:15 pm »
My Daughter went up late last year on a school trip, they got to Ayres Rock to be confronted by a closed sign ???(not weather related). Not always open to climb as it was. Climb it if you can worth the effort!!

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 09:22:55 pm »
they got to Ayres Rock to be confronted by a closed sign (not weather related). Not always open to climb as it was.
That sucks! Maybe we're not paying enough rent?

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 09:58:36 pm »
I seem to recall that in either the late 60's or early 70's some guy rode a trials bike up there. Anyone else remember, Firko?

I met a guy up here about 15 years ago who claimed it was a mate of his rode up the rock. He said it was a Hodaka (or Honda, can't really recall) 125 with a very lengthened swingarm. They got up but hadn't counted on the brakes overheating on the way down.
Having said that I do stand to be corrected
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:17:30 pm by brent j »
The older I get, the faster I was