Author Topic: The ultimate yamaha  (Read 8230 times)

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
Re: The ultimate yamaha
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 02:50:54 pm »
The bike is a highly modified YZ250G.

No it is not legal by Australian rules because of the rule 18.6.0.1 and under rule 18.6.0.3 it would possilby be to hard to prove that it is a replica of an OW Yamaha.

Rule 18.6.0.1 is a tough rule though, when a bike is manufactured without a spocket cover on the motor and you have to add one  ;)
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

mainline

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 02:57:42 pm »
Wow, what an awesome bit of gear. I'd love to hear some more info about it DJ. Is it based on a factory bike or prototype? or just what the guy would have liked his works bike to be. The workmanship on it looks unbelievable, some serious hours in it i'd imagine.

Tell him not to scratch it too much until VMX mag have done a feature on it.

I reckon rules only come into it if you're racing for trophies. Whether it is legal at a champonship though is a legitimate question I suppose.

In a similar vein, I was talking to some guys at the track the other day about hand/thumb operated rear brakes. There was a version on New Inventors a little while back, and Mick Doohan famously started using one after his leg was mangled. Just wondered whether if you rigged something up yourself, there'd be any sort of problem, given that it is in no way standard.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 03:22:03 pm »
In a similar vein, I was talking to some guys at the track the other day about hand/thumb operated rear brakes.

http://www.clake.com.au/

If that is all made by the owner, then someone has access to some very state of the art pattern making, casting and machining equipment. Look at the quality of the clutch cover, unless it is a late model water cooled bottom end that has been converted to be water cooled. Very very nice, with the barrell being the least of the mods and work.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 03:27:31 pm by Bahnsy »
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

mainline

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 03:28:40 pm »
unfortunately at $1200 bucks it's probably worth more than the bike ;D and it doesn't work on drum brakes.

Sorry for the hijack DJ, maybe I should move this on to another thread.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 03:52:32 pm »
The guy who made and races the bike just looked at as many photos of OW's he could and made his own. He is very skilled at what he does as you can see, he is a private kind of guy and doesnt like to much fuss so I/we should be just happy to see the bike and how it goes.
Engine cases and billet ali stator cover were sandblasted with 80grit to get the look of sandcasting and I believe he made his own side number boards. As for alot of what he has done I'm not sure since he was just about to go out in his next race I didnt get much of a chance to talk with him. But I thought a few guys on here would like to see the pictures I took of his bike.

I reckon rules only come into it if you're racing for trophies. Whether it is legal at a champonship though is a legitimate question I suppose.

Ok if you must know, then YES it is eligible to race for and win trophies, championships and any other prizes that are put up in claases like Pre81, Evo, Twinshock 250.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 07:06:00 pm »
Is their actually a power valve lurking in that cylinder, or is it just a dummy cover ??

Either way what great bike...and a great track.
Any chance of a heads up when it rolls around next year.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 07:08:56 pm »
The powervalve is real and works

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 07:13:53 pm »
That would be the same chap with the trick '74 CZ with all the billet stuff on it?

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 07:15:26 pm »
It is Brad and as you know he does a nice job.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 08:10:47 pm »
Didnt he cast his own hubs up in magnesium DJ?
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

TM BILL

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 05:29:31 am »
yep  ;) A very talented man and a bloody nice bloke to :) But best of all he races the bike and generally puts it at the pointy end of the field  :)

The Craftmanship that has gone into the build is amazing , it really is a very cool Bike  8)

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 08:25:29 pm »
There should be a master engineers class in oz for that type of kit, I am very impressed with this guys style of wizardry. Don't you think the initials are a nice touch, I would be proud to put my name to work like that too!
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 08:35:24 pm »
He could sell those right hand footpeg brackets commercially and make a packet  8)  The shaft wears and makes the brake lever floppier than a ......  very floppy thing  ::)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 08:53:17 pm »
Very nice work for sure ;)the same guys cz was in one of the vmx issues done in black and all made hubs and frame very nice ::)
another smart kiwi bro 8)

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 09:02:16 pm »
I am working on a fix for that floppy syndrome you mention 'H, I figure on turning down the shaft until it is round again and making a press on sleeve to restore the dimensions. Mind you, if these mounts were made available there would certainly be a lot of happy F,G,H & J owners. Just out of interest, I have noticed a minor evolution in the design for the 4 consecutive models - it goes like this.

250 F & G same part

H & J interchangeable with predecessors but lack the bracing across the top (different peg bracket made cheaper and lighter)

J is a dead ringer for the H but has a hole drilled through the back of the peg bracket to save F.A weight

I reckon with the intro of watercooling and the added weight associated with that design, Yamaha engineers must have offered bonuses to any staff who could suggest ideas to save a gram without going exotic with the materials.
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."