Author Topic: vic eastwood tank  (Read 5127 times)

firko

Re: vic eastwood tank
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 11:25:06 am »
I spent a bit of time with Jim Scaysbrook on Saturday and the conversation got around to the 350 Maico Paul recently sold to Dave Mac. He sparked up when I told him the bike still existed and in fact had just changed hands and will soon hit the track. While the bike was owned and originally raced by Blair Harley, Jim rode it for most of its early career and reckoned that it was one of the best Maicos he ever rode. Like everyone who's ever owned or raced one he reckoned that 350s are unique and a step ahead of all the other square barrels and reckons he's rather race one than a 400 or 440 radial. When I told him of mine, Mick Hockleys and Daves bike having running engine numbers he recalled seeing all "four or five" 350s in Blairs garage (he operated out of home at that stage) and blair picking the orange one. Is that bike originally orange? Mine was red as was Mick Hockleys but mine only remained red for as long as it took me to replace the guards and paint the tank yellow.

I think it'd be a cool thing to do a magazine article mapping out the directions the three bikes took after they left the factory together. It's amazing that all three bikes still survive in great condition and all three show the little quirks that individual ownership has bestowed on them over the last 40 years. Once I've rebuilt my sadly blown engine (bigend) I'll try and arrange a photo shoot with all three bikes. I reckon there's a great yarn in there.

Paul, why did you have to move the fuel taps if the tank had originally been on the 350? I had a Vic Eastwood tank on my '74 440 and I occasionally fitted the tank to the 350 with no clearance problems at all.

ps..I've got an alloy airbox as well. It's been in my 350 since about 1972., I made it as a foreign order at work. The welding's ordinary but that was my standard at the time. I could go over it and make it all pretty but then that little bit of its history wouldn't be as correct as it was with the dodgy welding.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 11:36:11 am by firko »

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 11:53:57 am »
firko  the bike was orange  .and the tank came with the bike but when i fitted it the fuel taps hit the head badly  so i had them noved back a little bit

suzuki43

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 11:54:26 am »
Now that is a cool story.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 01:16:33 pm »
i think dave should count him self very lucky because if time and circumstance,s were different then it would still be here in mexico ::)

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 10:57:26 am »

Hi Paul.

Yep, VERY LUCKY indeed mate and all thanks to you.

The airbox is for a narrow frame and apart from a small crack quite a nice bit of gear but I know where Firko is coming from with his and don't blame you for one minute leaving it as you made it all those years back - that bike of yours is a cool old war horse!!!

The history of the 350 I got sounds very interesting Mark and it would be good to see it in a line up with the two other survivors - I bet the guy who Paul bought the booty from had no idea of it's potential importance, that's for sure! He got the money - I got the GOLD !!! Just let me know when you want it and we'll work something out.

I'm going to see about getting the correct Akront mud catcher alloy rim for it eventually and keep the other one for short circuit.

Dave Mac  :) :D ;D ;)
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 11:09:22 am »
dont forget the front rim has a crack near the akront sticker need to be repaired

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 12:56:11 pm »

Thanks for the reminder Paul.

I've got a spare for that one so all good.

Probably get the other one welded too as a spare.

Dave Mac  :)
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted