Author Topic: claiming a works bike  (Read 6305 times)

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
claiming a works bike
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:27:46 pm »
i remember reading about a guy in the usa that tryed to claim  or buy a works bike back in the late 70s or early 80s   im sure it was a works yamaha anyone know this story there was some rule about doing this

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: claiming a works bike
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 09:38:00 pm »
Yes heres a story (s) in MXA John Roed### someone claim Marty Tripes Honda I think.

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 09:38:42 pm »
MUGEN power

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 10:03:52 pm »
Yeah John Roeder claimed Marty Tripes '79 works RC250 Honda and it sat in a storage shed until a few years ago when Scott Steger from The Vintage Factory tracked it down and bought it from Roeder.
It now belongs to Terry Good from mxworksbike.

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 10:11:58 pm »
Here's the bike in question...  ;)

Some other famous bikes in the background...  :o

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 10:20:24 pm »
That's her.. I'd kill to get just one of those, let alone the whole collection!

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 11:11:35 pm »
Was also done in the very early 70's an American claimed a works Triumph Trident(still has it), a privateer also claimed a set of Mat Mladin's works forks, which the mechanics ruined before they handed them over. Funnily enough the claiming rules were dropped after these instances.
There was a whole heap of hoops you had to jump through, the claimee could counter, you had to have bank cheques, there was a 30in window etc etc. The whole claiming thing is basicaly a crock of shit
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 08:14:52 am »
1977 I think Marty Smiths 125? But failed.

mx250

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 08:21:30 am »
The whole claiming thing is basicaly a crock of shit
Wasn't there specualation to do it in Moto2?

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 06:39:21 pm »
thanks guys for you help

mainline

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 07:50:11 pm »
There's a good article in an MXA from around the time. I can dig it out and scan it if you need more info.

Basically the AMA's idea was that allowing a privateer to claim a works bike would stop the factories building unobtanium bikes and level the playing field somewhat. There were set prices (way above what a stocker would have been selling for at the time) for bikes in each class 125, 250, and Open, and you could claim, I think, one of the top three placing bikes in a race. You had to make your claim within a set time from the finish of the race, 30 minutes?

You and any other claimant would then put your bank cheque into a hat and one would be drawn out. The factory team managers tried to get around this by carrying around their own wad of bank cheques, and if a privateer claimed a particular bike, every other team would throw a cheque in the hat to lessen the chance of a privateer winning the ballot. The understanding between the teams being that they would obviously not take an opposition's works bike, they'd just hand it back.

The problem was when a privateer actually won a works bike, all the factory teams threatened to withdraw from the series and the AMA basically put the whole idea on hold indefinately. Never to be seen again ;D

I think the idea had merit back in the day when technology was changing so fast, probably less so now when there's so much you can do suspension-tuning wise to a stock bike, and they're so good out of the box.

mx250

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 08:00:30 pm »
It wasn't just MX, I think it was a AMA GCR type rule. I haven't heard the 'cheque in the hat' trick. What I heard was someone in the team was designated to 'buy/claim' the bike immediately after a race with a bank cheque. My understanding was first in best dress. May be there were variations.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 09:11:13 pm »
I agree with Mainy - in the MX series the cheque in the hat trick was what was used and yes after the first near miss all the teams got together to "change the odds" in their favour by all in.

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 11:02:49 pm »
The whole claiming thing is basicaly a crock of shit
Wasn't there specualation to do it in Moto2?

There will be a Claiming Teams Rule in 2012 for the 1000cc bikes foe certain teams, it's so complex even had me confused and bored shitless. Mainline has it pretty much nailed, the fellow who claimed the Trumpy did it in the last 5 mins and had his mate bail up the bloke who had to deal with the claim just to make sure he didn't go AWOL, then had 2 people talking at him and unable to warn anyone. The Triumph team manager had a hard time explaining to Medirdan HQ some upstart had 'claimed' their bike and it would not be returning to the UK. Factory pressure crushed it dead flat.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 07:33:19 pm »
yes mainline i would be intrested in reading that article from mxa if you still have it thanks