Author Topic: Bruce "Magoo" McFarland.  (Read 22401 times)

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce "Magoo" McFarland.
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2010, 10:16:22 pm »
Mate you once told me after I made the trophy for Ray that the crawford river classic was full of trophies for dead guys . well mate Im going to make one for you now. Just a quick story on Magoo's sence of fun .He came limping into the pub when asked what he had done . He launched into a story about running 2nd in the thumper nats and twisted his foot in a corner, found out later he caught his foot on the screen door at home .always good for a good yarn.miss you mate .
thoughts to the family
IAIN & MARGARET CAMERON
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:29:15 pm by iainyz »
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline deepsmada

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2010, 08:00:57 am »
I never got the chance to ride with Bruce but I certainly shared a few beers with him, The storys where always good, his bike's imaculate and most importantly a damn good bloke!
See ya on the other side.
All my best to Anne and the kids.
Speedy. :D

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2010, 10:04:19 am »
Sweet is the sleep that ends all pain....RIP Magoo.

Condolences to the McFarland family
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

Offline RED ALERT

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2010, 12:25:47 pm »
R.I.P Bruce and congratulations on a life well lived.

mx250

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2010, 12:49:40 pm »
R.I.P Bruce and congratulations on a life well lived.
I only ever meet Magoo as part of this forum and hence I feel a bit of an intruder on this thread. However, I like RED's sentiments as expressed above and would like to echo those and offer my condolences to his family and friends.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2010, 02:02:28 pm »
Sleep  Bruce now peacefully between racing your Hondas above. Tim Derrick
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

firko

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2010, 06:39:19 pm »
MAGOOS FAREWELL

Bruce’s funeral will be held at 2:30pm Monday 1st March at Forest Lawn, Leppington NSW
Let's see an old mate out in style.

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2010, 07:13:10 pm »
from everyone at farleigh castle,  we will raise a drink for him in september.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2010, 10:16:34 pm »
I remember in my earlydays in the VMX scene the name Bruce McFarland as like a myth or a legend to me .I dont know how many time's his name was mentioned or people asked me if I knew him.In the end I just answered "yer I know him sort of.I never meet him but I know about him" which it seemed I did  -alot.By the time I actually met him at CD4 it was like being reunited with an old friend.By that stage we had talked a few times on the phone but never really seen each other in real life .Funny as Doc's earlier post I finally met him in a similar fashion.We walked by each other and took a second look , about the same time that I said Bruce? he said Brent? and then in unison "yer,how ya goin?" shook hands and started raving on for a bit until someone else grabbed his attentions.At CD5 he was first on my little list of people to catch up with (mainly about Hondas and Mugens) but once again  our time was too short .I guess when you know just about everyone in the scene like Bruce did then you thats how it is.
I can't think of too many who are as invovled in our VMX scene as Bruce was , seemed like he was everywhere all the time.Involved in organising, competing , restoring, in business with his website,on the forum  and just having a good time with the Boys (and Girls).
I had hoped to line up against him at Broadford but he's gone and jumped the gate , taken the holeshot and reached the chequered flag way too early.God speed Bruce.
Condolences to his wife,daughters and extended family.
I hope the VMX community will support the "Magoo Fund" with as much enthusiasm as he supported VMX.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 10:20:20 pm by motomaniac »

Offline DR500

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2010, 11:23:14 pm »
I Met Bruce only once at Conondale,but what a great bloke.You will be missed by all.RIP mate.
  Tony & Tanya

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2010, 07:44:15 am »
…but he's gone and jumped the gate , taken the holeshot and reached the chequered flag way too early.God speed Bruce.

Brent, that really sums it up!!!
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2010, 05:26:43 pm »
Like as has been said, he's jumped the gate and got the cheqered flag too soon. I knew the first time i spoke to him as a fellow committee member [classic dirt] that he was a keen knowledgeable bloke who would be a good mate to all around him, i'm saddened to to realise that friendship was cut short. R.I.P. magoo. My sympathy to his loved ones.  wally.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Mark Austin

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2010, 09:14:03 pm »
Here's a few photos of my mate Bruce, "the Honda loving nancy boy"... - its going to be a bit lonely on my birthday this year... (we shared the same birthday).

Godspeed Brucie.

kevwrx

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2010, 09:50:43 pm »
Stunned

RIP Bruce

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2010, 10:05:38 pm »
i like many others only met Bruce a few times and spoke over the Phone a few other times. when i first met him in a Pub for a counter attack down here in vicco, i immediately sensed his spirit, passion and humour. we sat next to each other after a quick chat and spoke like old friends. Bruce was like that, a very easy going likeable Aussie character.

like many others have related he simply was a person who made you at ease and you warmed to straight away. he was a very likeable person and i know he had many friends. i just wish (like many others) that i had the chance to share more time with him and envy those that did.

The Photo's Firko and Auscobul have posted up show the man as we all remember him full of life and fun

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 10:08:37 pm by Hoony »
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)