Author Topic: Take off!!  (Read 8033 times)

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Take off!!
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 03:36:40 pm »
The Motorcycling Australia version of the pre '78 class rules are almost a word for word copy of the AHRMA's Historic class rules , only they obviously haven't been updated to include the VB Montesa . The USA Historic class has a 9 inch suspension travel limit , so the guys running VB Cappras would have to somehow restrict their wheel travel to stay legal . Nobody would probably care too much if you left it at the original 10 inches travel , unless of course you won the class at a title meeting . Then you would run the risk of someone protesting . I don't agree with this trying to create a level playing field mentality & my view would be that if it left the factory like that back in 1977 , it should be legal to run it that way now in a pre '78 class . 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 03:39:53 pm by HUSKY500EVO »

Offline cappra

• Legend
  • Glendale, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Southwest Montesa
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 07:17:03 pm »
AHRMA's "leveling of the field" has unfortunately left out in the cold some significant
bikes such as the Yamaha DT-1 and the boat tail Pursang.  They would have to compete in
the sportsman class (74'models) and not in the earlier classic class.  It actually took alot
of effort to get the VB's into the Historic class (thanks to Jeff Clausen) and one of the odd
rules stipulate that the 360VB must have no more than a 4 speed trans! 

All Things 414

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 08:06:16 am »
See. When people are scared they'le try anything to lever you out!! ;D

everything rm370

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 08:06:46 pm »
hello again my little motor cross lamp building friend...  :onot only do i have interests in vintage motor bikes and wonderful and exotic lamps i also have a great interest in breeding dogs of different breeds.. I hope u don't think this to forward but that cute little girly mans dog Clarence that u seem to of shacked up with has caught the eye of my great dane... he is so taken by her he licks the screen every time i read one of your postings... now to the point of this letter i was wondering about a meeting for the two little fellas.. let me know and say hi to your brother for me and tell him to call ... :-*..........

All Things 414

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 08:25:51 pm »
I'm sorry my little lamp making friend but Clarence packs a lot of punch for such a little pooch if you know what I mean. Your Great Dane will end up VERY traumatised........ ::)

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 09:39:32 pm »
looking at all these montys brings back memories real pretty bikes i used to race for lyall  off and on from 79 to 82 i had ron dinsdales old 360vb for a while then i had a vf414  and the last one i had was a vg250
there was only 2 at that time in aus i think phil russel from warnambool had the other one the bike was
a great turner with a good motor massive seat height i think it had 13 inches travel from memory i remember holeshoting a race at longwarry led for 2 laps got passed by 2 new rm250zs that did it for me
went to suzuki and got a new 250 the next day never looked back but still the montys are beautiful bikes
dont blame you 414 for loving them 8)

it ran last time i started it  ;D
follow me to first turn

All Things 414

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 07:46:11 am »
Hey Holeshot! Great bit of history (apart from the Suzi bit,,,,)! If you've got any pics of you on any of those bikes (or anyone else on a Monty for that matter) please get them to me so as I can put them on my site with a bit of narration to go with them. Please send to [email protected]

gator

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2007, 08:42:09 pm »
Did you hear that 414 RM suzuki  ;) ;)

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2007, 09:57:30 pm »
got some old photos will convert to disc and see how i go that 360 vb i had was quicker than the lot of them just wheelstood all the bloody time 8)

it ran last time i started it  ;D
follow me to first turn