Author Topic: $3500 top end overhaul  (Read 41668 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: $3500 top end overhaul
« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2011, 12:16:02 pm »
If anyone has bought a powervalve for a 2 stroke you'd be aware that they are made of unobtainium. $287 plus nails per valve. Add a piston, gaskets & cyl repair and you aint got much change fron a gorilla.

Are they really needed for the overall average mx rider !! ?
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2011, 12:21:39 pm »

cheers A
[/quote]

they are on a 125, but Bahnzy a Gorilla for tragic 2 stroke blow up is just going to warm you up on 4 stroke.
formerly Marc.com

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2011, 12:59:41 pm »
cheers A

Al,
On a late model water-cooled 125/250 the difference between them working and not is substantial. In fact that reason that current 2 strokes, particular the larger capacity engines, are so rideable is due in part to the fitment and correct tuning of the power valves. Obviously head design, carburetion, exhaust etc plays a big part but the power valve is key to all this working. For the KTM range, the adjustable power valve on the 300EXC is a perfect example. The bike can be a arm tearing motocross monster or a sedate trail bike, all by the adjustment of the power valves and associated jetting.

Mark,
Know too well the 250F / 450F saga. I see it day in, day out with kids buying their first 2nd hand motocrosser only to learn a few weeks later that they need greater than the purchase price, just to fix the engine. The other issue with these titanium valved bikes is that there are very few engineers around that can “CORRECTLY” set up the cylinders heads to get the maximum life out of a new set of valves.

It was once described to me that Black Magic is the main ingredient in getting the valve seat angles, valve spring rates and installed tensions etc correct. ;)
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2011, 01:20:00 pm »

It was once described to me that Black Magic is the main ingredient in getting the valve seat angles, valve spring rates and installed tensions etc correct. ;)
[/quote]

I imagine it is a bit like doing Ducati heads where they are unforgiving if you are not clean and precise.

I can think of $3500 good reasons not to own one  ;D
formerly Marc.com

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2011, 11:26:55 pm »
Al,
 The bike can be a arm tearing motocross monster
It's a full MOON-Earth hasnt ended,all is well in this world.Its the big 450 first club day tomorrow with dad flagging  ;D The first Open event was placed second..bring on the green 
Best is in the West !!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2011, 09:35:22 am »
When I think Kawasaki I think Bubba.... paint the boy child black he might go a bit faster  ;D

formerly Marc.com

« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2011, 08:13:15 pm »
And get him to eat a lot of shrimp. Fried shrimp, potato shrimp,sautéed shrimp, shrimp kebabs, shrimp sandwiches.....