Author Topic: Talkin' bout Old School  (Read 5921 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Talkin' bout Old School
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 06:02:37 pm »
FSC, as far as I know, the 'rules' for the Classics class (or 'Old School' as it will be in 2008) are not set by the club as such. They allow there to be a classic class, and it's up to the riders to decide how it should work. For 2007 it was a Pre 85 class. As I understand it, Twistandshout pushed for this class to be opened up beyond Pre 85 largely because he has an 86 CR Honda, but it also made sense to widen the criteria to try to get a few more riders, given how it's usually only a 6 or 7 bike field. But he was more aiming at a +20 years rule. However, that opens the gates to bikes with disk rears and USD forks. Apparently, the general feeling amongst the class regulars is that permitting bikes like that is just too close to moderns and really defeats the whole point of a classic class.

So where does that leave us?

Your 87 and 89 CRs wouldn't have been in with a show this year anyway, as it was Pre 85. You almost made it in with the new rules, but don't. I guess that's life, after all it's a bit hard to keep chopping and changing to suit every possible combination. What about the bloke with a 91 KX250 who reckons he has an old bike and should be able to ride?

I can't really say too much as I am not part of the committee nor do I have any part in setting the rules. For myself I couldn't care less, Pre 90 is nice and easy and I'd be happy to have it that way. But what we have is what we have, so I guess that's how it will be...

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 09:19:38 am »
In our club at Stanmore in Qld, we have a combined trailbike and a very loose pre '85. There is no one policeing the year cut off 'cause no one gives a tosh. As long as there is a class to run the old girls. There is a regular who runs his '87 cr250 and i let a young fellow ride my CR500 '85 in the same class. I think the only ones that would care are the trophy hunters amongst us, as for me i get to have heaps of fun and get to parade the 'ol girls around. They get alot of attention as well, i get people coming up to me and chatting about them all the time. Getting the bikes out in front of a younger audience is a good part of it too. So blokes like Nathan would get a run no questions asked. Its as easy as that.(How hard can it be!)

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 10:17:43 am »
yep, so Qld & Vic don't have the "Fun Police" like the NSW VMX bureaucrats
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)