Author Topic: Classic Dirt Track Images.  (Read 685425 times)

Curly3

Re: Classic Dirt Track Images.
« Reply #540 on: June 15, 2011, 07:44:03 AM »
Only ever went there as a kid, my memmory of the place is of doubling one of Billy Macs daughters around the track after a meeting when her leg went down between the swing arm and wheel, breaking it.
Still makes me shudder thinking about it.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 15, 2011, 09:12:26 AM »
st george mcc had 1 race meeting there i remember all the trees and also a go kart track as well.is that kev wight from st george if so he comes to our club days with th
jim

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 15, 2011, 12:01:17 PM »
Only ever went there as a kid, my memmory of the place is of doubling one of Billy Macs daughters around the track after a meeting when her leg went down between the swing arm and wheel, breaking it.
Still makes me shudder thinking about it.
You broke one of Billy Macs' daughters leg, Steve, and are still here to talk about it?
st george mcc had 1 race meeting there i remember all the trees and also a go kart track as well.is that kev wight from st george if so he comes to our club days with th
jim
Same Kev Wright, Jim. He was a hard charger in his day. Wollongong MCC had a heap of club days with Blacktown there. It was a great little track, but is now houses :-[

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 15, 2011, 12:51:13 PM »
I ended up riding at the wintersun classic speedway on the weekend at the home of  'leigh adams speedway", MIldura.

Far out that was a time warp........  i havent seen those overhead green large can lights on wires since the 1950 had them on dog tracks and bowling greens.    Bit that worried me though was the Jarrah sleepers that was the outside track fence..... that would hurt..... hard

74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Curly3

« Reply #544 on: June 15, 2011, 04:25:03 PM »
Gee Freaky, you were going so fast even the camera couldn't catch ya.
Yeah Pete I lived to tell the tale.
The oldies were all sitting on the spectator mound having there usual cuppa, ( piss up ), after the meeting while I was cruising around the track on my A100 Suzy, actually I had both of Billy's daughters on the back, when I looked over to see Marg Mac running towards us waving her arms around for me to stop, both girls were laughing and screaming the whole time and I hadn't realised what had happened.
As I said, I still feel crook at the memmory, it didn't look good.
Anyway I reminded them about it at the BWP reunion and they laughed, so I guess that means I'm off the hook, 40 years later.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 04:38:59 PM by SlideRulz »

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 15, 2011, 05:26:25 PM »
Gee Freaky, you were going so fast even the camera couldn't catch ya.

OKay easily fixed.

Im on the jawa - black and yellow stipe pants gating in 3, made the final and came 2nd ( more arse than class but have the sash to prove it   ;) ) and also swinging on the blue sidecar 151.

ill keep looking but all the pics i have seen are blurred, again i think it was the camera person and maybe not the speeds involved ...... :-X

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 05:32:18 PM by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Curly3

« Reply #546 on: June 15, 2011, 05:38:08 PM »
Freaky Freaky Freaky, you've got to stop being lazy and get your arse off the seat.
Mind you, you're doing better than I'd be capable of these days, well done on the 2nd placing.

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 15, 2011, 06:27:20 PM »
Well done Freaky! It's a bit hard to get ya bum off the seat when you're not a short arse. I,m over 6 ft.
 Question for The Fossilater, whats Don Stafford riding and what are 5 ways? I know Don was an agent for Elstar frames and rode JAPS but thats not a JAP in the pic.
mark

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 15, 2011, 06:46:09 PM »
Great stuff, Freaky, good onya, riding solo an backin' up as a swinger on an outfit !! way to go!
Mark ,
I was wondering what engine Don Stafford had in that photo, kinda looks like a Cole, although he was experimenting with a four valve of some kind about that time, 5 ways are club level meetings restricted to members of the 5 clubs named on the MNSW permit application,

Oh yeah , Pete
If ya have a look at post 266 on this thread , Kevin Wright is there with the St. George mob, still reckon he was too young to have a licence !!, you are right ,he was a hard charger .
Foss

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 15, 2011, 08:30:35 PM »
Great stuff, Freaky, good onya, riding solo an backin' up as a swinger on an outfit !! way to go!
Mark ,
I was wondering what engine Don Stafford had in that photo, kinda looks like a Cole, although he was experimenting with a four valve of some kind about that time, 5 ways are club level meetings restricted to members of the 5 clubs named on the MNSW permit application,

Oh yeah , Pete
If ya have a look at post 266 on this thread , Kevin Wright is there with the St. George mob, still reckon he was too young to have a licence !!, you are right ,he was a hard charger .
Foss
Al, I'm pretty sure that was a Cole that Don was riding (poor bugger, although I'd still like to have mine now). I've forwarded the link to Kev Wright - been trying to talk him into getting a bike and having a ride, but he doesn't seem too keen. I'll keep working on him,
Pete.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 15, 2011, 08:33:42 PM »
Hey Pete
I just saved that pic of Don and when you blow it up, and have a look at the engine, it's a Cole allright but there doesn't appear to be a magneto drive, what the ???
Foss

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 15, 2011, 08:55:13 PM »
            Just for comparison, here's a pic of the timing side of me Cole skids bike

Foss

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 15, 2011, 09:11:16 PM »
Im on the jawa - black and yellow stipe pants gating in 3, made the final and came 2nd ( more arse than class but have the sash to prove it   ;) ) and also swinging on the blue sidecar 151.

ill keep looking but all the pics i have seen are blurred, again i think it was the camera person and maybe not the speeds involved ...... :-X

What did you think of Olympic Park Mildura Freaky? i never did have a run at that track, it was too far from Melb' for me and could not afford the time off work. one day i will go for a look see, i was up there on Hols a few years back for 2 weeks and would you belive i missed a meeting a few days each side of my time there.

How did the 2 V Jawa go ? its looks tiny under you mate.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 15, 2011, 10:06:54 PM »
Hey Pete
I just saved that pic of Don and when you blow it up, and have a look at the engine, it's a Cole allright but there doesn't appear to be a magneto drive, what the ???
Foss
Hey Al,
It probably had total loss coil ignition on it. They used to run a Honda 90 bacing plate and cover on the back side of the timing case. It fitted real well and was tucked out of the way. Pretty hard to beat a good mag when they're working properly though.
Pete.

Curly3

« Reply #554 on: June 15, 2011, 10:14:16 PM »
Interesting shot Foss, there wouldn't be many Staride/Rotrax Coles out there.
I bet you wish you still had it?
Go you Blue Boy's.