Author Topic: Classic Dirt Track Images.  (Read 720731 times)

Curly3

Re: Classic Dirt Track Images.
« Reply #660 on: July 14, 2011, 09:03:08 pm »
Carl rode at that meeting and bought his Girlfriend with us.
Di Louis is here name and I was a dowe eyed 13yo.
Great shot of GC looking so fit, well and happy, it was just a matter of months and the Showground claimed him.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:33:12 pm by SlideRulz »

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 14, 2011, 09:06:22 pm »
and the only diference now is your way way older
ps
do we have a pit crew for nepean should have 3 bikes.beter get that dr going the staracer is ready to go
jim

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 14, 2011, 09:10:09 pm »
Hey Slider,
Mark , I totally agree with your last post, lovely shot !!

OK , the three most popular makes of Slider frames in the '70s were , Hagon , Godden , and Elstar, in that order in my opinion, we've seen the grouse Godden catalogue from Slider and a beaut shot of a Hagon Sandracer from Slides, so here's my two bobs worth.

This is my Elstar just after re-building it and fitting an 84S engine, check the clearance between carb and maggy.
The Elstar , IMO, was the best handling frame for me, shorter wheelbase and a bit stiffer , the seat tube went down to the bottom of the engine plates , unlike a Sandracer.
Foss

Curly3

« Reply #663 on: July 14, 2011, 09:21:49 pm »
I don't know about you Jim but I can look after myself thanks, Tom will be with me though.
Foss, Foss, Foss, why did you let it go?
Just like the rest of us, I bet you're kicking yourself about the one that got away.
I'm ready Jim, should we put a bottle of Scotch on it?
Hang on, TH will turn up.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 14, 2011, 09:27:19 pm »
steve
dont mention scotch th will be there for sure giving both of us the order.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 14, 2011, 10:21:03 pm »
After posting the pic of me Elstar, which was my last serious racebike , I went looking for this pic, a year or so after the shot of the Elstar was taken, EA's, the kids and my world went up in flames, literally.

In the early '80s, my 10 year old son, Brian, acquired a KX 80 and asked could he go over to Fairbairn Park dirt track and have a run, took him over there once and the Dirt Track bug hit me again.

Didn't have a bike but Bro Jim had given me the remains of his single cylinder class road racer, pulled the YZ 400 motor out and looked around for a frame, found a DT 250 frame and a few other Yam bits and pieces, wedged it all together and this is the result on its wheels for the first time.
Tidied it up a bit , fitted a boat tail seat assembly and took it over to Canberra , It went like a cut cat and I fright myself and a few others many times !!

Tony Day's Tenere inthe background
Foss

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 14, 2011, 10:37:48 pm »
allan
you know the frame was a gen tr2 yamaha racing frame.ahh the things we discard.like my 2 cottons !!!!!!!! and that special streety motor wish i still had that it would sit nice in the long track roller
thats history

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #667 on: July 14, 2011, 10:42:33 pm »
not a bad looking pipe on the yammie Foss, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline TC91

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 14, 2011, 11:54:01 pm »
In the early/mid 80's when dad and his brothers had the Bendigo Showgrounds there was an 'A' grader who would idle his bike around to the start when every one else would practise their starts on the way round. He seemed to be able to pull more gearing yet would holeshot. Had me stumped at the time. A few years later yarning over a few beers he fesses up. A sponge above the the throttle slide soaked in nitro mix. First time it is screwed open "yepee",a later fuel check says all legit. go figure.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 15, 2011, 07:20:38 am »
AAAAH, TC
The dreaded sponge in the carby slide spring soaked in Nitro trick, it was more widespread than everyone thought, no-one talked about it too much !!
Foss

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 15, 2011, 12:51:44 pm »

Just like the rest of us, I bet you're kicking yourself about the one that got away.

All of those 500 JAPs and ESO's/sliders must be out there somewhere and i'm looking for one .  Cheers    Mark

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 15, 2011, 12:54:56 pm »
what am i doing wrong fellas? the quote and my comment are in the same box
  Mark

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 15, 2011, 01:23:35 pm »

All of those 500 JAPs and ESO's/sliders must be out there somewhere and i'm looking for one .  Cheers    Mark
[/quote]

Open it up with modify message, and you can See you have only one [/quote] at the end to close it all off, i suspect you deleted the top one when you started typing.  easy just put any anothers in where you want it

[quote ] your text per quote or section needs to be in here [/quote ]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 01:30:30 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Curly3

« Reply #673 on: July 15, 2011, 07:21:06 pm »
Aye boy's, we actually recieved a rapp today from a fellow forum member, oldschool.
In light of the " Shitfight " that has become the Carbon Tax debate, we're helping keep other forum members interested in the forum by talking about old dirt bikes.
Here here.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 15, 2011, 07:51:42 pm »
Yep, Slides saw that comment a couple of days ago, fair comment too !!
OK , Quiz Time
The following shot is of Alan Hill and I don't know what bike he's on, all I know is he borrowed it for the meeting or what track it is !!
I think it's Londonderry or Arcadia, maybe you can help there, Pancho

Alan's normal ride was a Hagon JAP , sorta sticks out due to his riding style, how-ever he went over to the dark side for his 250 ride and bought a Maico which promptly crapped it-self bigtime so Hilly fitted a 6 speed, 250 twin Suzy Hustler motor , didn't that thing go !!

Foss