Author Topic: Classic Dirt Track Images.  (Read 724192 times)

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
Re: Classic Dirt Track Images.
« Reply #330 on: October 23, 2010, 10:29:17 pm »
Been trying to get hold of this photo of the late Gordon Guasco since his name came up in the first sliders thread. Langy came up with it for me .

Vale GG

Curly3

« Reply #331 on: October 23, 2010, 10:45:49 pm »
Another career cut short, great rider.
No wonder his nickname was Horse.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 11, 2010, 10:56:43 am »
Freight Train at Pit corner Kempsey, TH is there , Ian Williams , but who is the Pepsi #3 rider in about 3rd or 4th ?? check the crowd  !!

Apologise for the quality , however these photos have survived 30 or more years plus a house fire.
Foss

Been searching through me fire damaged photos and found the sequel to the first shot , Ian Williams is having a big go inside TH and does grab the lead as the next shot I have shows , however it is to badly damaged to post.

One thing , I can't remember TH wearing blue and white leathers , his number is on the bike , Steve ??
Foss

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 11, 2010, 11:10:12 am »
While I was going through me photos , I found this shot of veteran Longtrack and Speedway rider Ken Carrat of Canberra, I used it as a publicity shot in the local rag, the shot was taken in  2003 , Ken was 57 then , and still competes in Veteran Speedway events around OZ , the last one he rode in was the recent Gillman meeting , I think there is a thread about it on the forum.

Turn 3 at Sapphire Speedway, Bega , Ken Carrat ,1960's Jawa Longtracker , 2  Valve Slider event at 2003 South Coast Cup meeting.
Foss

Curly3

« Reply #334 on: November 11, 2010, 04:52:22 pm »
It's definitely TH, looks like the first lap and Trev's 700 got the holeshot.

ianaust

« Reply #335 on: November 11, 2010, 05:37:27 pm »
Steve dont be like that ,  just because its true an yes he did have those shit leathers but not for long , he got them for free.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 11, 2010, 05:47:33 pm »
Thanks Ian and Steve , that explains it , I just couldn't remember TH in those leathers .
Foss

Curly3

« Reply #337 on: November 11, 2010, 06:10:30 pm »
Where are your photo's Ian? No more excuses.
The rest of us are running on empty.
Those blue ones were better than the baby shite brown ones he wore for years.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 06:13:06 pm by SlideRulz »

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 12, 2010, 08:46:57 pm »
While checking this shot out of the late Ian Williams at Kempsey, obviously having issues with the Wessie, I noticed TH was in the background with those blue and white leathers , I just wondered who he was yakkiing to , a couple of them look familiar, any idea Steve ??

Foss

Curly3

« Reply #339 on: November 12, 2010, 09:05:12 pm »
I have no idea Foss, this was the time between Carlos giving Short Circuit away in 74 and when I rode from 79 - 82.
Mr Burkett would know, one of them may even be him???????

ianaust

« Reply #340 on: November 13, 2010, 07:01:09 am »
The gentlemen with Trev are Mr Metcalffe behind him , next to him is Max Woodruff and the other is Alex Shultz of Carlisle tyres

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 13, 2010, 05:07:41 pm »
The recent sad passing of Arthur Hamburger prompted me to find up this program cover , it was the last open meeting at Boxers Creek and that was when I met and competed against Arthur for the first time.
                     VALE " ARFA"

For those of you that didn't know the circuit , it was a Miniature TT style of track , over  3/4  mile around with all sorts of corners and a loooooong straight, the only one I knew of that had braking markers at the fast end , I won my one and only A grade event there , against not a lot of opposition , Lee Roebuck and a fella on a Hagon Goldie gave me heaps , loved the place.

There were a couple of club days held after this meeting and you can still see the outline of the track using Google Earth.

Foss
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 05:10:35 pm by jap454 »

ianaust

« Reply #342 on: November 13, 2010, 06:25:14 pm »
Its a pity its not still there, I have good memories of the place not only on solos but sidecars with my old man. Still remember Dave Mitchell on a Elstar JAP
one meeting that will remain a long time

Curly3

« Reply #343 on: January 15, 2011, 09:47:33 pm »
Nothing new from me, just noticed we had been bumped back to page 3.

firko

« Reply #344 on: January 16, 2011, 09:30:27 am »
*I notice the name Rod Dunne on the rider list for that Boxer Ck meeting in 1972. I was talking to him only recently and he's still involved as a restorer. He is restoring a number of different speedway and DT tackle and owns the ex Jim Scaysbrook Matchless Metisse which he had at CD6.
*Neil Daines was involved during the early days of VMX on his B50...He was pretty quick too.
*Ditto Ross Murray who had a string of Maicos.
*Ron Davis is still competing regularly on his quick TM400...He's the head of the Highway Patrol at Deniliquin these days.
*I still see Darrel Butler at various dirt track meets. His family are still involved but he no longer races.

I have no idea what happened to that old fosil Alan Garvey since his big win though?