Author Topic: Evo & Twinshock Magazine  (Read 5050 times)

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
Evo & Twinshock Magazine
« on: January 22, 2010, 08:41:47 am »
I just recieved my copy of Evo & Twinshock magazine ( http://www.evotwinshock.com/ ) in the post yesterday and I am very impressed. It has lots of good quality action shots of the 2009 UK racing season . Don't those pommy guys love their Maicos ? There has got to be at least 3 times as many Maicos in the pictures, than any other brand . A word of warning though, as some of the members of this forum may be offended by the content, because the English Evo class is actually pre '90  :o. Their twinshock class is the same as our Evo. Holy water would have to be sprinkled on the images of the pre '90 bikes before veiwing , as they are apparently machinery of the devil :).

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
Re: Evo & Twinshock Magazine
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 09:46:07 am »
Pommies and Maico love.Ironic isn't it? ;)

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 12:45:52 pm »
I got my copy also.  The pics don't have captions, but that will change for the next copy.  The bikes just look like old motocross machines to me.  I can't tell Evo from Evil or Emo or twin shock with 1 shock  ????  Don't care, actually.  I'm with Husky.  :-*  ::)

firko

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 01:17:39 pm »
Where did that magazine come from? I didn't even know of its existence. I've sent for my copy of issue one and hope it gets here a bit quicker than my first copy of MotoRetro. The websites a bit ordinary.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 01:19:12 pm by firko »

dirtrumpy

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 03:27:04 pm »
Is the editor a Roger Strudwick??

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 03:30:53 pm »
I suppose the MX crew over there wanted another alternative to their Classic Dirt magazine which seems to be more about vintage trials than any thing else.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 03:52:41 pm »
I suppose the MX crew over there wanted another alternative to their Classic Dirt magazine which seems to be more about vintage trials than any thing else.

Yeah classic dirt started out great and has become crap, this is the problem when the vintage trials interests of the staff steer the content.
formerly Marc.com

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 03:56:18 pm »
well i just ordered a copy. I assume that one is the first issue?
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 05:23:32 pm »
Yeah classic dirt [bike] started out great and has become crap, this is the problem when the vintage trials interests of the staff steer the content.

I agree that its gone downhill, and I'm even interested in the trials stuff...
I dunno - its just too bit Brit-centric. CDB is obviously made by the poms for the poms.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 06:00:16 pm »
its just too bit Brit-centric. CDB is obviously made by the poms for the poms.
That's going to be the downfall of CDB. You have to cater for all interests which I think VMX does admirably. The choice of feature bikes and quality of the writing is often woeful. I have a general interest in classic trials but the balance is out of whack at CDB. I hope the new mag is a bit more balanced in outlook and content.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 06:32:42 pm »
That new mag looks good. Apart from CDB i've been getting another pommy mag called Moto, it's a modern mag with a mixture of vintage as well and has good vintage articles, bike tests and a report on Farleigh Castle twinshock and other big vmx events. It's tied up with the MXTRAX website.

mainline

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 06:46:40 pm »
Apart from CDB i've been getting another pommy mag called Moto

That would be my pic of the other (not VMX Mag) magazines too. The article last year on Jeff Ward's '84 works KX125, just about has the pages stuck together.

MXA is chockers with ads, and now even reprints of old stories ::). Even some of Jody's editorials are now made up of old pieces he's written. And jeez, the number of trials bikes in CDB! The only thing that's a given in CDB, is (a) the excessive number of trials bikes, and (b) the editorial, where the editor proclaims his objectiveness, and how despite the pile of letters/emails to the contrary, the aren't actually that many trials bikes in the mag.

And virtually every other dirt bike mag out there has a cover with a picture of some squeezer upside down, 50ft in the air, and a tart in the corner (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 09:06:18 pm »
"Squeezer",man I love that word.It really does some it up doesn't it?

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 04:55:16 pm »
    After my initial positive thoughts of the Evo & Twinshock magazine, mainly because of the quality of the pictures as I flicked through it when it first arrived, I wasn't as impressed when I got to fully read it on the weekend. The magazine is basically a review, with a list of results, for some events the UK racing season . It probably needs some stories and feature bikes to make it a bit more interesting . Also it needed to have someone proof read it before printing, as there is a lot of punctuation mistakes, which made it hard to understand in places . I still think it is a good effort for a first issue and the photography is top notch .
    I agree with what has been written about the Classic Dirtbike magazine. I chose not to renew my subscription because of the seemingly ever increasing trials content . I might have to check out Moto magazine if it has some older bike articles.   

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 10:39:42 am »
One thing you can draw from this discussion is that VMX Mag has really no competition.The format,Quality of articles,pictures,layout are all first class and best of all its produced here in good old Oz! but has content from all over the world.(Surely these comments are worthy of a year's subscription Ken?Ajay?) :D Speaking of which Happy Australia Day to all.