Author Topic: Best Shocks to buy  (Read 11011 times)

albrid-3

Best Shocks to buy
« on: January 19, 2010, 02:15:52 pm »
I would like to buy a new pair of shocks, and l can`t deside on which pair and everyone has different appinions about shocks. l would like some help. The bike that l will be putting them on will be for my Bultaco MK8 125. eye to eye about 335,l would like a little longer. lf someone would have the right measurements, my weight is 80 kg. cheers.
Makes
Rock shock
NJB
IKON
yss.
Falcon
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 02:19:58 pm by Dot »

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
Re: Best Shocks to buy
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 07:23:38 pm »
Like you say there are as many opinions as there are people on this forum.

I have YSS shocks on my TM125 Suzuki and my wife's CRF230 Honda, both have YSS PD valves and and I'm happy with them all.

Deb even says her CRF is "smoother"
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 11:03:00 pm by brent j »
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 07:37:24 pm »
You mention rock shocks, that is mountain bike suspension..don't think they'll work.
What about ohlins, works performance or fox shocks?
I use all 3 on vintage bikes of mine and they're all very good depending on the application, i would think works performance would be good on a mk8 bully.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 08:12:30 pm »
Works Performance have a special on there Ebay store at the moment... build to order ....email Randy through there Ebay store, cheers John.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 08:40:49 pm »
http://www.rockshocks.co.uk/ ........not the MTB stuff from USA

if money is no object consider
Wilbers
Technoflex
Reiger

They all do non reservoir 'classic' style shocks.

Remember once you buy a decent set, they will last the life of the bike and you will get your moneys worth from them if you look after them. You could end up buying 2 or 3 lower price sets that dont last or offer very good performance when you could have just got one really good set to start with.

You definitely get what you pay for and theres usually a good reason why some cost more than others.

Also dont over look getting some second hand Fox, WP, Ohlins etc. they can be restored to as new or better condition by the right people and although they may be 20 or 30 years old, they still perfom better than many of the lower priced new stuff.

Probably the most important thing when buying a new set is to find out if they have any kind of warranty so you know where you stand if something goes wrong.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 08:42:48 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 08:18:44 pm »
NJB won't take a high leverage ratio but for earlier twinshocks are a very good deal. For my old KLX the only option is Falcon who make to measure and have a unit with 5.5" of travel, as close as the original's 5.9" as I can find. I couldn't justify Ohlins, they'd cost more than the bike! A lot of shocks seem to have no more than 4" of travel so even if you get the length right you won't get the original travel
I was round at Andy Roberton's the other day and he had a prototype set of Rock Shocks to go on a Husky. They had a very wide bore and looked very well built but the spring diameter meant he was having to make new mounting points. That's something to consider before you buy.   

Hornet

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 08:41:53 pm »
if money is no object consider
Wilbers
Technoflex

They all do non reservoir 'classic' style shocks.

Remember once you buy a decent set, they will last the life of the bike and you will get your moneys worth from them if you look after them. You could end up buying 2 or 3 lower price sets that dont last or offer very good performance when you could have just got one really good set to start with.

Probably the most important thing when buying a new set is to find out if they have any kind of warranty so you know where you stand if something goes wrong.

Good luck!
[/quote]

Hmmm , I  am pretty sure Wilbers is a copy of Techno Flex , and Techno Flex has become now YSS .  8)  the YSS and Promax  shocks are taylormade and you dont have to cut any mounts.  Its a small world  :D  thanks for the plug , Leith
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:18:34 pm by Brom Brom »

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 09:06:00 pm »
Are you back again WALTER  ;D

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 09:53:20 pm »
Arrh , the forum police is on to me again . Sorry Sir , I was only trying to state some facts . Sorry for posting  facts . :P
You change your name every day and go under several alias's then act surprised when someone comments!
How old are you... 8?

Hornet

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 10:02:39 pm »
As long as I dont defame people or twist  facts , i can do what I like in Cyberworld . When its serios business we are serios , when its idle oodle doodle I can be an idiot , is that OK   Johnny ? I really hope I have your blessing . If you where a R+D technician or designer for any of the products you push , I would accept your statements and welcome critism  on my products .  Nocking is so easy , doing it better , thats another thing . And thats when I get cheesed off very  quick by "professors" . I am trying hard to please reasonable people where ever I can .
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:16:33 pm by Walter »

montynut

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 10:13:16 pm »
Don't worry Walter. The vast majority of VMX riders that have dealt with YSS find the service, knowledge and after sales support more than enough to keep them coming back.

Now I assume Freakshow will make one of his very revealing and unbiased posts  ::) regarding YSS

My Montesa VF250 has YSS shocks, fork emulators and fork springs. Took 5 days from order to delivery for the shocks  ;). A little longer for the Forks as Les @ Mainly Maico (NSW YSS support) took the time to design the adaptors to install the emulators and new springs. They where nearly perfect first ride  ;D.

My Montesa H7 has YSS shocks, again ordered Monday arrived at my home in NSW on the following Friday. I can not fault them and am more than happy with quality, performance and the support if any problems with setup or tuning. Basically the VG250 & H7 250/360 Monties are a one off as these models are totally different to all other Montesa shock layouts.

Naturally this is only my view supported by my own experience. I am sure that many other brands are also excellent.

closed circle

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 10:16:06 pm »
Perhaps Walter you need to learn how to spell first? or should I order yws socks?

Hornet

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 10:20:06 pm »
HMM , your first post , very observing ... just fill out the order form on the shop site , dont worry about the spelling  and make sure your card details are correct  ;D
I never claimed to be a speller , i have other priorities .  With 4 languages fluently and frequently used it can get mixed up a bit sometimes , but you know what I try to say and thats what really  matters 8).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 10:49:05 pm by Walter »

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 10:33:30 pm »
Sure do Walter. i often have four voices in my head........... :-\
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 10:54:33 pm »
as the veteran of too many flame wars myself, can I make a suggestion?

This isn't helping anyone, and it would be great if you'd both let it go.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.