Author Topic: j.a.p ohc parts  (Read 46871 times)

firko

Re: j.a.p ohc parts
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2010, 06:32:46 pm »
Kyokuto:
Jim Crowhurst ran the engine for the '72/ 73 or thereabouts season and I do have a photo somewhere of the driveside of the machine in the Griffith pits, in a Hagon Sandracer frame.

Photo and info from Alan Garvey.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2010, 06:33:26 pm »
Hey Pete
Don't have a photo of the Don Stafford 4 Valve Jap engine, but somewhere in my old magazine collection there is a report on it and the grease nipples on the rocker shafts ring a bell , I will try to find it
I do have a photo of the Kyokuto engine and have been trying to post it today no go so have asked Firko to do it for me.

Don Stafford made the Alstar frames and I used one of his taper roller head bearing diamonds in my Elstar after wrecking it at Young

Foss

Curly3

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2010, 07:49:34 pm »
G'day Fossil, Allan or JAP454, your prang at Young wasn't the same one that involved a host if riders including Billy Mack and Vic Mctaggart with Vic breaking both his legs?
This thread has been very interesting and educational, hasn't it Ian  :D ;D ;) :P
Hey Firko, I do remember Gus and what a nice bloke, my beeza made his bike look even better though.
C'mon Lenny, you can do it.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2010, 09:09:07 pm »
Naah , Steve,  not that prang but I do have some footage of the BIIG first turn prang at Young involving Captain Rats and the Poms in 197? my prang involved me an another rider chasing Langy in a final , saw the Captain at Blayney in 08.
Fossil

Curly3

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2010, 09:56:24 pm »
I'd love to see that footage as would Bill himself. He lost all his photos in a flood several years ago. I promised him to forward on anything I can find.

Offline hampster

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2010, 10:05:39 pm »
Hi,

Bit of a change from speed way J.a.p's but my father has a 1932 OHV 350 road race motor which he is trying to sell would any body know any interested buyer's ?

Chris.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2010, 10:20:55 pm »
Steve
oz555ktm transfered the Video to cd for me, he may be able to still burn you a copy, the video is a bit furry round the edges as it has been transferred from super 8 film. Stil it has some good footage of Charlie Edwards etc was that the prang Vic was involved in??

Fossil

firko

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2010, 11:18:51 am »
Here's some more shots of the DOHC 4V JAP sent by Gus. The internal shots are interesting. Perhaps Ian has one of those rare Don Stafford motors and didn't realise it. ;D All he needs is a Meirson and an SR60 and he'd have the Aussie speedway engine Holy Trinity!

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:20:26 am by firko »

firko

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2010, 03:42:42 pm »
Here's the Stafford/Neil Street JAP conversion for comparison with the above genuine JAP.

Below : Jonesys entirely Australian built SR60 speedway bike. By entire I mean the motor, frame and hubs are all 100% Aussie products.  Alan also owns an Aussie made Meirson among his amazing speedway engine collection.

photos courtesy of Alan Jones.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 03:53:37 pm by firko »

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2010, 07:06:06 pm »
Ok Mark, now i'm intrigued.

what is the history and story behind the SR60 speedway bike. and Aussie made Meirson.

i have never heard of them. i suspect SR stands for "Street Racing"
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Curly3

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2010, 07:33:11 pm »
Firko, that last bike is obviously a later model, where does the ignition point come from? Great looking bike though and interesting that Sammy Miller is one of the bodies standing behind.
C'mon Ian, you are becoming conspicuous by your absence, you're amongst friends here, I look forward to your input.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2010, 10:19:58 pm »
Firko, I'll go blind if you keep putting photos like that 4V JAP Longtracker up !! bloody beautiful looking bit of kit !!

OK the Stafford/Street engine, I always thought the Stafford engine was pushrod so shows you how memory plays tricks on you !!

Question for anyone :- At Liverpool Speedway in 197?, I snuck into the pits and had a look at Phil Crump's Neil Street engine and, as I remember , the timing chain came off the engine sprocket carrier , is my memory correct on that one or not ??

Fossil

firko

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2010, 11:07:25 pm »
Ok Mark, now i'm intrigued.
what is the history and story behind the SR60 speedway bike. and Aussie made Meirson.
i have never heard of them. i suspect SR stands for "Street Racing"

The SR60 ( SR for Southern Racing-60 for the proposed horsepower goal) is the great Aussie project that died almost before it started.  Adelaides Fred Jolly was the Jawa speedway agent for Australia. At some time in 1971/2 Jawa pulled his franchise and gave it to Frasers in Adelaide. In reply Jolly decided to  make his own engine and got together with ? Clisby, a successful compressor manufacturer who'd recently designed a V6 F1 style engine. They made two complete bikes..the red one one pictured, #1 and a green bike #2 before her realised that the project wasn't going to be financially viable and the bikes hidden were away in a shed for the next 25 years. Eventually Jolly died and his assets were sold off. Number 1, the red bike was bought by Alan Jones and Number 2 went to an unknown collector in Perth along with all of the casting patterns. Number 2 was never started but Alans #1 bike has a total of 8 laps under its belt. Jolly had Jim Airey lined up to test the machine in a private session at Rowley Park Speedway but he didn't show. Fortunately Danish speedway great Ole Olsen was in town at the time so he was recruited to test the bike. Only 8 laps were completed before some now unknown minor problem brought the session to an end but that was enough for Ole who was reportedly astounded by the performance of the bike declaring it faster than anything he'd ever ridden. He offered to buy it and taker it back to Europe but Jolly refused. The bike was never ridden again to this day. Alan has plans to eventually fire her up and put some laps on it but won't even think of it until the engine is thoroughly checked over. I've had a good look at it and it's a beautifully  made piece of gear.

The Meirson was developed in Northgate, Brisbane by an auto electrician named Meirs who had been producing replacement aluminium cases for JAP speedway engines. He raced TQ midgets with JAP power and developed a his own engine based on the JAP that eventually evolved into the Meirson twin cam 2v engine bearing little in common with the JAP in design. A small number of engines were produced and mainly used in TQ midgets although Sydney rider Dave Mills spent some time developing it for solo speedway. The engine proved to be bulletproof and very fast but unfortunately, Mr Meirs died and the project ended. Alans engine is new and has never been fired. He hopes to fit it to an Aussie made frame sometime in the future.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2010, 11:44:00 pm »
Great stuff , Firko, and top photos , all this because someone asked about parts for a 4V DOHC JAP !

Was it " Clarrie" Meirs ?? he fixed the magneto of me Triumph in Brissie  in 1967

While we are talking about Aussie Speedway engines , what became of the " Hejisun" motor , Ithink that spelling is right, as I remember it was to be  manufactured by Hector and Jim Sunderland,  relatives of Wagga's Bob Sunderland and there was an article about it in the motorcycle press of the day, anything known about it ?? or any photos ??

Us Aussies are an ingenious lot , aren't we ?

And lets not even start on Sid Willis' double knocker desmo Velo !!

Fossil

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2010, 11:31:11 am »
K2000x,this seller is in Aust,so maybe able to help out with some appropriate parts for you.  8)
cheers & enjoy

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/JAP-Crank-Cases_W0QQitemZ150407386751QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Motorcycle_Parts_
Accessories?hash=item2304fa967f
Best is in the West !!