Author Topic: 102 octane racing fuel.  (Read 18295 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
102 octane racing fuel.
« on: December 14, 2009, 10:19:47 pm »
I've got a brand new, never-opened 20-litre drum of ET Racing 102 octane racing fuel.
FIA, CAMS, FIM approved.

$110 to buy from ET racing Fuels, will sell for $50.

http://www.etracingfuels.com/

Nathan. 04000 23847.

Located in Yass NSW, can bring to Canberra most weekdays.

Sold, pending payment.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 01:03:25 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: 102 octane racing fuel.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 01:32:57 pm »
Sold if not paid for :O)
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 01:34:05 pm »
PPS .  what s the story with alcohol, is ther more than 1 sort and if so which one for bikes and castor oil, What price per litre ?  any ideas
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 06:32:39 pm »
OMG - Freaky's pulling me up on language issues!?

How about: Provisionally sold, payment pending.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 09:54:03 pm »
OMG - Freaky's pulling me up on language issues!?

How about: Provisionally sold, payment pending.

Nar nath you dick, what i meant was if he doesnt pay up ill buy ; as in resold, if he no pay pay.

I live for miss spelling, go for it, it make me warm and fuzzy, id never pull it up.  :O)
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 11:00:58 pm »
Race fuel wins in every way except cost.

Avgas is really quite crap in performance motors - its only saving grace is that it is very resistant to detonation.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating:

When leaded fuels were banned in rallying, people with Avgas motors did one of four things:
1. Richened the mixtures and retarded the timing to avoid detonation, and used PULP. These guys lost heaps of power and heaps of drivability.
2. Went and bought race fuel, poured it into their fuel tank, and simply carried on. These guys usually found a few more kilowatts (call it 5% as a rough figure), at the expense of a much larger fuel bill.
3. Rebuilt their motors with more compression, and re-tuned for race fuel. These guys got a ~10% increase over their properly tuned Avgas motors.
4. Decomrpessed and retuned their engines, and ran them on PULP. This group invariably got a few percent MORE power than they did with Avgas, with lower running costs. The drawback is that you then needed to be careful to get good, clean, fresh fuel.

CamP

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 02:55:36 am »
Avgas is really quite crap in performance motors - its only saving grace is that it is very resistant to detonation.

I don't know what you guys get for Avgas, but the 100LL we get here in the states runs exceptionally well in all my bikes, old and new.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 07:29:38 am »
I don't know what you guys get for Avgas, but the 100LL we get here in the states runs exceptionally well in all my bikes, old and new.

At least until when Avgas got hard to buy here, we could only got the high lead stuff. Great resistance to knocking, but burns too slowly.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 08:12:09 am »
"Avgas" is not that good for high revving engines of any kind, it was designed for Aircraft engines that predominatly only rev between 2000 to 3000 RPM. Because of this it is very slow burning, it does have a very high anti-knock additive though. This is a very complicated subject that could go on for 100's of pages, best and simplest advice..... buy proper race gas....eg ELF, VP ect... and remember theres all different ratings so you need to talk to the rep on your needs...ie...type of engine....2 or 4 stroke, type of racing, compression ratio, bla bla bla.... this will probably open a can of worms and it's your fault Nathan!!!!
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 08:56:36 am »
All of the commercially available race fuels will give you the consistancy you want.
They've all got info on what standards they meet, too - AFAIK, there's few few that aren't acceptable from VMX racing.
They will all be a step up from Avgas.

So which one you choose really comes down to what you can get easily, what features you want, and price.
Off the top of my head, the brands that are easy to buy in Australia are: Elf, Sunoco, ET Racing, Martini and VP.

The only other thing I can offer, is when you retune, don't expect it to behave exactly like Avgas - I know of people who have stubbornly insisted that they "Shouldn't have to change the timing - we worked out that this setting was best years ago!", and ignored the fact that it was the best for a very different fuel....  ::)

And 9.5:1 static? Unless the combustion chamber is really awful, you could be running E10!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 09:23:01 am »
The current theory is to run a squish band that's very tight (minimal clearance between the piston and head) and fairly wide, a flat-top piston and then have a roughly hemispherical combustion chamber in the middle. This allows maximum compression ratio and a good burn with minimal chance of detonation.

How well you can actually acheive that with old design Yamaha heads, is another question...

There are plenty of 2-valve competition car motors that happily run up to 11.5:1 on 98 octane PULP - 10.5:1 is considered safe. Remember that the bigger the bore, the smaller the cam(s)  and air-cooling all increase the chance of detonation.

CamP

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 09:34:02 am »
"Avgas" is not that good for high revving engines of any kind, it was designed for Aircraft engines that predominatly only rev between 2000 to 3000 RPM. Because of this it is very slow burning, it does have a very high anti-knock additive though. This is a very complicated subject that could go on for 100's of pages, best and simplest advice..... buy proper race gas....eg ELF, VP ect... and remember theres all different ratings so you need to talk to the rep on your needs...ie...type of engine....2 or 4 stroke, type of racing, compression ratio, bla bla bla.... this will probably open a can of worms and it's your fault Nathan!!!!

Here come the worms. The big question is what Avgas is available to y'all? The common fuel here is 100LL. It has two grams of lead per US gallon with a distillation curve and specific gravity very similar to to VP Red race gas. It works excellent in two stroke and four stroke mx bikes. It gives excellent throttle response with no spooge and the top end stays nice and clean. The best part is it only costs 1/3 the price of race fuel. Works so go that I beat one of our national champions last Sunday using it my '82 RM250. He was on a YZ490.

Nothing wrong with 100LL Avgas at all.   

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 11:27:18 am »
canoworms?,i'm in ;D,avgas with 20% methanol,my preferred brew, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

pbear62

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 12:26:33 pm »
PLEASE NOTE - I HAVE POSTED THIS AS A VMX RIDER - NOT AS A FUEL SALESMAN!! :o

Hi guys, We run a motorsport engineering company in Perth (building,running etc race & rally cars) & are the WA distributor for ELF race fuels. Prior to taking on the ELF deal, we were using VP, PULP or AVGAS in our cars but did back to back tests & found the ELF to give better results than everything else we tried.

There's plenty of info on the different fuels available on the ELF website at racefuels.com.au however
the two most suitable fuels for bikes are: "BFK07" - which is a 98 octane unleaded fuel (no comparison to the 98 octane swamp water that you can buy at the local servo however!) or "MotoGP" which is 101.7 octane unleaded.

We sell loads of these fuels to guys running everything from modern MX, junior MX, superbikes, 125 & 250 GP bikes & karts & all the feedback we've had from these guys has been positive in terms of performance.(only complaint we've had is the cost of this type of fuel compared to PULP or AVGAS  :()

If you're looking for a bit more performance it'd be well worth trying one of these fuels - our tuner tells me that compared to other mods this is cheap horsepower.

pbear62

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 04:24:04 pm »
Hi Wasp, Which one you'd want depends on what the rule book says - some classes/disciplines only allow up to 100 octane. ie: dirt track karts can only use the 98 but for some reason bitumen karts are allowed to use the 101.7 octane. If you weren't restricted by rules though you'd use the 101.7 stuff. If you're not worried about complying with rules  ;) there is another one you should try called PERFO 105. This is an "unleaded fuel for naturally aspirated or turbo 4 stroke engines" with an octane rating of 113! This one has 16.3% oxygen compared to 2.6% in the 101.7 fuel.
Due to the way the ELF distributorship is setup we can't sell interstate so you'd need to contact the guys at Performance Fuels SA (Craig Rundle - 1300 726 084 or 0413 011 137)